Gift Bag for Subs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sundrop, Aug 14, 2008.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

Somewhere I read the idea of leaving a little gift bag on the desk for subs as a way of saying thank you. I think this would be a nice gesture but am wondering what to put in it. Do any of you do this or does your school do this for subs?

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

Never saw anything like this when I was subbing, but it is a cute idea. Maybe just some snacks for the day or a cute pencil or two?
    It's nothing big, but it is still a nice idea, I like it.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2008

I don't do this. While I do think it is a nice gesture, I really don't see myself doing it ever.

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 14, 2008

When I miss it is because I am unable to make it more than a few feet away from the bathroom...otherwise I'd love to do it.

Maybe instead I'll keep quarters in the sub-folder for a can of pop?

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

I often leave the sub a teabag, a granola bar, and the location of my large bottle of Advil! :lol:

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

I posted before that the student council at a school I subbed in a few years back brought sub gifts. It was basically a styrofoam cup filled with a tea bag and hot cocoa bag. I believe it had a few small pieces of candy (mini-candy bars, maybe) and a thank you note. It really made me feel appreciated, as subs often feel uncomfortable at schools they have never worked at before.

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

Geez, when I was subbing, I'd have been happy to just have lesson plans left for me! :)

It is a sweet idea, but probably only for those really good, call-them-by-name subs.

9. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

So subs that aren't in the building often aren't good?? I subbed a lot of different places, wherever I could get a job, it doesn't mean I'm not good!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 14, 2008

sundrop, well you're definitely one in a million! I've been a sub for a long time & no one's ever done this nor have I ever heard of anyone doing this. I've never even heard of districts showing their subs appreciation by doing something special for them. Many people will probably agree that it's a nice gesture, but whether it's realistic in teachers' minds to do, I don't think so, unfortunately.

I think it's a fabulous thing to do if there's a certain sub who always subs for you all the time & when you request this person, they're usually available, etc., but as far as just giving a gift to every person who's ever subbed for you even if they subbed for just a day or two, that's quite a bit to spend financially.

But, if you have the funds to do this kind of thing, that's wonderful!

As far as gifts to put in a little bag, how about 2 or 3 of these:

- writing pen (nothing fancy, but nice)
    - sample size of hand lotion
    - $5 Starbucks gift card
    - little package of post-it notes
    - purse size package of tissue
    - little bottle of anti-bacterial hand gel

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 14, 2008

I leave change for the coke machine and directions on finding it.

12. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

A little bit more explanation...I work at a fairly small parochial school, about 250 students K-8, and the principal has a hard time finding subs to fill in for teachers. We have a couple of regulars but if they are already booked up somewhere else or if we need more than two a day it is a problem. I was thinking a small token of appreciation for subs might help build up our pool of people to draw from. I like the ideas you have mentioned. Just a quick note of thanks and a little snack would be nice I think. I am going to suggest it to the Principal and to the PTO.

I agree that when I was subbing I would have been glad just to have seating charts and lesson plans but wouldn't you feel really good to come in and find a little treat and know that you are appreciated?

13. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

No, not at all. But when you start to request a sub by name, because you know they can handle your class, and you like what they do while you're gone, then they're worth a little extra gift.

14. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

In my sub plans I leave directions to find my bottle of advil, my chocolate stash, and my emergency soda change. (on top of very detailed plans) This way, even if I make unexpected plans from home, this is still available. One of the subs who was always in the building started coming into my room for advil or chocolate when she wasn't in for me because I was the only one who had made these available! I always got really good notes from the subs about the day and most thanked me for the "subbing staples" I had left. :)

15. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

We leave binders for our subs in the office. They are emergency lesson plans we have to turn in at the beginning of each new school year. It also contains all the information you will need for the day. I would have been mad not to recieve a lesson plan.

I leave a nice thank you card and can of pop. Sometimes if the mood strikes candy of some sort. I rarely miss mostly school science functions or district meetings. :D

16. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

I think even change for a soda is a good enough. I think the point is more making the sub feel welcome and giving a gesture of thanks than the point being to spend lots of money. Although it is small, I would've really appreciated even something like this when I was a sub.

17. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 14, 2008

I really like this idea. I have a sub tub, so it would be really easy to put a small gift bag in there and just replace it after I'm out. I love the idea of a tea bag (I have a hot water maker in the room and mugs), a hot chocolate packet, maybe a packet of popcorn, some chocolate and a thank-you note. I'm not sure we're going to have a pop machine. I hope I'm not out, but if I am, it def. is nice to thank the sub.

18. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

Your response made me laugh!

19. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 14, 2008

Ditto- Plus since I "co-teach" and have assistants in my room- my last two schools haven't really put the sub in my place- but used them elsewhere in the building anyway.

If I call in sick- I'm really really really really sick. Like last time I called in sick unexpectedly it was from the "23 hour observation room of the ER."

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 14, 2008

I usually leave a bottle of water and a candy bar.