Getting them to work quietly !

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by love2teach, Sep 13, 2007.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

How do I do it?! This group is great on the rug and when I am talking. Send them to desks to work on something and they allllll start chatting! They are doing thier work, but it is way to loud:eek:!

Does anyone have a little trick up thier sleeves to combat this one? :help:

3. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Maybe some type of signal (bell or buzzer?) to tell them when they're too loud. I read on one post about someone who had one of those singing stuffed animals they pressed when the kids got too loud. They had the length of the song to get quiet before the teacher started moving pins (or whatever the discipline method is.)
    Another tip I read was to tell the kids you are going to choose a Secret Student each day. If that student behaves the whole day the class gets a point toward a goal, and that student is announced to the class. If the secret student causes the class to not get their daily point their identity is only revealed to them when you explain what they did that day to lose the point.
    Of course I'm not teaching yet, so it's only what I've read, not particularly seen in action!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2007

Those are some great ideas jacksprat. I really like the signing animal one.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 13, 2007

Hey at least they are quiet when you are talking :)

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

This is true! I like the secret student idea...I have done something like that in the past for walking in the hallway. I wonder if they can make it all day with one student? Maybe I can break it up into different periods or sections.

7. MR.P.

MR.P. New Member

Sep 13, 2007

Is the noise constructive and related to the work, or is it totally irrelevant to the assignment?
    Over the year, I have established several routines and procedures to make sure that students are working quietly.
    During independent reading and writing workshop, I usually play classical music. Students know that it is okay to talk to a partner, but their voices should not go above the music. This is usually successful and the students really row to enjoy the music. They now ask for the music during independent reading and writing.
    During math and science my students are so excited that they tend to get loud. I usually ding a belly and remind them to bring their voices down. This is done every other minute in the beginning of the school year, but it gets better as they learn the routine.
    I also use a lot of positive reinforcements with my students. I table pints to groups/ tables of students that work the best.

8. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

Going from more upper grades into first grade has been a learning experience for me in this way. I was not used to, and had to keep reminding myself of the fact that young children often read to themselves outloud as well as work while thinking outloud. Like Mr. P said, I would take the chance to really listen to what they are talking about before you stop the talking all together.
    I would make sure I have a signal like someone else mentioned in order to gain their attention right away when you need it though. I use a lovely sounding chime that we have been practicing with since day 1.
    The other option would be to spread them out more while they are supposed to be working independently. Give some of them clipboards and spread them out a bit. Put a few on the floor and leave 2 at each table or cluster. I bought some lap desks for this very purpose and they LOVE them just as much as I have loved them. :)

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

p.s. I agree with Mr. P that classical or calming music changes the whole learning environment for the better.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2007

I do play music, I love having it on!! One of my little guys asked when I was going to turn it off!! :)
    For the most part, yes, they are talking about the work, but they are just too loud!

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 13, 2007

I could have written this same post. Oh dear, they are so chatty! I try positive reinforcements like crazy - tickets for positive behaviors, praising specific behaviors and students... and ding a bell when the children are getting too noisy. My kids have been in class together for the past three years... I think that's a huge part of it!

I might have to try the clipboard/lap desk thing... What a great idea!

12. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 13, 2007

Well, I moved my students' desks around the room- about half are facing "out" and the rest are offset. I told the students that they needed practice working by themselves quietly. When they show me that they are able to do that, I will move them next to a classmate, but in rows. If they are able to handle that, we will go back to groups.

My chattiest students are in places where they have to turn ALL THE WAY around to talk to someone else.

13. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Sep 13, 2007

I have 2 sets of slippers under my desk (Piglet and blue hairy monster feet). If I'm happy with how the kids are acting I put on Piglet. If I'm upset with their behavior I put on the monster feet. I don't make a big production of it, but they know what they mean when they see them on my feet. Works wonderfully! The kids will say, "SHhhhhhh....she has on the monster feet....we're in trouble!"

14. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 13, 2007

I love it! I'm getting monster feet this weekend! :woot:

15. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 13, 2007

Mine are chattin like magpies too. The disheartening thing is to walk past the next two doorways and it's as quiet as a tomb in there. How in the heck do they do that? I wish I could be a fly on the wall! :whistle:

16. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

I love the slippers. Too funny

17. MsX

MsX Companion

Sep 14, 2007

I just tried something this week that totally worked. I told the class I was choosing a secret worker. If the secret worker was quiet during the activity, the whole class would get a sticker on our class incentive chart. If they werent quiet, I wouldn't say anything and we would not get a sticker. They LOVED it and it worked. If voices started to get loud, i'd simply say, "Oh i hope my secret worker isn't talking. That would be a shame!" :)

Also, I've also done things like tell the class the quietest worker will get a sticker. That works too.

I feel like both methods are total bribery, but hey, they work and it gets my students used to the noise level i expect while working.

18. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 14, 2007

We made a deal. I told them that sometimes we HAD to have quiet work time and others it would be ok to talk quietly. I told them that I would let them know which time it was. Worked great today.

I've noticed that my kids are quiet in the morning, but after lunch is a different story.