Getting their attention

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MandySue530, Aug 22, 2007.

1. MandySue530

MandySue530 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

How do you get thier attention when they are talking or working? I'm in a second/third grade combo and its my first year as a "head teacher" and I'm freaking out!

3. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I have a timer that I ring...an apple-shaped dial timer. If you turn it to a # of minutes, and then turn it back to zero, it goes off, and they all look up.

4. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I use a timer sometimes. I might announce that they have a certain number of minutes and that the timer has been set. When it starts beeping, their job is to stop, look & listen or stop & organize depending on which direction I've given. If I asked they meet me at the floor spot or line up, they try to 'beat the beeping' which last 30 or so seconds.

I also turn off the light or send a student to turn off the light...they stop, look, and listen,

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 22, 2007

Some others that you can use:

Ring a bell, some chimes, a rainstick, etc.
    Raise your hand and say "Give me Five" (Eyes looking, ears listening, mouths quiet, feet still, hands free)
    You say "1,2,3 Eyes on Me" they say "1, 2, Eyes on You."
    Count down from 5-1, expecting listening when you get to 1.
    Say "hands in the air, finger on your nose, etc." to get them to stop.
    Say "3, 2, 1 Freeze!" and they stop frozen in place.

When I am trying to get them to sit or clean up, I count down from a number, say 10 or 30, depending on the clean up needed or what they are doing. This gives them time to get done. If everyone is done on time, we say "ZERO" as a class. If not, I go into negative numbers. My rule is if you aren't done by the time I get into the negatives, you miss that many minutes of recess (-2, two minutes.) I allow lots of time (I usually start at 30) and I only established the rule because I had two boys who would intentionally wait until the last moment, in order to keep us waiting and go into the negatives.

There are many other chants people use. There are a lot of good ones in other posts on this board.

6. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I use a clap that they repeat. You can choose any rhythm, but this is the one I used and the kids like:

clapclap, clapclapclap

I like clapping because you can always hear it above any other noise (some bells aren't loud enough.) Also, when they don't quiet down enough or only some of the kids clap the rhythm back to me, I'll clap again, changing the rhythm. You can keep doing this until you have them all. Since they have to clap back to you, they'll already have their pencils/glue/whatever put down, too!

7. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

I use various methods. I guess it depends on my mood. Sometimes I will use the timer. Other times, I will use a boom chicka boom chant that they chant back to me. Other times, we will do a clapping and stomping sequence.

Also, I like to play classical music in my classroom. When students get to loud while they are working, I simply go over to the radio and turn the volume up high. It gets them every time :p

8. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

I think it is a good idea to vary the methods. I find that students start to tune you out if you do the same thing everytime. Kind of like my husband when I am talking and he is watching tv!!!

9. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 22, 2007

A student teacher gave me this idea. i have a music box. When you open the lid, it begins to play. Everyone is to stop what theya re doing, get quiet, and look at me. When they are quiet, I close the lid and the music stops. It works well.

10. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

Lots of ways to get attention. I like to say AAANNNDDD Freeze!
    The long "and" gives them a heads up and the "freeze" lets them know to stop moving and talking. They also like to freeze because they have to actually act frozen until I give the next direction.

11. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 22, 2007

That's a great idea as are all of these ideas. Where do you get a music box at this time of year?

12. AllyR

AllyR Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

Getting attention.

I say " Hand up, finger on pause!" and they actually do that...press pause so I can give them other info. Works well.

13. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Aug 23, 2007

One of the music boxes i have is a small girl's jewelry box. The other one is one my daughter bought me--Mary Engelbret. Gift stores and card stores often have them. The first one that I had, which I loved, got lost switching classrooms. It was a small metal box. When you took off the lid, it played a song. It came in a stationery set.

14. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

I use the Responsive Classroom approach and they recommend that you have one audible signal (bell, chime, etc.) and one silent signal - for me that is simply putting my hand up - I expect all the kids to stop, look at me, and put there hands up too. You have to explain, model and practice this a LOT the first few weeks of school, but they get it rather quickly.

15. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Aug 23, 2007

A first grade teacher in my school sings "Stop, look, and listen" and the kids answer back "Okay" I dont know the name of the tune but it is really common and it is "da da da da da...da da"...not the best solution since I cant tell you the tune, but it is cute and works well with her kids.

16. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Aug 23, 2007

I do something similar to Halpey. Of course I've only been doing it for 4 days now, but it seems to work pretty well. Its "give me 5" which mean (1) eyes on me (2) mouth closed (3) ears listening (4) hands empty and something else I can't remember. I put my hand up and when a student seems it they do those 5 things and put there hand up as well.

The past four days we've been practicing it and I've been timing them to see how fast they can do it. THe first time we did it, it took about 40 seconds. But we've gotten it down to about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how busy they are.

On the second day of school, I had them talk to each other or walk around and make a lot of noise and see how quickly they could quiet down. They loved it and so far it seems to be working out pretty well.

17. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

Tune is "shave and a haircut", "2 cents".

18. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 23, 2007

I've used counting down from 5, flickering lights, and clapping patterns with K-3. I also add snapping (b/c it is quieter) for the 2nd or 3rd pattern. This year I'm using the "Give me 5". There has been a lot on this forum about it so I thought I'd try it. I've been doing it for 2 days and it is working GREAT!! I know they have posters but I wrote the 5 words above my incentive chart in my class (eyes, ears, mouth, hands, feet). I tell them when I say "Give me 5" (at normal voice with my "jazz" hand in the air) they are to...
    Give me their eyes
    Open their ears to hear the next direction
    Zip their lips/ stop talking
    And make hands and feet still.
    I explained by showing them and then letting them practice. I have an incentive tied into it also. :)

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2007

You can also quietly say, "I notice that Maria is sitting quietly and ready to hear instructions.... now I see Thomas sitting quietly and ready to hear instructions...." This seems to work very well and also gives you the opportunity to communicate the desired behavior many times over.

20. islandteach

islandteach New Member

Aug 24, 2007

Great ideas! I like the "Stop, Look and Listen" and "Okay" method. I have 30 fourth graders and half of them are my cousins so I have a hard time getting their attention

21. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

I do all of these, along with another one that the kids seem to like. I say "clap once if you hear me" (in a non-loud voice), "then I continue with "clap twice if you hear me" and so on and so on. i tell them that they should never have to go beyond 3 claps before they all hear me.

22. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 24, 2007

We mostly use "Give me ten!" Which means ten fingers up in the air and eyes on the teacher.