Ghosts, con'td...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by StudentTeach, Feb 19, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

This is a continuation of JustMe's original post since that one is almost out of room.

From the original post:
    What are you thoughts about ghosts, spirits, those who have died, passed on...you get the idea...specifically regarding their connections to the living?

I have very vivid and lucid dreams and have dreamed about my father who passed away and my grandmother who passed away. Both times I communicated with them in the dream knowing (in the dream) that they were no longer living. In the one with my father he appeared next to me on a couch and we were tele-communicating in our minds. I asked him "Can the dead really communicate with the living?" and he shook his head no and said, "I'm only a figment of your imagination." I said, "If you're only my imagination, then why wouldn't I tell myself we CAN communicate?" Right after I asked that question I woke up.... really strange. My best friend also had a dream about him three days before he died, but he wasn't conscious during those days. He came to her apartment and told her to take care of me.

In the dream with my grandmother I was in her house where she used to live. My grandfather had told me a few weeks earlier at Thanksgiving that he thought my grandma was haunting his house by turning lights on in the middle of the night. I asked her in the dream if she was haunting him and she laughed and said, "No, but it's someone named Andrew." Freaky.

I've also had some other experiences while I was awake, but I'll save those for another post!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 19, 2011

I take an Albus Dumbledore stance on this:

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
    “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

4. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

I really like that stance ;)

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

Well, this is not really a ghost experience per se, but I wonder what it is. Last year my sister called me to tell me of a horrible dream she had of our brother. He had died in her dream and she woke up crying. She kept saying how real it was, and that she tried to get a hold of him with no luck until a few days later when he assured her he was fine. I thought my sister was about to say something horrible had happened to him, because she was really upset about it. Well, about 2 months later that same brother she dreamed about (only 48) had a heart attack and died. This is not the first time she has dreamed something and it has happened. So, where does that information come from? Her dreams always come to pass, and I have warned her to not dream about me because of it....

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 19, 2011

I've experienced things that were unexplainable. It's fun to think there is something like ghosts out there.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

Has anyone attempted communication with those who have died?

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

I agree. PLus, what do we make of all those shows like "Paranormal State" (a favorite of mine) and "Ghost Hunters" and the like. Of course, we can say it's all invented for TV, and there might be a lot of truth to that. But, we know there are many, many people who actually do believe in ghosts, therefore how can all of it be invented for TV? If you believe in God, such as I do, then you likely believe in the existence of angels and demons, and sometimes I wonder if those things might be interpreted to us as ghosts.

Oh, another thing. Before my mom died, she had been kept alive on a machine. The doctor said there really wasn't any hope and we agreed to turn the machine off. Low and behold, Mom pops up hungry, and said she came back to take care of business, which was to get my brother (the one who had a heart attack, the one my sis dreamed about) off of the financial documents (he had had a long history with drugs, selling drugs, stealing, and while he had supposedly been sober for the last 10 years at the point of my mom's death, it is very likely that he had fallen back into drugs, which might explain the heart attack at age 48) So, again, where did that information come from? I don't know who or what she was talking to while she was unconscious and on that breathing machine, but somehow she got that important information. After she removed my brother as the financial controller, she finally passed away. But I really want to know how these things happen.

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 19, 2011

and then there is Déjà vu . . . I don't think I have ever experienced anything ghostly but I do strongly, strongly experience Déjà vu. So strongly that I know what will happen next, know everything, smells, clothing, noises . . it is rather freaky. I guess the strangest part of my experiences with Déjà vu is that the it happens about the most mudane things. I mean really ordinary things which makes it even more freaky because it becomes harder to explain away.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

Through dreams, only. Sometimes I pray to God that I can talk to my folks in a dream. When my dad first passed away, I had a lot of vivid dreams with him, where I knew he was gone. Out of losing my Mom and brother, it was my dad's death that really shook me. I guess because it came out of nowhere (well, so did my brother's, but still, I guess I wasn't as close with him, sadly enough). I am not sure how I feel about rituals where communication is attempted. I might not be against them, but when it comes to my family, I don't want to bother them. I'd rather they attempt communication with me instead.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

I know I have experienced deja vu before, but not recently. And, it is freaky. So, what does that mean? Do we dream it before we live it? Could that be an explanation?

12. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 19, 2011

I think they call those things a premonition. Has it happened to her before or since then? She may have a little ESP stuff going on.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

But where do the premonitions come from?
    Yes, she later had a dream that I was involved in a car accident. She didn't tell me about it until I called her to tell her we crashed with a motorcyclists. This happened a few months ago.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 19, 2011

[​IMG]

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

Oh, and yes she has had it happen before then. She dreamed about an uncle who died (who we have no connection with and hardly know) and when she asked our gramps about him, he told her that that uncle has some rare disease that is eating his organs and the doctors don't know what it is, and it looks like he doesn't have much time to live. There is no reason my sis would have dreamed of him. We have nothing to do with him (not intentionally, just the way it is).

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 19, 2011

I don't know :confused: Many of my experinces with deja vu include people I don't even know, places I have never been before and often I am not even involved in the "scene", more like a bystander that knows what will be happening.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 19, 2011

Has anyone heard of Ed and Lorraine Warren I met them at a seminar they hosted at my college. They are very famous in the field of the paranormal and were very convicing of the fact that ghosts and other entities do exist. They had "evidence" which of course could be fabricated but it seemed very real and many people hold them in high regard for the work they've done.

18. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Feb 19, 2011

My sister has communicated with our grandfather numerous times.

Grampie passed away just a few months before my sister's high school graduation. We were really close with him and she was quite upset that he wouldn't be there to see her get her diploma. A few weeks after graduation, she had a dream that she was walking through the halls of our high school. She turned a corner and sitting in front of her locker was our grandfather. She sat down next to him and he told her that he had been there to see her at graduation and again at prom. He told her how beautiful she looked and that he was so proud of her. Then she woke up.

A few years later, my grandmother had met a nice man and was getting married again. My sister had another dream. In this dream, we were at my grandmother's apartment with all of our family and Nana's fiance. Suddenly, she noticed Grampie sitting in a chair in the corner. He didn't look pleased. He was known for being a bit jealous where my grandmother was concerned (not controlling or abusive or anything...he just got jealous easily). Lisa says that she couldn't understand why no one else saw him. She called to him and he didn't answer, so she got up to get closer. As she approached him, she reached out to touch him and he disappeared.

I myself have had one dream. It was like I was in clouds and he was standing beside me. In front of us was a large gilded mirror. As I turned to look in it, my reflection changed and suddenly I could see both of us - he in a suit and me in my wedding dress. I take it to mean that he was there when I got married.

Could it be that our minds were trying to console us? Maybe. But, I like to think it was him.

Either way, this is the quote I like to live by when thinking about things that are maybe hard to explain. It's from Men in Black:

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

Since I was a teen, I've had dreams that would come true/happen later on. The first time it happened: we were moving about 4 hours north to our new hometown. My dad found the house we were going to rent, without any of us seeing it in person. A few nights before leaving, I had a dream about the house. In my dream I saw the kitchen, the dining room, and the living room. I saw a beautiful chandelier in the dining room and a bar in the kitchen. It had tall ceilings. Well, low and behold, the house we moved into looked exactly alike as the one I had dreamed. And, there were a few funny things about that house too. It's happened many times since then, but not lately.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2011

I have a lot of stories that make me believe in the exsistance of ghosts, spirits, whatever you like to call them.

~When I was in HS, I had a dream. When I woke up, I saw my great-grandmother whom I had never met, my 2 great-uncles, and my grandfather whom I had never met at the foot of my bed. They just smiled at me and I felt a peace that I hadn't felt in a long time which allowed me to sleep more peacefully. The funny thing is....only my great-uncles and grandfather knew each other. My great-grandmother was on my mother's side of the family.

