Gift for Long-Term sub

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LAsprint28, Oct 21, 2009.

1. LAsprint28

LAsprint28 New Member

Oct 21, 2009

I am returning to school from maternity leave and wanted to get my long term sub a gift from the kids and myself, but I'm at a loss for ideas. Any suggestions?!

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 21, 2009

Do you want something more than a gift card? Gift cards are always nice though.

4. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 22, 2009

I think gift cards are nice. Or, after you get back, you could get the kids to write a memory about the substitute and bind it into a book!

5. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Oct 22, 2009

How about a hardback copy of a favorite read aloud? Have the students sign it.

6. LAsprint28

LAsprint28 New Member

Oct 22, 2009

These are great ideas! Thanks!

7. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 22, 2009

Definitely something with the kids writing! That would be my favorite, just something the kids all wrote on.

I love the idea of a book written by the kids with a favorite memory or something all bound and laminated. How precious! I love it! Don't type it though, have the students actually write it. aw! Great idea!

That is so thoughtful of you!

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2009

I bought mine a very nice Lenox vase and had each kid bring her a flower to help fill it.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2009

How nice of you. I agree w/ gift cards since you really don't know what people like. Gift cards to a bookstore or office supply store are nice. You can ask in a casual way one day what restaurants or clothing store the sub likes, so you can make sure to get a GC there.

Here's another thought: I think another thing subs would really appreciate is if you offer to write them a nice letter of recommendation for whatever they're striving for in the future.

I'd be willing to take a letter in addition to a less expensive gift! :)

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 23, 2009

I got a $50 gift card to Target along with a nice card with a note in from the teacher saying how great it was to be able to enjoy her baby and know that everything was covered at school. She also wrote me a wonderful recommendation letter.

As far as the kids, on the last day I had them, the room moms threw a little party and I got cards and gifts from them.

11. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 23, 2009

Very nice idea.

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

I just finished a long term sub position. The teacher sent me a bouquet of beautiful flowers delivered from a florist and in front of the students, with a note saying, "thanks for being such a wonderful teacher." I was touched. I was also pleased that the students were able to witness her kindness and how much I appreciated it. We enjoyed it together.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2009

heavens54, that's really nice actually!

14. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Oct 27, 2009

I'm looking for the "like" button.

:thumb:

15. black123

black123 Rookie

Oct 27, 2009

I would get a gift card to a bookstore like, Borders, and put it in an envelope with a letter of recommendation, and a photo of the whole class. I'm thinking of things that my teacher did for me when I finished student teaching. They also gave me a mug because I like to drink coffee, and a book for new teachers. But, because this was a longtime sub, not a student teacher, I would recommend the above answer. I hope that helps!

16. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Nov 2, 2009

I love the vase idea!
    I got mine an oversized hardcover copy of Charlotte's Web- a story she read to my class while I was gone on maternity leave.

When I volunteered in a class for a year during my undergrad the teacher got me a lap desk (the kind with a flat, hard plastic top and a pillow-type thing underneath). She had all the kids sign the top and told me it was for me to correct papers when I got a job. She actually ended up as my mentor when I was hired and I still use the lap desk.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2009

This is what I have done for my student teachers in the past.