Gift Cards? Yes or No

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 27, 2012

From what I read here and other places, I'm one of the few people who likes gift cards. :blush:

I love to shop, and I love finding bargains. I can make a gift card or money go a long way. People who give me presents know what I like, so I get cards to my favorite stores and restaurants.

I'm currently carrying around cards for Panera, Outback, Kohl's, Lowes, Macy's, Dillard's, Shell, and Walmart.

I like that when I go to the big city on Saturday that I can shop for free. :thumb:

Surely I can't be the only one who likes gift cards. :confused:

I don't really like getting stuff. I like picking my own things.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2012

I like gift cards. But not impersonal ones that seem to have been picked up as a last minute thought or ones to stores/restaurants I don't go to.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2012

Like them.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2012

I like gift cards.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2012

I love gift cards at certain times. Like I remember my friend who got married had a "gift card wedding shower" which I thought was a GREAT idea. Everyone got her gift cards to one of 3 stores and then she and her husband got to go get whatever they needed. They were a new couple just moving in together so they needed everything.

But for birthdays/Christmas stuff I prefer actual things. This year my novio gave me $ to buy myself more bras and although that was extremely nice of him, I would have rather he got me something.

Like someone mentioned on Em's thread about the Seinfeld episode where he gives "cash". It's just weird to me. I'd prefer nothing over cash/gift card.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2012

I like gift cards. I also like to give them, but they don't always work in every situation. For example, if you have a friend for whom you usually get a small present, let's say $10-15 (you can get some cute things, that are personal), a gift card for that amount doesn't look that good in my opinion.
    But for my ex-husband's ex-wife and her son (my daughter's stepbrother) I wasn't sure what to get. So I got them both a $50 visa gift card, and they can decide how to spend it. The amount was nice, and I didn't end up getting something they didn't like. I definitely didn't know what to get for her son. They both liked it.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 27, 2012

I like them a lot from anyone except my BF. I'd prefer he got me something more personal. I appreciate the thought he puts in much more than anything else. He and my mom know me better than anyone, so they're great at giving me gifts.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2012

I like them...as long as it's to a place I like to go to. My hubs got gift cards this year for Christmas and he was thrilled!

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 27, 2012

I love gift cards! Hopefully my other thread didn't give u the wrong idea. I was only upset at boyfriend b/c his giftcard was to a place I go for work, not to buy things for me that I enjoy.

When giftcards are from close friends or family, I expect them to be for places I like. For instance, for my bday I got giftcards for:

1. Amazon
    2. Sephora
    3. Target
    4. Applebee's
    5. ITunes
    6. Bath and Bodyworks

I was thrilled because I'm a thrifty person so I splurge when I get gift cards. Like normally I just buy the lotion and body mist of my favorite scent @ Bath and Body. When I get a giftcard I buy the lotion, the body butter/cream, body wash, a loofah, the bubble bath, pillow mist, etc. :)

11. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 27, 2012

I love gift cards. I spent most of mine today. Hey, if anyone doesn't want card I'll take it off your hands:) I'll even swing by and pick it up!

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2012

I love gift cards...don't care what occasion or the sentiment involved...I just like gift cards.

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2012

I'm going to agree with this. Especially since we live together and share all expenses it's weird for him to give me money or a gift card. Because it's "our" money to begin with! Whenever either of us buys anything "we" pay for it. So I'd prefer for him to put in the time and pick out something for me.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2012

I love giftcards too!

I prefer giftcards for Target, Amazon, and Old Navy.

I agree with Czacza that I wouldn't be too happy if there was no thought behind the card. I got one (when I was around 20) to Toys R Us. Really?

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2012

I like gift cards also, as long as they're to places that I go. I get a lot of Starbucks gift cards at school, but I don't drink coffee at all. I usually give them to my husband.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2012

I like getting Starbucks gift cards. That place is WAY too expensive so I don't ever go there. So if I have a gift card, I can get something yummy without feeling guilty. :D

17. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Dec 27, 2012

I love gift cards, one year my mom got me one from Victoria Secret ( a store I never go in) and I had so much fun picking out PJs and t-shirts.

18. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 27, 2012

I like gift cards. If I give someone a gift card, I usually get something small to go along with it (chocolates, ornament, etc.).

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 27, 2012

I like gift cards, it's better then having to return something I don't like. Because of gift cards I've gone shopping (or out to eat) at places I don't normally go to.