~On the day of my mother's viewing, at a time when I was really grieving, I heard her tell me that everything was ok, she was in heaven and she had both her boobs (she had died of breast cancer and had a masectomy). The next day at her funeral when we were on our way back from the graveside service, there was a break in the clouds and I caught a glimpse of her and a peace fell over me.

~Since her death (6 years in July), I have heard her speak to me a couple of times...normally when I am really down.

So, yes, I believe in ghosts.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2011

INteacher~I have had a few instances of deja-vu.

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I do believe that our loved ones watch over us ad maybe even visit us periodically.

23. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Feb 19, 2011

I have mixed feelings about "ghosts." I think that everyone has energy and a soul. After we die our soul goes to Heaven...or God forbid...Hell. However, if we have a strong attachment to a place or person our energy can stay behind and cause "weird stuff" to happen. So I guess I don't believe in "ghosts" just energy.

For instance, you can't see static electricity but that is a form of energy and it can shock the mess out of you sometimes. So why can't there be energy left behind that clings to things that are important to us after we pass away?

Also, I definitely believe in angels and demons and I really think that demons appear to us in "ghost like" forms to try and deter people's faith.

I dunno...just thoughts that I have when thinking about ghosts. :rolleyes:

Oh and thanks for re-starting this thread! Its neat. :haha:

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

All very interesting posts! :)

I experience deja vu on a somewhat regular basis. I spoke to someone about it but I'm afraid the explanation is too far out to even share! :whistle:

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2011

I believe in ghosts, though, I'm not really sure how it all works. For example is it kind of like in Ghost Whisperer where most spirits cross over right away and some are here until they take care of "unfinished business" or is it just that spirits immediately go where they're supposed to but some choose to come back from time to time to watch over people. I believe more in the first explanation, which can help to explain spirits who seem not be at ease, but I also very much like the idea of loved ones coming back to watch over and help guide. At my grandmother's funeral just as us grandchildren were told to put our hands on her casket there was a very loud boom of thunder that rung through the church which spooked just about everyone there. I think that that was her way of saying good-bye and crossing over to the other side.

When I was about 18 or so I had a something that happened to me that I think could have been a little but of ESP coming through. My parents were at a funeral about a hour or two away from our house. It was snowing out so I went out shovel (when is it not snowing in Upstate NY!). All of a sudden when I was shoveling I started becoming hysterical thinking my parents were in a car crash so I was praying to God for my parents to be okay, while of course crying and shoveling. I kept this up for a little while until a sense of calm came over me. Once my parents came home I found out that while coming home the cruise control on their car stuck and that they spun around in the road and ended up in the shoulder. They didn't end up hitting anything, but the times of when this happened to them and when I got the idea in my head that something was going to happen to them seemed to line up, even though I had no reason to believe that anything was wrong (they weren't late yet and the amount of snow wasn't very much for this area).

26. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Feb 19, 2011

This summer I went on a three day retreat to a holistic center to clear my mind; I had just graduated college and my dad passed away a few months earlier. I decided to sign up for an energy healing workshop (to be honest I have no idea what I was doing there -- I in no way pretend to be an energy healer!). Anyway, the second day there this woman was "practicing" on me and you are supposed to "check in soul to soul" before working on someone. After she was done practicing on me she said when she asked my spirit for permission instead of me saying okay it was an old italian grandma looking person named nanny and she said that she was around me a lot. This woman knows NOTHING about me -- but I do have an italian great grandmother named nanny who died about 10 years ago. It was insane.

Later that night I was trying to fall asleep in my room and I saw this white orb flash across my room twice, then this continuous knocking on the side of my wall. I was SO terrified that I slept with the light on all night! I was convinced I was visited by a spirit. That morning I went to the third and final day of the workshop and told the workshop leader about the orb in my room. She said, "StudentTeach, you do realize today is father's day, right?" I don't know if that experience was what she/I thought it was, but I can't help think that something else is out there.

27. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2011

A demon would appear in a ghost-like form to convince people there's no afterlife?

