Getting Teaching Off Your Mind

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachercat, Oct 27, 2007.

1. teachercat

teachercat Rookie

Oct 27, 2007

Do you ever have trouble getting teaching off your mind?

Sometimes I'm ok, but other times I can't stop thinking about it. For example, this week I only have a little bit of grading to do, which I plan to finish during a two hour car ride to the lake.

I'm sitting at a coffee shop trying to read and pray, but my mind keeps going back to my classroom. I keep remember something funny that my students did or something terrible that they did. I keep thinking about how I could teach a certain concept better or how am I going to deal with things next week.

Do you ever have this problem? What do you do to put teaching away?

3. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Oct 27, 2007

I think about it a lot too(the good parts and the not-so-good).

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2007

Oh, yes. During my first few years I was consumed (both my time and my thoughts). It has gotten better, but I still think about it a lot, especially when stress is involved (such as a new/difficult student).

If the fact that I have a lot to do is making me think about it a lot, I make a huge list of what I have to do. Sometimes making the list helps because sometimes I am just thinking constantly and worried that I'll forget something.

Honestly, staying busy in my life really does help. Having children made a world of difference in how much time I thought about school. But when you are touching so many lives, it is hard to just turn it on and turn it off.

There are days I wish I had the regular 8-5 office job again and could leave work at work. Teaching just isn't that way.

5. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Oct 27, 2007

I spend a lot of time outside of work thinking about teaching. I think about problem students and what can be done with them, I think of things that I need to be sure and remember to do, I get ideas for better ways to teach things, I think about conflicts with parents or other staff members, it's always in the back of my mind. Then again, I'm single, with no kids, so when I"m not at work, I'm pretty much by myself most of the time.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 27, 2007

My 1st year of teaching is behind me, but the type of class I taught didn't really involve homework & grading. It was a litte different. I was usually out the door at 3:00 in which I cleared my mind of work & focused on other things.

My first year wasn't that stressful fortunately. It's important to have a healthy balance between work, home, school, etc.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 27, 2007

I don't have too much work outside of the classroom in terms of checking papers and things (my TA and I do it during school/prep times) but I am still constantly thinking about and working on my classroom.

I get ideas in the middle of the night, or when driving from one place to another.

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Oct 27, 2007

I think it is impossible not to think about it,since it occupies so much of our time. I try hard to be sure I spend as much time as possible with my friends and family in activities I enjoy that is not related to school. I set aside certain time when I am involved in planning, grading and my other school-related duties.

9. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Oct 27, 2007

I agree with what everyone has said.

In order to be happy with your career, you have to be happy with your home life too.

The teacher in the classroom next to mine is usually very full of life. Lately, she has not been and even the kids notice the moods. She is going threw a divorce with her husband. I feel for her as we all know how harsh that can be.