Getting to Know You Activities

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by katrinkit, Jul 24, 2006.

1. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

I'm sure this has been thought of, but we should have a place to post all of those getting-to-know you actvities for the first weeks of school...if there is already one, please let the new teachers know how to find it! (I tried to search for it, no luck for me.)

Getting to Know Teacher
    1. I'm sorry to everyone, but I am taking the quiz...write a short quiz about yourself for the students to answer and then grade it! It's fun to see what they think of you from just looking at you. My favorite question on mine is

I have never been
    a. skydiving
    b. snowboarding
    c. to Mexico
    d. to Norman, OK

The answer they choose is always skydiving, but it is actually c. You should see their eyes when they find out what I have done. I get a miniscule amount of respect...

Getting to Know Student
    Give students a card as they come into the room - the cards will represent where they sit in class, as well as provide for the game...
    if they have a...they will share
    heart...something they love to do
    spade...something they dig
    a club...an organization or club they would like to join or they already belong to (in or out of school)
    a diamond...something they treasure

(the spade and heart are kind of the same, but I don't feel it matters as long as people are sharing)

Happy Hunting!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

I love that card idea! I always do the teacher quiz. It is fun to tease them about their grades counting.

Yes, there are quite a few threads on this topic, but they aren't very easy to find with the search feature.

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 24, 2006

I love the idea of the teacher quiz. What other types of questions do you ask?

5. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 24, 2006

I like this idea....do you have any other questions you could share? It sounds fun.

6. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

I ask things like

Where was a I born?
    What kinds of grades did I get in ___ grade?
    What was my favorite class in high school?
    If I didn't become a teacher, I wanted to be ...
    In high school, I was a...
    I have (siblings)
    My parents are divorced (T/F)

All of the questions are either T/F or multiple choice. I try to hit something everyone can relate to, so I also add music, television show, and other random things.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

This was an interesting idea from one of my college professors, but probably would be good for secondary use... she asked us on the first day "What do you need to know about me so you'll believe the things I tell you?"

8. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

I asked a similiar question of my students for their first journal - What do teachers need to know about you, but few do? Why?

Now that I look at it, not really similiar, but I guess I'll share it anyway...

9. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I'm a first year teacher, so of course I have never done this activity, but I though it sounded cool.

You need two different colors of plain paper. You give half the class one color, and half the class the other color. On the paper they are to write three things about them that they think most people don't know about them. They are NOT to write their names on the paper. Then the "colors" stand on opposite sides of the rooms and they have a 2 minute "snowball fight." Basically, they throw the paper at each other for 2 minutes. Then once the timer goes off, they pick a piece of paper that is opposite from the color they started with. Then, they have to go around the room and find that person by asking questions (e.g. Are you afraid of heights?) Then, once everyone has found their match, they introduce the person to the class.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2006

We did an interesting activity at the course I am attending this week. We were given a form to fill out with the "standard" Get to Know You questions...name, favourite food, favourite summer activity, last book read, last movie seen, etc. We then all took our forms, made a big circle, crumpled up the paper and had a "snowball fight". After about 1 minute, we all picked up a piece of paper. The instructor went first: he read the name of the person whose paper he had and then shared one thing about them (we chose current teaching assignment for our purposes). That person then introduced another member by reading their name and the same piece of information. We discussed that this could be used several times in the first week by sharing one piece of information each day---quick and easy!

11. teacher247

teacher247 Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

Rcayia,

I too am a first year teacher. I would be extremely careful having a snowball fight on the first day/week of school. This is because throwing paper is inappropriate and is a behavior that you may not want in your classroom. Having a snowball fight might encourage this behavior. Just be sure you clearly lay out the ground rules.
    I wish you much success next year.

12. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

Jul 27, 2006

I probably won't end up using the snowball activity because I am a floater this year, which means I won't have my own classroom. I don't want to worry about doing such an activity in a classroom that is not my own. I just read the idea somewhere, and thought it sounded interesting.

13. SimplySue

SimplySue Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

I think the snowball idea is great. It lets the students know that you can learn in different ways and encourages the idea that learning is fun. Make sure that you establish the rules and let them know that this is one way of sharing. You could also do it in a different location like a courtyard, gym, or outside. That way it is an activity outside of your classroom and not subject to the same rules. This is on my list of "cool" activities to begin this year with. Thanks for a great idea.:D

Sue

14. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 27, 2006

This will be my second year teaching (I know, I'm a pro now, right? ;))I did the toilet paper activity where you let each student take how ever many pieces they would like from a roll of toilet paper. Inevitably there are those students who take half the roll because they think they are funny. The twist is they have to tell you one thing about themselves for each piece of toilet paper. It's a great way to find out things about each student.
    I also make the in-class bulletin board a giant puzzle (can't remember where I found this idea). Each student got a piece of the puzzle to decorate with their name and things they like. Then we put the puzzle together under the heading "We Fit Together."

15. CA5teach

CA5teach Rookie

Jul 27, 2006

On the first day of school I write a letter to my students telling them about me. I put it on the overhead and read it to them. I also make sure to ask questions in the letter (like a pen pal letter). Then they write a letter back to me telling me about themselves. I give them fun writing paper (with a border to color in) and they usually seem to enjoy writing me a letter (I often get questions back). I keep the letters and have a writing sample from the first day (or two) of school. At the end of the year I show it to them next to an end of the year writing activity that they did - they enjoy rereading what they wrote at the beginning of the year and seeing how their writing has changed. I have also done the teacher quiz that others mentioned and put the answers in my letter.

16. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

I love this idea! I know plenty of students who would take a ton, and then be shocked to learn they had to speak because of it! Thanks for the idea!

17. bookteacher

bookteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I also love this idea! I'm a first-year 7th grade English teacher this fall and I've been looking for a creative bulletin board display. My only question is this: I have five different classes I'll be teaching throughout the day. Would you recommend doing one large puzzle, combining all of the classes into one board, or doing five separate ones? The latter seems like the best option, but would also take up a lot of space. :thanks:

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

I love the puzzle idea and have used it in the past. At my current school, however, we have so many new students arriving throughout the year (last year I had 9 new students before the end of the year!) and I haven't figured out how to incorporate them into the puzzle. Any suggestions?

19. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Each student got a piece of the puzzle to decorate with their name and things they like. Then we put the puzzle together under the heading "We Fit Together."

I do this every year and make it a heart. The kids share their pieces, then cooperatively put it together. When it's finished, I put it out in the hall with, "The Heart of __th grade!"
    I always make one or two extra in case kiddos show up on the first day, if not, then I decorate one, too.

20. jnation

jnation Companion

Jul 31, 2006

Book Teacher
    I really don't know which would be best. Part of me thinks one very large one would look very neat, and if they were all seventh graders would fit together very niceley...hmmmm

Mrs. C
    Maybe you could try putting in a few blank pieces of the puzzle in random spots so that if someone did come late, he or she could fill out one then?

6thgradeteacher
    I also make one for myself if possible. I think it's just another way to convey a cohesive classroom.

21. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

Instead of making a puzzle with edges, could you make it so it doesn't end (no definite boundary)? That way you could continue adding on throughout the year!

22. bookteacher

bookteacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

great idea! :D

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

That's a good idea...thanks. It will work better for me than just incorporating a few blanks. We are in a rapidly growing subdivision and have no idea of how many students will move in during the year. I had 9 new students added throughout the year last year; the grade 6 teacher had 12 new!

24. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 1, 2006

I like the introducing yourself with an adjective memory game (gregarious Gretchen)

and the true/false sit down/stand up game

If you had a summer job- stand up!

and the interesting facts student scavenger hunt- but that has to be set up on the first day and completed the second..

I like the puzzle thing too and it doesn't have to be up ALL year long.. so who cares if you get a new student over the holidays? I am on to new bulletin boards by then and can incorporate them there if I want.

25. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2006

I am taking Teacher Effectiveness Training. Today we did an ice breaker activity using colored popsicle sticks. One person was the sender of the message and the other was the receiver. Their is a dividing line and the sender describes a design that he or she created with the sticks to the receiver. The object is to be an active listener and see if you can replicate the same design. It seems easy, but is actually a challenge if you are not used to listening.

26. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2006

Before the end of September (we start after Labour Day) last year I had lost 3 of my original students, had a transfer from another class and received 3 students new to the school.)

27. blt

blt Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

First year teacher here..I love both these ideas...Will these activities work with 8th grade as well? If so, how much time do you allow for both. Thanks.
    Bryan

28. katrinkit

katrinkit Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

I am not the one who posted the thread, but I did teach 8th grade last year - I can tell you that both ideas (the puzzle and the toilet paper) would be great with 8th grade. They still love to be creative, and you will inevitably get the joker who will take way more toilet paper than anyone else! :D

29. hhennigan

hhennigan Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I do two truths and a lie game (7th Grade). I tell them this is the only time I will allow them to lie (and they giggle). The trick is to trick the class with little known truths and an easy believable lie. If they trick 2 classmates they get a piece of candy but if a classmate guesses their lie they get the candy. It is an easy first day homework assignment.

30. FISHUNTER1

FISHUNTER1 New Member

Aug 9, 2006

Instead of snowballs , perhaps put the completed cards in a hat shake them up, people pick one and follow the rest of the game.