Gift in a jar recipe?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Teacher_Lady, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Dec 16, 2010

Hi everyone!

I am looking to make some inexpensive gifts this year for some of the people I work with and I would like to make some jar gifts. I would like to make some type of snack mixy type recipe. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. :hugs:

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 16, 2010

I made layered cookies in a jar one year for all of my son's teachers. They were a hit. I had teachers request them the next year.

Candy Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe

1/2 C. white granulated sugar
    1/2 C. brown sugar
    1 t. baking soda
    2 C. flour
    1 t. powdered vanilla
    1 C. candy bar chunks - (Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfinger bars, or any chocolate bars)

Use a one quart, wide-mouth canning jar. Pack each layer. Mix the flour, baking soda and powdered vanilla together. Set aside.

To the jar, add the white sugar, then the brown sugar, and then the flour mixture. Place the candy bar chunks in a small plastic bag and place on top. Seal and decorate the jar, and attach the recipe tag to the jar.

Candy Cookies Candy Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe

1/2 C. white granulated sugar
    1/2 C. brown sugar
    1 t. baking soda
    2 C. flour
    1 t. powdered vanilla
    1 C. candy bar chunks - (Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfinger bars, or any chocolate bars)

Use a one quart, wide-mouth canning jar. Pack each layer. Mix the flour, baking soda and powdered vanilla together. Set aside.

To the jar, add the white sugar, then the brown sugar, and then the flour mixture. Place the candy bar chunks in a small plastic bag and place on top. Seal and decorate the jar, and attach the recipe tag to the jar.

Print the following on a cute recipe card and tie to the jar.

Candy Cookies
    You will need:
    1 C. unsalted butter, softened
    1 large egg

Beat the butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add the egg and beat until combined. Pour in contents of jar and blend on low speed just until mixed in. Stir in the candy bar chunks.

Roll the dough into 1 to 1 1/2" balls and place 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges or golden. Cool.

You will need:
    1 C. unsalted butter, softened
    1 large egg

Beat the butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add the egg and beat until combined. Pour in contents of jar and blend on low speed just until mixed in. Stir in the candy bar chunks.

Roll the dough into 1 to 1 1/2" balls and place 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° F. for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges or golden. Cool.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 16, 2010

Also I make these, but I have an Uncle that gets me pecans. These are addictive and kinda expensive.

Christmas Pecans Recipe

1 egg white
    2 C. pecan halves
    1/2 C. firmly packed light brown sugar
    2 t. grated orange rind
    2 T. fresh orange juice
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. cinnamon
    Pam original cooking spray

Whisk egg white in a medium bowl until frothy; toss with pecans and drain well.

Stir together brown sugar and next four ingredients in a large bowl. Add pecans and toss.

Place pecans in a single layer on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° F., stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

Makes 2 cups.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 16, 2010

My friend makes these for her child's teachers.

Crazy Cake Mix in a Jar

2 cups flour
    2/3 cup cocoa powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/3 cups sugar

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, cocoa powder & baking powder. Layer ingredients in jar in order given in a 1 quart canning jar. It is helpful to tap jar lightly on a padded surface (towel on counter) as you layer the ingredients to make all ingredients fit neatly. Use scissors to cut a 9 inch-diameter circle from fabric of your choice. Center fabric circle over lid and secure with a rubber band. Tie on a raffia or ribbon bow to cover the rubber band. Attach a card with the following directions:

Crazy Cake
    3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
    2 tsp. Vinegar
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    2 cups Water

Stir cake ingredients together using a wire whisk or fork, making certain that all ingredients are completely mixed together.

Bake at 350ºF for 35 minutes. Frost as desired or serve sprinkled with powdered sugar, with fresh fruit on the side.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 16, 2010

mra, Thanks for the cake recipe. My GS is here and is party is tomorrow and his mom did not get the teachers a gift. I have everything to make this including the fabric tops.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 16, 2010

hope it helps

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 17, 2010

We made the Crazy Cake in a Jar. Turned out great. I measured everything and put in bowls, and my GS poured it into the jars. We added chocolate chips to fill out the jar. I hope the teachers like it. I kept thinking of all the coffee mugs they will be getting, so was pleased to send something different.

9. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 17, 2010

I made honey walnut butter and basil butter for my colleagues this year. I got the recipe from the sunday magazine back in November. It is so easy:
    Basil butter: 1 pound butter, 1 cup chopped fresh basil
    Blend in food processor.
    Honey walnut butter: 1 pound butter, 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup walnuts. Blend in a food processor.
    1 batch will fill 4 1/2 pint mason jars. I made mini loaves of bread to put in each basket.