gift ideas??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by kem, Apr 10, 2007.

1. kem

kem Companion

Apr 10, 2007

I'm looking for a couple of gift ideas, one for friends getting married (I'm in the wedding), and the other for my SIL and BIL who are having their first baby. Besides the practical and/or items on their registries, I'm wondering if any of you have any creative, personal ideas. Thanks so much!

3. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Apr 10, 2007

For the friend getting married - here's a thought. I always get Lenox picture frames. They're bound to have a really nice picture from their wedding that they want to frame and those picture frames are so beautiful.

If there's a Lenox outlet store near you they always have tons of sales. Unfortunately, the one near us went out of business, but I was able to stock up. 2 of my friends are getting married later this year (July and Sept) and I've already got them their gift (you guessed it...picture frames from Lenox). :)

As for the friend having a baby, I got a friend of mine who recently had a baby a bath towel that had a hood for the baby to use. It was quite cute (kinda like a robe). She loves it! Of course I bought her other things too.

Have fun shopping for your friend/family.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2007

New baby:
    -- Baby Einstein CD's (forget the educational hype. They're the one thing that bought me half an hour to make dinner when my kids were 2 months old.) They're labeled by age.
    --Cloth diapers. They're the BEST for spitup.
    --I love the Lands End diaper bags. They're indestructible. Get a dark color (navy blue?) so daddy won't be mortified to carry it. Also, dark colors hide a multitude of sins.
    -- A restaurant gift certificate and an IOU for free babysitting.
    -- A gift certificate to the local photographers (Sears, Penney's, the Picture People.)

The bride and groom:
    -- A plunger. You don't know you need one until you NEED one!
    -- An address book, all filled out. It makes those Thank You's so much easier!!!
    -- If they're moving to a new neighborhood, hit the internet and find local drycleaners, pizzarias, and so on.
    -- A gift certificate to Home Depot
    -- If they're Christian, consider a nice Nativity set. You can find them online. Who ever has the money at Christmas time? Likewise, consider Christmas decorations or Nikko/Lennox Christmas plates. If they're Jewish, I would imagine a nice Menorah would be a welcome gift.
    -- Will they have access to a yard? How about a BBQ grill? Some lounge chairs for the yard? Plastic plates & serving pieces? A cooler?

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2007

Haha...the best wedding gifts I ever gave were given after the wedding. I took pictures during the wedding then using a craft kit from Michaels, I cut the pictures and put them inside the clear acrylic coasters with pebbles under them then a velvet backing. Unfortunately nobody uses coasters really anymore. I always gave a set of 4.

I like the restaurant gift cert with an IOU for babysitting. Don't expect all new moms to use it before the kid's first birthday especially because it is her first.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 10, 2007

I have heard of this as a cute wedding gift idea, depending on how well you know the couple. Give the groom an industrial sized bottle of Tylenol with a note that says "To cure her headaches" and the bride a kitchen-sized fire extinguisher with a note that says "To put out his fire". both are useful and some humor is thrown in. :)

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 10, 2007

HILARIOUS!!! I Love it. I would send another gift with it, but that is definately a shower gift if I ever saw one.

8. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Apr 10, 2007

If the couple buy a house together before the wedding I might get a house portrait done for them. Other times I have bought a nice park bench for their yard. Otherwise, I give money.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2007

I had completely forgotten this:

I never use bows on new baby gifts. Instead, I use:
    -- pacifier holders. They're small straps that attach on one end to the baby's clothing. The other end can attach to a pacifier or small rattle, so the baby can't play that "let's drop the toy a hundred times" game.
    -- Foot or wrist rattles. The foot ones are small booties, the wrist ones are small velcro straps. But each time the baby moves, they make a noise. So the baby doesn't need the ability to grasp a toy to play. I just got 2 pair of wrist ones to put on the last 2 of the 4 baby gifts for my department this year.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2007

I love my clear glass cutting board I got as a wedding gift. A friend just bought a frame you can put the invite & a wedding photo in.

Baby... a boppy is nice, sippy cups (I know they use them when their older, but nice to have), different size & different thickness of blankets (don't know when baby is due), a cover for the car seat (if fits over infant seat and is nice to keep baby dry if it's raining/snowing (next winter) & snuggly warm. The head thing that goes in infant car seat, we forgot to ask for one, and used it a ton. Outlet covers & cabinet locks.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2007

These are great for when just one adult & baby is in car, so you can hear when the baby moves!!!

We put teething toys & other little toys on our gifts as well!!!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2007

And I love watching them "find" their feet :)

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2007

Ooh, I just remembered, I had a toy with baby #1 that had the foil mirror thing on it, and instead of buying a mirror for the car I tied this to the seat so the baby could see self & I could see baby if I looked in the mirror!!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2007

That where in the world did the sound come from look!!!