gift for my student teacher

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by hoku625, May 1, 2010.

1. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

May 1, 2010

My student teacher's last day is Thursday and I want to give her something besides the student's gift/cards to her. What would you like to receive from your cooperating teacher? I'm thinking gift certificate but it seems so boring...

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 1, 2010

I gave mine a photo album with pictures of the students, and different activities we had done in class with her.

4. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

May 1, 2010

I received an awesome "classroom starter" basket...it was something that my coop. teacher, the classroom mom, and the students pitched in for. Inside had great things like a calendar pocket chart, flash cards, games, pencils, stamps, visa-v markers, erasers, etc. It was all stuff inside this great plastic file storage container that I can use later. They even put in a whole pack of scrapbook paper too which I thought was a nice touch...so I can make a scrapbook for my first classroom. It was extremely thoughtful of them to do and I'm so grateful!

I'd say definitely something for your student teacher's first classroom. I'm a poor college student so anything little thing helps!

5. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

May 1, 2010

I think this is a great idea...they can use this for their portfolio!

Something heartfelt is always nice too. I'm a sucker for homemade things! I've had a teacher in the past give me this great clipboard which she made all snazzy and colorful. It was unique and something I'll hold on to.

6. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 1, 2010

I like the album idea. Maybe with it a teacher bag(or other such useful bucket/basket) filled with goodies for the classroom. Stickies, markers, pens, etc.

BTW, a gift card is NEVER a boring gift for the receiver. LOL But I get what you mean.

7. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

May 1, 2010

I got a gift basket for my new classroom as well. Also, each student drew a picture and wrote "thank you for helping me with ________" and my CT had it made into a book. I loved it!

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 1, 2010

The LA teacher had all of the 7-8 grade students spend most of a week making individualized cards for me. They were very touching. I got several neat "nick nacks" from the other teachrs, but my CT gave me the most unique (and practical) gift.

She downloaded several special programs and applications for the SmartBoard onto a jump drive for me. When I get my own classroom, I have all of these applications already set-up and ready to go!

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 1, 2010

I got my first nice teacher bag from my cooperating teacher. I LOVED it. Each kid brought a school supply in to fill it (pencils, paper clips, etc).

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 2, 2010

Mine got a lot of gift cards and I gave him a NASCAR hat. Totally nothing to do with school. But it seemed to work for him. He looked awfully cute wearing it all day on his last day.

(I hope he didn't join this forum like I told him to. But I did tell him he looked cute in it, so if he did join, he'd better not read anything into what I just wrote.)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 2, 2010

I buy my STs a copy of Wong's 'First Days of School' and create a teacher supply basket as kimrandy described.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 2, 2010

I've always liked the idea of a basket with pens, a gradebook, Tools for Teaching, white out, etc, and a gift card to a place like Lakeshore or something.

13. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 2, 2010

On my last day of my first placement I got cards from all of the kids and the teacher gave me a copy of a picture book that I had read the class and loved.

On the last day of my second placement I got a book with a page by each child based on the book The Important Book and the teacher gave me a gift card to Barnes and Noble and a teacher book he had got from his cooperating teacher when he did his student teaching, he gave it to me telling me that he was passing on the knowledge and he hoped that I would pass it on whenever I would have a student teacher in the future.

Each of the things meant something to me and I still have everything (except the gift card, but I still have the books I used it to buy).

14. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

May 2, 2010

Thank you everyone for all the great ideas!!

15. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

May 2, 2010

My team ususally jumps starts the student teacher on things they will need their first year of teaching. In a bookbag we buy Expo markers, notepads, and EZ grader, good pens for him/her. We usually have a "send off social" too. The last 30 minutes of the day we lay out food for the team (teachers, students, etc. to snack on with the student teacher getting first dibs/being first in line). Of course homemade cards, and posters are great as well.

16. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 2, 2010

My supervising teacher got me one of these folding baskets from Target and had all of my kids put their handprints on it in different colors. Then she filled it with scissors, memo pads, pens, a stapler, and a desk-top alphabet easel. It was so cool. Two years later, I still use that basket in my room and I always think of her and the kids when I see it.

Incidentally, I think it's awesome that you're getting her/him a gift. I had two supervising teachers. I got the first one a $25 amazon.com gift card and she didn't get me anything. But my second one went all out for me. I think I got her a gift basket full of goodies. She was a sweetie and made me feel 10 feet tall when I left that place. A great way to start my career! :)

17. juhesihcaaa

juhesihcaaa Rookie

May 18, 2010

As a student, you can NEVER go wrong with a gift card. Personally, I like it to be things I can't really afford to do myself (dinner or movies, stuff like that).
    And the gift basket thing seems awesome!

18. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 19, 2010

The teacher starter kit sounds amazing! I would put things in there that you use on a regular basis that she would never think she would need her first year (Highlighter tape, Whisper phones, etc). Also a gift card to Lakeshore or your local teacher supply store would be awesome.