Gift Ideas for Cooperating teacher (and possibly students)?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Apr 4, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Apr 4, 2013

I am a student teacher and I only have about four weeks left! I want to get my Cooperating Teacher/Clinical Faculty (depending on which term you use) a thank you gift. She has been wonderful! Do any of you have any ideas?

I need it to be not too expensive (I am low on funds plus do not want to look like I am bribing her for good reviews, haha). I do not think I want to do something for her to use in the classroom because I know teachers vary on whether they like those things as gifts or not plus she is hoping for an admin position next year.

Also, do you think I should get the students a little something? If so any ideas? This would need to be super cheap as there are 21 of them! :) They are in 3rd grade if that helps

Thanks in advance!

3. robertlahm2

robertlahm2 Rookie

Apr 5, 2013

You can gift her a Book and a Pen. You can gift the small kids Color pencils they would love it neither is it expensive.

4. Enseignante<3

Enseignante<3 Companion

Apr 5, 2013

Well, my co-op was pregnant at the time, so it's a little different. I had already given her a baby gift at our class shower, so I gave her Macy's gift card and a note telling her she had to use it on herself. We were/are really close though.

As far as my kiddos, it might be too expensive, but I collected cheap books all year that I thought they would like and gave each kid a book and a personal card.

I also gave each a self- addressed stamped envelope to write to me over the summer! They loved that!

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 5, 2013

Most Master-Teachers know you are on a vow of poverty as a Student-Teacher. I took my cooperating teachers out to lunch (e.g. Subway). It's a simple gesture, it's cheap (<$10) and a meal is still meaningful (as opposed to a gift card). For kids, ANYTHING is fine. The last time I handed out fake mustaches (i.e. pack of 30 costs $6), they were buzzing about them after school.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 5, 2013

I can't remember what I got my mentor teacher when I was a student teacher, probably a gift certificate to the teacher supply store and a card or something. For the kids I gave them something I made. I have always been fascinated with names and their meanings so I bought a Pooh notepad, took individual pictures with the students, looked up the meanings of their names and made little bookmark things. I was able to take them to the workroom and get them laminated for free. Kids love to learn about their names. That would be easy and fun (and cheap).

7. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 5, 2013

I wrote a nice note(well typed) and gave him a $25 gift card to go out to eat. Like John Lee said, they know your probably broke so don't feel like you have to over do it.

One thing I just remembered about my students was that a few of them made me cupcakes on my last day. They made them in their home economics classes. I had cupcakes in each of my 6 classes.:lol: