Getting them organized!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Starista, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

Hello!

I am coming from second grade and have a few questions about how to organize my students!

Their supply list has several two pocket folders and they will have their school agenda to write nightly assignments. Ideally I would want a 1 inch binder to place both inside, but I am unsure if the folders will have holes etc.

My idea is that the children will take home one folder daily with homework inside one pocket and notes from the school/classwork (ungraded) on the other side. OR two folders: One that's a home-school connection with the ungraded classwork and one that is for homework and/or any incomplete classwork and possibly a reading log. Is this too much? Please let me know your thoughts!

New to Fourth and so excited!!!!!

3. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Aug 11, 2014

Welcome to 4th! It's a great grade!

I do one classwork folder that they keep at school, one take home/homework folder, and one test folder that gets sent home once a week for tests to be signed. They also have an 8-pocket portfolio for subject work that they need to keep. They were able to handle it so I think if you want to go with the two folders they should be fine.

4. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Aug 21, 2014

I get my students to use a binder that has a set of tabbed dividers in it. The first section is for the agenda; then a tests section for returned tests; a projects area for big assignments; a homework section for take-home; and an overflow section where materials we no longer need can go and be emptied at home.

It has worked well with my grade fives for the last several years (as long as your expectations are clear). Returning to 4th this year after a seven year hiatus but I intend to use the same binder with these ones.

5. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Mar 20, 2015

My students each have a binder that they are to bring everyday to school. They are to keep homework and all of their Cornell Notes in each tabbed section. We are an AVID school. I check all of their calendars which are also in the binders.