Gift exchange and class gifts for 7th graders

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lbradley1718, Nov 29, 2014.

1. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Nov 29, 2014

Every year I always get each student in my homeroom class a Christmas gift. I try not to spend more than $2 for each child. Previously I taught Kindergarten and third grade and I would get each child a coloring book, crayons, and a candy cane. Sometimes I did Dollar Tree Christmas mugs with a packet of hot chocolate inside marshmallows, and a candy cane. This year I'm teaching 7th grade (30 students in my homeroom) and I have no clue what to get! Any suggestions?!

Also, every year I do a gift or book exchange where every student brings in an item and we exchange gifts the day before Christmas break. When I taught Kinder the kinder brought a small gift no more than $10. They were told before hand if it had to be for a boy or girl. When I taught third grade I had my students bring in a non gender-specific book. Do you know of a way I can do this with 7th grade?

P.S. I always have a few items on reserve in case a student doesn't bring his/her item or can't afford it.

Thanks in advance!

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 30, 2014

I do personalized pencils every year from forteachersonly.com. Here's a link: http://www.forteachersonly.com/static/personalizedpencil.php
    The kids love them - I think 7th graders would love them too. There are pens as well.

I may also make each kid some kind of personalized bookmark. I saw something about Wordle bookmarks on Pinterest.

No idea about the gift exchange - I've never heard of someone doing that, so I have no experience. :)

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 30, 2014

I would have LOVED personalized pencils in upper elementary and middle school! (heck, I kind of want some now...lol) When I first read this thread, I was actually thinking back to my own 7th grade year...I distinctly remember having a set of mechanical pencils with different barrel colors...I even made a chart in my planner that told me when (like during what periods and times of the day) I was to use each pencil. Kind of nuts...but subbing has taught me that the middle schoolers are still a bit nuts like that! I definitely think special writing utensils would be a hit.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 30, 2014

Oh, I order a set for myself ("Mrs ___") every year, too. :D

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2014

My gift to my students is the same every year:
    - a hot chocolate "bar" with sprinkles, whipped cream, candy canes, etc
    - an afternoon of making and decorating gingerbread (graham cracker) houses
    - a holiday movie (either Elf of Polar Express)
    - I adopt an animal through the WWF in the class' name

Some of my students have asked to do a Secret Santa, but I'm not going to--I have too many who can't, or won't participate.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 30, 2014

I've used the forteachersonly site several times. Prices are great.

7th graders may be hard to please, so I'd probably go with a candy gift from the teacher. Pencils are always safe, though.

In the past, hurt feelings seem to always have arisen from any kind of gift exchange or secret santa thing. And the kids aren't mature enough to hide it. I'd just avoid it completely.

8. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Nov 30, 2014

Thanks so much for these suggestions everyone! I think Im definitely going to go with the personalized pencils! Thanks for sharing the website with me...I've never used it before. I can see myself using it a ton in the future! I will probably have each kid a gift bag and and give them their personalized pencils along with some candy, a package of hot chocolate (maybe some marshmallows in a separate bag), and a candy cane.

The hot chocolate bar sounds cool too!

I probably won't do the gift/book exchange this year. I can't think of a good way to do it with 7th graders and I just don't want the responsibility this year. Lol

Thanks again!

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 1, 2014

Yay, glad you like the pencils! Make sure you order quickly - the shipping gets slower closer to Christmas.

I thought of this thread today because some of my 5th graders started asking to do a secret Santa gift exchange. I don't know though....it makes me nervous. Maybe I'll do a secret Santa card exchange where they have to make a card for someone in the class...I don't know.