Gift for a 3yr old girl??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Newto3rd, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 16, 2009

I'm trying to decide what to get a cousin's little girl for her birthday. I need some ideas. She's turning 3. I always like to get gifts that they can use and usually that promote health or education.

I don't like to buy "toys" unless they're educational in some way. And I'd rather not get a gift card.

Thanks for any help!

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

Well I think kids love getting several little toys. I spent about $8 and bought 2 kids : glow in the dark silly putty, those wooden airplanes you assemble, mini m & m's, and a pad of paper since they love to draw. They were fascinated with everything and I like how it encourages play!

What about books, sidewalk chalk, bug catcher, etc

4. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

I like to buy games they can play with their parents or friends. My daughter now 5 got Bumparena? (I can't remember exactly but it's a Cranium game) when she was 3 and we still play. She also loves Cha-Cha Chicken and Zingo (it's bingo with pics and words). This age loves bubbles, playdoh etc.
    Depending on how close you are to her--give her an experience. We do this with our neices, the zoo, bowling, butterfly exhibit, etc. I take lots of pics and then go to Walgreens.com and print an 11x14 collage of their day. They loved it.
    Have fun!

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 16, 2009

There is a Leapfrog toy called a Tag that works really well on preliteracy skills. They now have a jr. version
    http://www.leapfrog.com/tag/

I also like the Leapfrog Word Whammer
    http://www.leapfrog.com/en/fridge_phonics/wwfridgephonics.html

But, you know what? When my kids were that age, they would have gotten the most enjoyment out of a bag full of various arts and crafts stuff: crayons, playdough, pipe cleaners, pom-poms, wiggly eyes, construction paper, glue, wooden shapes, watercolors, markers, etc. And that's educational, too, because it will build her fine motor skills, preparing her to be ready to write. Michael's has this cool lap desk thing (and they're on sale, I think) that we often buy as gifts. We stuff the side pockets with arts stuff, and I give my kids paint markers and let them decorate the desk for the birthday kid.
    http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=kd0947

And another cool thing: a butterfly house.
    http://www.amazon.com/Insect-Lore-1...e=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1245179723&sr=1-2

Kim

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 16, 2009

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 16, 2009

Some fun stuff that's cheap... sidewalk chalk, the "magic" coloring crayola books & markers...some with books others with just blank paper (also fingerpaints). Dollar store has matching a top half of pic with bottom half. Shovel & pail.

I'll go with Kimrandy...any artsy stuff.

If she knows colors what about Candy Land, Memory (all sorts of characters now) or Uno even.

8. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Thanks for the ideas! I was leaning towards arts and crafts stuff or outdoor summer items like chalk and bubbles. Maybe I can make a basket.

I haven't been around any preschoolers in a while and simply didn't know what was appropriate. :)

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jun 16, 2009

Funny, you're the 2nd person tonight that I've answered this question for, lol.

I work at a daycare and spend most of my time with the 3-4 year olds. Most of them LOVE arts/crafts, so anything you could find on the Crayola aisle would be a big hit. I also like the 'outdoor' gift basket that you mentioned.

Another thing that is a huge hit with this age group is "pretend" play -- anything like play food, play appliances (iron, phone), etc they will play with for hours at a time.

10. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 16, 2009

Thanks!! I've just got to get to the store now! :)

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

I hope I'm not too late....

I REALLY like "old fashioned" toys for little ones. I love toys that don't do anything, that the child has to use her imagination to make do things. Along those lines I like legos (the big ones for the little children, and a child can never have enough), train tracks (the wooden ones that come with the sturdy trains), lincoln logs, building blocks and things of that nature. Its amazing the intricate set ups even a 3 year old can come up with with those sorts of toys (I'm thinking here of a working catapult made by a certain child of mine when he was just barely 3).

My kids will go for the low tech toys over the electronic toys almost every time. As a matter of fact, I just FORCED them to go play the playstation to give me a break.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 16, 2009

Oh, and I like those sorts of toys because they're great for stimulating their imaginations and brain development...particularly spacial sense.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 16, 2009

For boys, I usually buy a real flashlight.

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

oh, everyone has already said it...artsy is the way to go!!! I thought of adding a pair of scissors too, but you might want to ask mama about that one ;).

You can also buy some "dress-up" clothes...I remember my daughter got a tutu from her aunt and she practially lived in that thing!! :)

I also like the idea about giving them an experience and then making a collage/photo book.

I'm dying to find out what you're going to get her. :)

And if you're going to make a "gift basket"...you could purchase one of those beach pails (instead of a basket)...to "house" the gifts.

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

oh cool! :thumb: I never thought of that either!

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2009

Have you seen the Lincoln Logs (not named that), but have magnets in the grooves so they stand up MUCH better... I think a Toys R Us!!!

17. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 17, 2009

I got it, y'all!! I bought a pink plastic crate (couldn't find a pail - good idea though!!) and put construction paper, glue, glue sticks, scissors (didn't ask mom - oh well!), crayons, ruler (wouldn't normally buy this for a 3 yr. old - it was only 50 cents and cute), sidewalk chalk, and bubbles!! I think she'll LOVE it!!

Thanks everyone! :) :) :)

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 17, 2009

I've never seen ones that look like lincoln logs, but Magnetix are GREAT for building stuff, though 3 would be a little young for them.

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2009

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 17, 2009

Oh, cool, Diznee. Maxnetix does make them, though. I never realized they made those, or I'd have bought them for my youngest son ages ago. His favorite toys are his older brothers' regular magnetix sets and his lincoln log set. Combine the two and I might never see my child again.

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2009

Hmmm....I was thinking that there had been "swallowing" issues with the magnetix and they were taking them off the market...am I thinking of something else???

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 17, 2009

There were issues with some of the parts and younger children. I think they wound up raising the recommended ages for the toys. It'll be a sad day if they go off the market. They're great toys.