Getting the job questions...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tiki7719, Apr 7, 2008.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 7, 2008

I will be receiving my BA in about 2 years. I like to plan ahead as two years goes by fast and a lot can change.

I live in Ohio (Cleveland area) and I more than likely will NOT be able to find a job up here (teacher demand is really high in the Cleveland area). I am looking to teach central Ohioish (Columbus vicinity). My question is that how close to graduating should I start sending my resume? Further, I tried googling the topic about the "outlook of educator jobs in Ohio" and all I could find is a 40-some page PDF file from the State of Ohio Department of Education. Perhaps there isn't anything on that topic, but, if anybody knows anything about it or another way to search/find the materials, it is greatly appreciated.

Secondly, do all the school districts post the open positions on their school websites?

Also, is it a good idea to substitute in different districts to get your 'foot in the door'?

Lastly, how long did it take you to get a job in your field?

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any responses!

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

I'm not in Ohio, but I'll try to answer anyway :)

My major was Biology...and I wanted to work for the FBI or CDC. Well...didn't work out that way, and while waiting to hear back from the above groups I needed income. I started subbing in a local county...and loved it! A local charter school opened, and amazingly with just that experience I was hired. I will always be grateful for that opportunity.

I have found out that counties around me post positions year round if they are open...and most job fairs are in late-winter, early-spring. Private schools have their own website collaboration here, and I can search for jobs (one I currently landed) there too.

I'd say start networking...sub some...send your resume out Fall semester (the year your graduate) so you can be prepared for the next year.

Just my advice...lol. Good luck :)

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 7, 2008

Thanks! Any advice is helpful. I'm just nervous that I won't be able to find a job :/

Did you take any teacher prep courses in college?

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 7, 2008

I didn't. I was walking in the classroom from 'the outside.'
    During the school year I took classes online that helped with such things like classroom management, and teaching diversified learners.
    You'll get one...might take a little longer than you like...but just have faith :)

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 7, 2008

I am currently finishing my student teaching and I will be graduating next month (yay!). I am on the hunt now for a teaching position and it is tough! My advice is to network like crazy...volunteer in local schools, volunteer to help out professors in your field, start subbing, consider gaining extra certification in other areas that will help you out such as ESL (I don't know what the need for ESL is in Ohio...probably not as high as it is in Tex), obtain professional development that will not only help you when teaching, but will look great on an application, and again, network!

I just landed a interview and even though I am a great candidate (I know, sounds arrogant, but I have confidence and faith that I am one!), I only got the interview because my university supervisor is a former principal of the district, is highly regarded in the district, and just so happens to be on the hiring committee this year.

Experience and ability are so important, but so is who you know!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2008

This isn't arrogant at all! You want to let them see that you are confident! Good luck!

8. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 8, 2008

Thanks for all the responses!

Thats some great advice emmakate and good luck on the job interview!

scienceteach, its great that you found your calling :)

it's kind of amazing how some science teachers become teachers. In high school, my chem teacher had a choice between med school and teaching. She chose teaching and boy was she good at it :)

9. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

I'm in Ohio, west of Cleveland.

Teacher supply is high here. I'm special ed and I've been told it's easier to get a job. I'll let you know. :)

I've been watching online postings since January and they are just coming out NOW. I've got my application in to many districts.

Not all districts are online but most are. Some have their own applications online, others use the Ohio Dept of Educ. I've found that postings are on both ODE and the district sites.

As for subbing, it is a good way to network. It's a lot about WHO you know in this area. So get your name and face known (for good reasons).

Hope that helps some..........