Someone (I think JustMe) mentioned that she was interested in atheist's opinions -- that atheists could believe in an afterlife without believing in a deity. She is, of course, absolutely correct. In fact some forms of Buddhism do believe in an afterlife without a deity. Further, ghosts (especially the "residual energy" ideas) do have some qualities that make them a bit more believable than deities. Ghosts, for example, are generally not viewed as omnipresent, omniscient, or omnipotent.

And then, as many have pointed out, there are things science hasn't discovered.

When science discovers new things, it's typically to explain repeatable, observable phenomena that do exist. When the germ theory of disease was discovered, it was because a doctor noticed that washing hands before and after surgery reduced disease transmission. "Microbes" were invented (i.e., predicted to exist) to explain an observable phenomenon. Black holes were predicted similarly.

Static electricity is also quite reliable and there's a very strong theoretical framework around it. Ghost energy would require an entirely different theory of energy (which would include the energy adhering to objects based on the intent of the person that contained the energy while they were alive).

Can I say definitely that ghosts do not exist? Of course not. But I can say I see no reason to put any more credence in them than in spirits of rocks or rivers, or deities such as Thor or Odin, or bigfoot or alien abductions (both of which are more believable, actually). I don't think any of you are necessarily foolish for thinking they exist, though I don't think you're weighing it entirely rationally either.

More later, possibly.

28. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Feb 19, 2011

The thought about demons appearing in ghost like form, sons, is from personal experience. I know someone who I thought had a strong religious foundation and when all of the paranormal stuff started getting really big his foundation was shaken. He started questioning some things, and there is nothing wrong with that! I was just speaking of someone I knew that made me think of ghosts in a different way. I'm not saying that its even possible but it was just a thought.

Also, I was comparing static electricity to ghost energy just as an example, you can't see ghosts, you can't see static electricity. Thats all. I know nothing of theoretical energy...not a big science person, just trying to find an example to help people understand sort of my thought process.

Lastly, someone mentioned we couldn't see germs until someone invented a microscope and one day we may have something similar to view ghosts through. Well if that is ever invented I don't want to look through it! That would be really freaky! :lol:

29. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Feb 20, 2011

Tragically, my nephew committed suicide when he was 17. The evening of his memorial service, my brother told us that he had had a dream about his son the night before. My nephew was a really good soccer player, and often would take a tough tumble, and my brother would walk out to him as he lay there to make sure he was okay. In this dream, his son had taken a fall and was lying on the thick, green grass of the soccer field. When my brother got up to where he lay with his eyes closed, his son said to him, "Dad, I'm okay." My brother found such comfort in that dream, in the midst of a parent's worst nightmare....that of losing a child.

30. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Feb 20, 2011

Wow Love to Teach. That's weird and amazing.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 20, 2011

Well, I believe I have seen a ghost. Yes, it is freaky! Of course there's a possibility that it wasn't a ghost (I do admit there that it might not have been but I would appreciate people not telling me it definitely wasn't...unless you were in that hotel room with me that night).

32. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Feb 20, 2011

I would have been out of there in 2 seconds!!!:eek: I have no idea if ghosts are real or not but I would not stick around if I thought I saw one! Were you by yourself?

33. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Feb 20, 2011

When my Aunt died of cancer last year I was in shock. After I got off the phone with my mom, I gave my daughter a bath. In the middle of her bath I broke down and cried. I felt a presence near me. It felt like someone was giving me a hug. It lasted for quite a long time. I continued to feel the presence for the rest of the night. I am a firm believer that it was my Aunt. I had not seen her in YEARS and I felt so guilty that she never got to meet my daughter = (

34. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 20, 2011

No, I was with my husband on our honeymoon. I was pretty spooked.

35. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2011

I had a follow-up question -- it's not related to whether or not ghosts exist.

For those who are scared of ghosts, why are you scared?

36. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Mar 1, 2011

That's a really good question! Maybe because its not familiar...so sort of a "fight or flight" type thing. Perhaps the way they are portrayed in movies...hauntings, possesions, ghost stories, etc. I'm not really sure. I'll have to really think about that.