Gift ideas for a newborn?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Aug 22, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 22, 2008

My neighbor is supposed to have her baby today and I'd like to give her a gift. They're having a boy. I don't know them that well and I feel sorry that they don't have any family around (they're all in India!) What are some gift ideas for a newborn?

P.S. I offered to help them with groceries if they wanted me to. They were thankful but sounded like they were declining to be polite.

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 22, 2008

I like to give books to friends having babies. A home-made dinner or gift certificate for carry-out or delivery is also very welcome with a newborn around.

4. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 22, 2008

here's some ideas

A homemade meal would be a nice touch. The last thing she is going to want to do is cook after giving birth. Make some kind of casserole or something, so that all she has to do is warm it up. Be careful with using meat. I wouldn't include it, just to be on the safe side. If you want to make a meat, maybe something like a turkey meatloaf on the side. Do they eat meat? I have some Indian friends that don't.

Umm, maybe a pack of diapers. They're going to go through those like crazy! Or you could just get some onesies (spelling) for the newborn. :blush:

5. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

Maybe a little outfit? Or some bath supplies?

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

My favorite gift for any of my kids was the woman who packed a laundry basket with baby essentials. There was a pack of diapers, wipes, dreft laudry soap, plain onsies in a couple sizes, a couple rolls of paper towels (those were the first to get used), toilet paper, J&J baby wash, and desitin diaper cream. There was some other little stuff, but I can't remember what it was. Nothing was fancy, but after 9 years, it's the only gift that I really remember, AND remember who gave it to me. Maybe a smaller version of that would be nice.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 22, 2008

I would stay away from food unless you know that they eat "American" food. A basket lined with a pretty receiving and then filled with baby essentials would be very welcomed, I'm sure. Wipes, shampoo, q-tips, baby wash, baby lotion, perhaps a small toy would be most welcomed by any new mom.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 22, 2008

Dinner would be nice. Or a treat for the Mom like lotion or chocolate. I like to buy a baby outfit for like 12 month or 18 month size. Everyone always buy newborn sizes.

9. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008

I know I'd appreciate gift cards for dinners. When I had Jeannie a friend made us a roast with vegetables. She put it in a freezer ziploc bag, and then even supplied a disposable pan to reheat it in. It was a treat, even though it was only one time, to not have to make sure everyone was fed.

10. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 22, 2008

Peggy - I do the same thing! You go to a baby shower & EVERYONE gets newborn or 0-3 months. I always opt to buy 6-9months or 12months because the parents will have little to nothing in those sizes!

I really like the basket idea! Very thoughtful.

Oh I love shopping for babies. Some of the outfits are so cute. I just bought my cousin a couple of cute outfits - one being a denim dress with the word love printed across it (Carter's has such cute stuff!)

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

I say receiving blankets or a little bigger. Wipes & diapers a necessity. If you're going to get a baby outfit my fav when they were infants were the "bag sleepers." Basically a the outfit has arms, but then hangs like a little bag. These are so awesome when they are so little because you don't have to pull their legs out to get into outfits. (The just want to be little balls anyway.) I can tell you mine were in those things for quite awhile when we were just home!!! Also very easy for middle of the nite changes.

I actually liked & recommend "butt paste" diaper cream. It works really well.

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

butt paste is awesome!

I'd stay away from food and clothing if you do not know their preference with the culture.

Add a tulip bulb to any gift?

A baby swing for an outdoor tree? Walmart just had them on clearance.

Huge LEGOS. My sons used those as soon as they sat up.

Baby Einstein DVD

Lullaby CD

I loved my mosquito net that went over the stroller.

Blow up bath tubs are a must have. They fit in the tub, are small and soft.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

Just thought of a couple a boppy pillow or a bouncy seat...those are must haves as well.

14. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

I agree - babies grow so quickly many times you might get one or two wearings out of a newborn baby outfit. You can never go wrong with diapers. I always give a "gift certificate" for my babysitting services so the parents can go out for a quiet dinner on their own or even just food shopping together, and know their child is being left with another mother - sometimes that's easier for them to do than leaving the child with a teenage babysitter.

15. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I appreciated when people brought a covered dish, because it made my life so much easier in the early weeks.

I am a baby sling giver. My kids lived in my Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, until they were about 3. It freed my hands up to do other things, and when they were tiny, they would sleep.

If you don't feel comfortable with the making of food, a grocery gift card, and maybe letting them order on line, and you pick up their stuff, is something nice to do. It is so hard to get out of the house with a newborn, so someone to run errands is a huge help.

16. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I had a baby in March, and meals were the best gift we received. We have care groups in our Sunday School class, and they fed us every night for 2 weeks. It was wonderful! I understand if you're not sure about the culture though. A gift certificate to a local grocery store would be appreciated.
    Here are some other gifts that I remember enjoying:
    *a basket full of nursing supplies
    *an itzbeen timer (This thing has been a lifesaver in the middle of the night! It keeps up with the amount of time between feedings and other things.) This was by far my most used gift.
    *BeBe pod seat
    *blankets
    *hooded towels
    *books
    I received so many nice things. I'm sure they will appreciate anything you give them. I know I did.