Getting used to new hair cut!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by stampin'teacher, Aug 1, 2012.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2012

Ah! I knew I wanted a change. I wanted bangs (which I've never had before) and I wanted to cut my hair shorter-from bottom of shoulder blades to resting on my shoulders.

Well, it's a cute haircut, but I feel like it looks awful on me! She cut it shorter than I wanted, and I don't even know if I can put it up in a ponytail!

I know it's hair, and I know it'll grow back, but I couldn't help but tear up when I got home! DH says he likes it and I'm just freaked out cuz its so different, which may very well be true...but I'm feeling pretty crummy right now....even crummier cuz i know it's really a dumb reason.

Anyone else felt like this?

3. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

Just remember, it will grow back! Give it a week to get yourself used to it and you will feel better :)

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

:hugs: Yup. Had a horrible haircut last August - my back-to-school haircut. It was a trim that went very, very wrong.

I think it's totally fine to sulk and be upset today. Tomorrow, go out and get some cute barrettes or clips to help you hold the hair out of your face. It will grow back, and someday you will be able to laugh about it.

5. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

If you think they cut it wrong go back to the salon & have a manager fix it. Twice in my life I have had a stylist cut my hair based on a picture & I wondered what picture she was looking at. :eek: Both times I had them get a manager and try & fix the error the best they could. (Both times were with short hair.) Good luck! :D

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

About a month ago, I had a hair stylist go nuts cutting my bangs... they looked like they were about 1 1/2 inches long! It was awful, but now that it has grown out a bit, it looks quite nice. Needless to say, I won't be visiting that hair stylist again...our definition of "trim up the bangs" were vastly different.

7. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2012

It's not that she cut it poorly, although it IS about three inches shorter than I asked for...but those inches make such a difference! It looks more like a bob than shoulder length hair...

I know I need to get used to it, and the length isn't quite something they can fix. Oye! Why does hair mean so much??

8. melnm

melnm Companion

Aug 1, 2012

I have no idea but I can certainly empathize! I agree with another poster about finding some cute clips, headbands, etc. Make the most of it til it grows back some and you have a little time to get used to it. :)

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I can relate - I just got my new glasses and I hate how they look. Unfortunately, they won't change!

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2012

About 15 years ago I started telling my stylist to do what he wanted with my hair. I wasn't always happy when I left the salon, but within a couple of days I liked the cuts. Even when I wasn't thrilled by it, I'd get lots of compliments on it. I supposed he knew what he was doing. Now I just wish that I had hair to worry about. :rolleyes:

Maybe it will grow on you after a few days.

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

I feel like that almost every time I get a major haircut! It always ends up shorter than usual (no matter who cuts my hair-it has happened tons of times). I really need a haircut, and I'm putting it off!

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

It always takes a few days for a hair cut to *ahem* grow on you.

I've always kept my hair long, then one day decided to get a pixie cut. For the first week I wore lots of make up and big earrings so people would know I was a girl. Then I started loving it. Looking back now, I think it's the best hair cut I've ever had!:)

My point is, give it some time.:)

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I need a trim, but people always cut my hair too short, so I've been putting it off. I know the frustration. I've had some pretty awful haircuts in my day, for sure.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

I once got a haircut right before my sister's wedding...Awful! It was way to short. I have found a great hairdresser and she knows that I'm trying to get my hair to grow out a bit so she trims just what she has to.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

Sometimes a haircut looks much better when you get t o style it yourself. If you still hate it, check out some of the hairstyles on pinterest, twisting your bangs can look super cute while they grow out.

16. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 1, 2012

I've since flattened it out a bit and it looks better. Still scary, but better.

What's weird is when I was in high school, I cut off 20 inches and it was practically a pixie cut-that didn't give me nearly as much anxiety!!! Man....I used to be such a risk taker! Thankfully my hairdresser gave me pointers on "training" my bangs. *deep breaths*

17. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

Your DH is probably right! I hate every haircut I get for the first few days too. I'm sure it looks great though, and if it's too short it'll grow in no time. :)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 2, 2012

As you & others know, it will grow, so in the meantime, try to enjoy it! I'm sure it isn't as bad as you think. My hair length is normally at my tailbone, but I've had it cut quite drastically a couple of times in my life (at shoulders), which I loved it & it will grow as long as it always was. The other day, I had the stylist cut it about 4 inches. One of these days, I'm going to give my stylist he freedom to do whatever she wants...as long as it's not too, drastic. After all, I still have to go to work, unless I give her the freedom next summer.