Getting Your Room Ready - Sequence?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by time out, Aug 2, 2012.

1. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

Personally, I like to arrange my furniture first. Then I tackle the walls and organize cabinets. Typically, though, I only get halfway through organizing before shoving/hiding the rest away!

Do you have a specific sequence for preparing your room?

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 2, 2012

I paper bulletin boards first because I HATE doing it so it gets out of the way, and it gives me time to process what else I want to do organizing/decorating wise while getting the menial task out of the way. When I was in my classroom earlier this week I papered the bulletin boards and at least got out all of the furniture and semi-arranged it (it was all stacked up in the corner). Next I'm planning to go through all of my books and organize the book corner...I'm still waiting on two bookshelves. I thought for sure I'd have to buy my own (apparently the ones in there belonged to the previous teacher, leaving me with one super tiny one), but my P is getting her husband's company to donate a bunch of them which is a big relief! I put things on the bulletin boards and do walls last. I'm not very artsy so it takes me a couple of days of being in the room to "visualize" what I want as far as walls go.

4. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I pretty much do the same. I stand there for a while and visualize, then I arrange the furniture, put up bulletin boards, then I tackle other things.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

The custodians place all my furniture for me...then I uncover all the BBs and bookcases that I had covered with paper...then I put out all the book baskets that I stored in closets (not all fit in bookcases), organize my desk, unpack supply order, put it away...do name tags, plan and create materials for first BBs...

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2012

I am starting from scratch this year because they moved me to a new room. My plan is to start with the furniture and desk arrangement, then bulletin board (at least borders and backgrounds), then start unpacking boxes. I predict that the whole process is going to take me a very long time.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

This is the first year I was able to leave my BBs up, Woo HOO! So I will start with furniture and then getting all the supplies out of cupboards and start setting up 1 area of the room at a time.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

I'm all over the place. I have several things going at once. I ALWAYS try to rearrange my desks, but with 26 desks it just can't happen. So, once I get over that, I piddle around until it all comes together.

This year I felt like I had some extra time so I emptied out all of my desk drawers and redid them, too.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 2, 2012

I always start with my furniture. Once I get all of that arranged, I start with everything else. Generally that means I'll drag everything out of my closet, which is where I store everything in the summer. After that's all out, I put things away. I put up posters and boards next, and then I print labels and label everything.

It usually takes me a couple of days to get my room ready. I've been in the same room since 1998, so I know where everything works best. I don't make many changes from year to year. I moved my desk for the first time ever, so people are already taking bets on how long I'll be able to handle it being there.

10. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

That's usually my routine too and I also end up stuffing and hiding bc I'm so over it. So this year I changed it up bc the deep cleaning amd dusting seriously needed to be done. I began with arranging furniture, then I dusted (every little nook and cranny) then I got out the Lysol wipes and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. Then I setup my desk and reorganized the cabinet (which was a large task and seriously needed to be done) and shelves. Then I will go back and do the walls and bulliten boards. Something different I did this year is I'm breaking it up. The furniture arrangement was on one day then cleaning and reorganizing on two more days and then I wilL go back and do the walls and stuff soon (maybe tomorrow). Every day I've been it's only been for a couple of hours. I feel like it is working out this way bc I'm not spending too much time. If I do a lot in one day I'll get sick of it and not do it fully. My only worry is after we get going good will I "be over it" sooner than normal since I've been going to school so early and not fully using my summer to stay away. Hopefully I won't feel that way but I will say as of now I'm feeling more productive than ever.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2012

I always find the best thing to do is take pictures and then go home and look at them. It's so easy to want to jump right in and start moving things, but if you are home and can't get distracted you'll come up with an arrangement that you can just go in and place.

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 2, 2012

Okay, this sounds more like me. I flit around accomplishing the silliest things like organizing my sticker drawer, meanwhile there is nothing on the walls! There are always piles everywhere that get moved from spot to spot without ever finding a home.

13. time out

time out Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

Oh, the dreaded piles!

As I near the end of the whole decorating process, I make a rule to clean one surface at a time and not to put anything back on those surfaces.

14. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 2, 2012

I started with a clean slate....nothing on the walls or boards and the furniture was all in odd spots.....so I had a lot of work to do because it just didn't look right with how the furniture was placed.

First, I looked around for like an hour, deciding how I could get this room so it was organized and functional for student use. I also felt pretty overwhelmed for that hour.

Then I unpacked the boxes I brought, but I still didn't know where I should put stuff since the furniture and shelves weren't were I wanted them yet. So I made a huge mess.

Then, I did the three small bulletin boards with paper and border since I knew what I wanted for that.

Then I went home.

The next day, I tried unpacking more boxes I brought, but decided I had to move my furniture. So I did, and it's so much nicer! I have a reading corner, computer area, writing reference area, and a conference table. All my stuff is where I want it.

My next step when I'm there is to "beautify" the place. I need to put the info. on the boards, add a couple more on the walls, and then I can work on curriculum. I also need to find some low cost baskets for my reading corner books.

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

I unpack any boxes that I got in from orders placed at the end of the year. I rearrange the desks and get my area set up. That's pretty much it. My school doesn't require us to take down our room completely. All of my posters, calendar, and bulletin boards are all ready from last year.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

Well last year was my first year. But move furniture back where it belongs is definitely the first thing. After that bulletin boards- which takes FOREVER. I have two huge ones in the front of the room, then I cover the blackboard which is the size as two huge ones. Then I have 6 small ones. Then I get down to the little stuff, labeling their closet hooks, labeling their chairs (I put the name plates on chairs instead of on the tables) taking out all the notebook and books bins, door directions. Last thing last year was the library, which was a mess. This year I did a TON of work on it at the end of the year so it should be pretty easy this year. My biggest project should I have time to undertake it LOL will be the math center. Everything else was cleaned and organized at the end of last year and thinking about that now makes me soooo happy! l