Cash always seems to go to pay bills.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2012

I like gift cards, too. Not from a significant other though!

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 27, 2012

I love gift cards, but not from my wife. Likewise, I wouldn't give her a gift card.

22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 27, 2012

I like them in general but wouldn't want them from someone I was close too. Its impersonal and shows the person didnt take the time or thought to choose a gift. When I was younger and we still exchanged with extended family I liked getting gift cards from them bc they didnt know me well enough to pick out something I liked. Since we werent close the sentiment didnt bother me. Now if someone has specifically asked for gift cards thats different.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 27, 2012

I like getting both gift cards and actual things. Either way, I prefer them to be things/cards to places I like or want. We had a gift card exchange at one of the family Christmas parties this year. Gift cards to places we can't access or don't go to are not much fun, but I love to go shopping without spending my money.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 27, 2012

My mom is a difficult person to buy gifts for. Therefore, my dad, sister, brother, and I buy her gift cards.

There's a locally-owned downtown women's clothing store that she absolutely loves. Whether it's Mother's Day, her birthday, Christmas, or any other special occasion, I buy her a gift card that she can use at this establishment.

She actually called me yesterday and told me about all the great sales she found and affirmed how much she loves when I buy her a gift card she can use there.

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2012

I think gift cards CAN be personal, depending on the person. For example if you know that's what they prefer, then it's not that you got lazy or didn't put any thought into it.

For example: my daughter. She's 15. And she is impossible to shop for. for one I can't buy her clothes, because apparently I don't know what a 15 year old would wear. This started when she was about 11 or 12, anything I bought for her she ended up not wearing. It was a waste of money. She has pretty much everything she needs, even her own laptop. I'm sorry but I can't afford to buy her a Kindle fire, an iPad, or even an iPod. (I don't even have any of these). Or an iphone.
    The best thing for her is that I give her cash and we can go shopping at her favorite clothing store: Closet. They have really cute things, I even like what they have, and most of them will cost between $10-$25. So she's very happy with cash, and it's not impersonal.

26. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2012

As someone else mentioned, I'm more likely to splurge with a gift card. So for me, a gift card can be a personal gift. My parents and siblings know I won't pay to eat out much, so a gift card to somewhere like Panera is a special treat. Now if you go there all the time and would spend that money anyway, it doesn't seem as special.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2012

I like gift cards. And I actually like the general Visa ones, because then I can save them up to get something I really want.

Sometimes, I think they're a little bit better than a present. I have to return something later today, and I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a hassle.

28. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 28, 2012

I think gift cards can be personal/thoughtfully handled or throwaways. I love my Sweets, but his idea of getting a gift for most people involves swinging by the grocery store "gift card mall" kiosk and grabbing something. I've tried to get something physical to go along with the gift cards as much as possible as well. I did get his brother a gift card to a specialty store he really likes. Gift cards are great if a)they are trying to save up for something big like a new grill and/or b)it can be used to enhance or add to things they already have like a kindle or iAnything. His parents gave us a gift card with a memebership to Costco this year. We just need to take it in and have it activated. Now that is a cool gift.

29. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 28, 2012

We just did that, DH & I went to the movies earlier this week & only spent $5 because we had saved up the gift cards.

We save VISA cards & use them on vacation.

MIL used to get me a GC to either Michael's or Joanne's. Loved it!

30. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 28, 2012

I like getting them when they say how much they are for! I got one from a student this year for a restaurant and it doesn't have an amount on it. It's also a very small local restaurant that doesn't have a place to check it's worth by calling or online. I wouldn't usually go to this restaurant as I think it can be pricey. I'm not sure if it's enough to go out to eat or just enough to get coffee. I guess I'll find out someday.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2012

32. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2012

Hahahahahaha!!!! That's awesome!!! Who would think of something like that? It's so clever and would never ever work.:lol:

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2012

34. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2012

Let's see, I got a $25 gift card for B&N from a student and I spent it on my son's gift. I got a $10 Panera card that I promised to my other son for a date. No wonder I'm not having any fun this year!
    I do love gift cards. As others said, I'm more likely to splurge on something.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2012

I love gift cards, no matter the occasion! I got a couple of Target gift cards for a total of $25 from work people, so that's always great.

36. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 30, 2012

I bought gift cards for my husband's partner and his kids. I placed them in a photo frame that had family on it. I hate giving just cards.

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 30, 2012

I always pair a gift card with a small personal gift. I really like gift cards as long as its for a store I would normally go to.