Getting the worst assignments!

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by teresaglass, Aug 14, 2013.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 14, 2013

At my para job, I am getting burned out and want to transfer. I usually have gotten the assignments that none of the other assistants want. I was placed in a terrible math class last year because one assistant hated the class so they dumped it on me. Most of the other assistants joke about how I am the one who always gets the worst assignments. I probably get them because I am not part of the clique of paras and teachers in the special education department. I am also left out of many functions that are put on by the special education department. I would like to fix this , but what is the problem? I tried being friendly and eating lunch with everyone, but I was ignored or asked to leave the cafeteria. Now, I am mostly ignored or criticized so I stay alone. At my school, the paras that are treated well belong to the clique. Any para outside of the clique is ignored or demeaned. I would like to transfer somewhere else, but I wonder if I would run into the same problem.

3. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 22, 2013

Wow that's so sad..thank God I have never experienced that..i would transfer if I were you..good luck.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 22, 2013

When you say "worst assignments", what do you mean exactly? The most work? Teacher hardest to work with? Specific kids?

Do you get these assignments because they are the "worst" or the most difficult? And you manage them well?

5. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 31, 2013

I sometimes get teachers that are the hardest to work with and sometimes I get the most difficult students or I get pulled for coverage or 1 to 1 assignments. I have managed all of these well except for one. The 1 to 1 student I had went to meet with my boss because she wanted another assistant assigned to her and my boss did not grant her request. Sometimes I get assignments that other assistants have refused.

6. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Oct 5, 2013

LOL, welcome to my world. I work with middle school EBD students and am constantly told by other paras how they could never do my job. I couldn't give my job away in a million years. Oh well, it definitely provides job security!

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 5, 2013

I worked with some middle school EBD boys. I really liked that assignment.