Getting the interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lindydish, Apr 27, 2009.

1. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

So... I've revised my resume countless times, written (and rewritten) cover letters personalized for each district, subbed in multiple districts, dropped in on principals (only one was ever there, out of 10) and emailed HR/Principals. I feel like I'm doing everything I can but still...

No Interview.

It's so frustrating. I'm in the interview questions thread, I've printed out all the questions from last year's interview questions thread, I'm networking at schools I sub at which has resulted in 5 new references (all in my first year of subbing) and I'm scouring job posting sites/district web sites for information. I've put together a portfolio of my teaching experience...I'm just drained and school is still going for another 6 weeks.

I think I would be more encouraged if I had one interview...then I would feel as if I'm making gains toward my ultimate goal of my own classroom. Not getting one in the midst of my second year looking for a job sucks. My friends and family are supportive, but I get the feeling that they don't understand or don't think I'm doing enough. There are times when I don't feel like I'm doing enough, but I don't know what else to do.

This is really a vent, but your thoughts are appreciated.

3. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

I'm in the same boat. I look at my sent messages in my e mail and it is all different school districts. I feel like I do so much, yet nothing has come yet.

You just have to hold it out. It is still early, but I know it is hard.

4. kilikena0310

kilikena0310 Companion

Apr 27, 2009

It really is still very early. It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job of networking and getting yourself out there. I know it is so frustrating, and I wish I had more constructive advice to offer you. The best thing I can say is to keep at it.

5. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Apr 27, 2009

I'm in the say boat too. I go to schools, give them my resume, introduce myself, smile, give a handshake, etc. and try to present myself to them.

All I'm hearing at the moment is that a lot of schools don't know what kind of openings are going to be for next. That and people probably won't start hiring until May if not later during the summer, which is bad for me because I want to know that I have a job for the fall so I don't have to worry.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

I'll join in this boat. I just received an email saying that after careful consideration of my qualifications, I have not been selected for consideration of employment. Excuse me, but WTH?!? I've subbed in the district, I'm currently working as a tutor in the district, I have 2 years experience. What more do they want?

7. NYYJMM

NYYJMM Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

How do you guys network because everytime I sub, all the teachers have this we are better than subs and we do not talk to you.

8. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 27, 2009

Oh i am so sorry stg! That stinks :(

I am in the boat as well.. I just keep telling myself ..its still really early ..be patient ( Thats my mantra) :)

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

dee-I'm trying to be patient, and I know that it is still early. I have been trying to get into this school for 3 years because it is where my daughter will go to school, and its close to the house, but the principal has never even given me the time of day and I don't know what I've done to deserve that from him.

I'm thinking of asking the principal of where I'm tutoring (in the same district) to look over my resume and cover letter to see where I can improve.

10. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

I know it's early, I just needed to vent a little pent up frustration. Plus sub calls are beginning to get more rare around these parts, so I'm home with too much time to think. It's hard to be patient when so many things hang in the balance. Walking the line of being a "squeaky wheel" to being a outrageous pest is darn tough. I actually heard from one principal that since they were expecting over 100 applications they were going to wait to look at everything until the posting date expired. I understand this mode of thinking, but I think special treatment should go to those who applied right away. :)

NYJJM- I network by saying hi and smiling to every adult I encounter in the school. I don't care what their position is, they have a job in a place where I want to work so I'll make sure they have a good impression of me. I eat in the teacher's lounge and participate in the fluff conversations. If I'm working in a school where I've covered for other teachers I go and introduce myself and ask if everything was all right when they returned. If I have a half-day I go in at least 30 min. early to get the feel of the room, make sure I have copies/plans and butter up the teacher I'm covering. (That alone has gotten me 3 new references.)

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 27, 2009

You can always retake the Teacher Insight test if you're bored. :rolleyes:

12. palla

palla Companion

Apr 27, 2009

That stinks, STG. I am really sorry!

13. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

How do you re-take it? Every time I update that application it just says that the test is completed.

What's your secret? :)

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2009

Broaden your search by 15 minutes. Take a look at a map, and go one or 2 towns/districts further in each direction.

Then hit google. Google:
    "Private schools near ___"
    "Religoius schools near ___"
    "Charter schools near ____"
    "Catholic diocese of ____""
    "Episcopal diocese of ____"
    "yeshivas near ____"

15. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

I appreciate your help Alice. I did the google search for schools near ____. However, my limit for a commute is 45 min. I had an hour commute during student teaching and it was awful. Not something that I can do long-term and be happy.

I'm keeping my fingers, toes and anything else crossed that something will happen before the end of May.