Getting Your Classroom Finished

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by smb1357, Jun 22, 2009.

1. smb1357

smb1357 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

I am still in the process of finding a teaching job. I have heard from several people that I probably won't get a job until a few days before school starts. How am I supposed to get my classroom finished and ready for the students arrive on the first day of school? Any strategies/ideas of getting everything done and ready to go in time if this does happen? :eek:

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 22, 2009

You Can Do It!

Although it is definitely a possibility that you won't get a job until a few days before school starts, you CAN have your classroom looking presentable on the first day of school!

First off, enlist the help of your family and friends. Even if you are only able to round up two other adults, you can get the classroom decorated and set-up in one day! Trust me, I've seen it done!

Next, speak with your grade-level colleagues. They can help to ensure that you have all necessary materials (textbooks, pencil boxes, notebooks, name tags, etc.) before the first day of school. Your grade level teammates will be able to give you a list of essentials that you'll need!

Last (but not least), don't expect that the classroom will look picture-perfect on the first day of school. You may not have all bulletin boards up and you may not have all the necessary textbooks. However, keep in mind that it'll all get done!

Keep us posted on the job hunt! :thumb:

4. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

Best advice- be proactive!
    I sought out my principal to get the keys to my room two weeks before school started. To my dismay, there was an empty room with a pile of books in the corner because they had just recarpeted!
    I made friends with the head custodian and asked hey where's my furniture. It seemed to help a little. One week before school started, all my furniture came in and I started to get more supplies from other teachers that had left.
    Then, long hours for a week.
    I am quite a perfectionist and it was a work in progress. I think I had a room to be proud of by the first day of school.

5. Kris8806

Kris8806 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

You can totally get it done.

For my last job I was hired on a Friday. The following Monday was already the week that teachers were to report back so I had exactly one week from when I was hired till school started. Much of the week was taken up by meeting and workshops but I was still able to get everything ready. I had various people stay late to help me set up. Everything was not perfect - I worked on the room even after school started but it looked great and no one knew that I was short on time.

Good luck with the job hunt!

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

We have had teachers get hired the day before school starts. Other teachers were great and helped set up the rooms. If that happened to you-you wouldn't be alone in your room. Don't be afraid to ask for help. You might not have everything finished, but it doesn't have to be perfect the first day.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

It took me many years to understand that my room did not have to be 100% 'done' on the first day. As long as it looks good and the basics are done, it will all get done. Stay late, come in early, pack your lunch and take things home (name tags, charts). Nobody knows what you didn't do-only you, and if you add one chore each day, it will get done quickly. Good luck-you will be fine.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

Alot of times, schools will open during the weekend before school starts to help out. Also, having nearly bare walls is a good thing.

When I first started teaching, I thought everything had to be up and perfect. Now, I have little decorations (mostly bulletin board with pretty trim). I want nearly everything on my walls to be student created or charts and things we make - this helps kids be able to use the materials on the walls and helps them "own" the room.

DO not spend a ton of money at teacher stores on posters and other things like that. I don't know how much I spent on that stuff, but I can tell you I don't still use anything I purchased. It's a waste of money.

and bulletin board sets: make your own. Not only is it cheaper, it's more creative. I hate canned bb sets. But my first year I bought a ton.

9. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

SMB where in Indiana are looking? Just curious I'm in Northern Indiana...though it's not hopeless like some areas around the nation it's not great either!

10. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

Make sure you have a bunch of pencils sharpened for the first day and a working sharpener for throughout the day/week. Don't worry about decor, you can have the room looking pretty bare and explain that the class will help you decorate it together - gives them ownership. A nice art project on the first day (something simple, like draw a self portrait or do an about me collage using magazine clippings) can be a great way to add color to an empty room.

What I did, and it worked wonderfuly, was plan my first week thoroughly... THEN made sure I had all the supplies necessary to get through that first week. By doing that, I used my week's plan as my "get the room ready" checklist.

Students do not expect a fully decorated room on the first day.