Getting that itch....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OhioTeacher216, Jul 4, 2020.

1. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 4, 2020

To go back to school! I have my MA in Curric. and Instruction, K-12 SpEd., K-12 V.I. I want to do less classroom and more intinerant/small group work. While looking for another job, I came across a school in my larger metropolitan area that caters to refugees and students who have very limited English skills. I am very intrigued by the set-up of the school. I am looking into getting my TESOL license and possibly reaching out to the school admin. for more information about the school, etc. I figured making a connection somewhere won't hurt. Anyone on here have their TESOL license or can provide insight/guidance on obtaining it? There are absolutely no guarantees anywhere that I would even get hired or employed at the school, but it has piqued my curiosity of the wide range of students to teach.

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 4, 2020

Do you have three masters degrees currently?

4. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 4, 2020

No. Just one in C&I, I should have clarified. My main license is sped and I have an endorsement in VI as well as reading.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 5, 2020

What is VI?

6. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 5, 2020

Visually Impaired

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2020

What does your state require for ESL? Some just have a test, others require 15 or more credits of grad school. My son and I actually acquired our MEd. in TESOL, and he loves it - teaches in VA. I use my certification some, because some SPED often times has an ESL component at the HS level, but I'm in NJ.

8. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 5, 2020

My state (Ohio) does have the 15 credit option and then you sit for the educator assessment to obtain the certification. This is the option I am looking into as it can be done in a year. Was it a difficult program to complete? Any tips or advice for when I do decide to apply?
    Thank you in advance! I greatly appreciate it.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2020

All of the courses were 3 hours, we were lucky to find a university that did the grouping in cohorts that met in a variety of schools after hours once a week. My son and I finished at the University to earn our MEd. I found it all very interesting, informative if you already teach, as you get some real Ah-Ha moments about things you have seen. We were also able to find a school that was on a mission to train more ESL teachers, and each course, up through the first 21 hours, was only $400, so $2800, most of which, for me, was covered by tuition reimbursement. I think that the last three courses cost $2000 each, and once again, mine were covered by tuition reimbursement. I paid for my son's courses, so cheapest master's in history for him, but a gift he has used to better his life. No loans to repay. We had to pass WIDA exam, take a final from the university TESOL department, somewhere there was a language exam that demonstrated clear, understandable English, and my son student taught - he didn't have a standard certificate in the state yet. It was money well spent. Cost me less than earning my TOSD for SPED.

10. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 6, 2020

I appreciate your reply! The university I am applying to has online classes-- one to be completed every semester through next summer, plus a practicum. I find this pace to be manageable. I live near a metropolitan area with a high influx of refugees so I would ideally like to work in a school providing these services. Also, when researching the universities in Ohio who offers the endorsement, many are offering 30-50% off tuition for this endorsement.

I do have a question about the classes-- did you find the coursework to be overly rigorous and difficult to learn? Or, did you think it was manageable while working full-time?

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2020

I worked full time, had 3 preps, taught 4 84 minute classes while taking these classes. I found it quite doable and not overly stressful. Remember, you are teaching English, which you know, and really only understanding the mechanics and stages to guide someone without any English, including the learning mechanisms and some background in the linguistic side of all of this. I found it interesting, and also found that there are really good books that are helpful. During the summer, our college had 3 days of presentations in a series on ESL. I still go to them, because they interest me and are fairly inexpensive. Win, win.

12. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 7, 2020

Thank you for the feedback! The reassurance that it isn't overly stressful and is doable while working f/t makes it more appealing. I plan on applying to the program soon! Any other insight/tips are appreciative :)

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 8, 2020

I would research this school very carefully. A former co-worker worked at that kind of school and it was not easy. She often had new students at any given time without notice, it was difficult to interact with them since it was apparent that they did NOT want to be there, there was no discipline guidance so she was on her own and because of this not much learning got done, there was no set curriculum and almost no teacher planning time so it was pretty much a "keep them busy" sort of situation. Maybe by now (after I heard about it 5 years ago) there is more structure to this type of program. Just do your research.

14. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 8, 2020

TeacherNY- very good point. I know the program requires 40 or so field hours, and I would reach out to this school to see if that is something they can help me with. I figured that would be a good way to hopefully get some first hand account of how the school is set-up.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 8, 2020

Good luck!
    Also, ask about the pay. If the school's funding is dependent on grants the pay might be pretty low AND it may not be a long term position. If the grants run out the teachers are let go at any time. Ask about a contract.

16. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Jul 8, 2020

Oh definitely! The school is part of a large metropolitan district in Ohio with a very strong union. I know at times positions through public schools are grant funded and that would be one consideration I would definitely keep a watchful eye on.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 8, 2020

Great. It sounds more structured than the one I heard about. Hopefully the pay is worth it.