Getting students to remember vocabulary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Jan 1, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Jan 1, 2014

Hello to all,

My question is this: what do you recommend for getting students to learn their vocabulary? I teach it to them with a power point and do activities with the words throughout the unit (listening, spelling exercises, worksheets, and conversation). However, there is a TON of vocabulary words that they need to know; I don't have the time to talk about each and every one. Also, students have told me that they don't bother to learn the vocabulary words or do any kind of studying outside of class. This causes problems because we need to do activities that require their knowledge of the words. What can I do to encourage more students to study the words?

I think they will enjoy Spanish class a little more if they bothered to learn the words!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 1, 2014

I would create homework packets for them that would include mostly the vocabulary words (and grammar as well)
    These would include using the words:
    in context: - translate from Spanish to English
    in context: - in a few days translate from English to Spanish using learned grammar (or new) It can be 1 sentence for each word.
    - matching synonyms, antonyms
    - creating words maps
    - finding all the word forms (either on their own or match)

I would have warm ups with vocabulary:
    - it can be some of the above, or also matching words with definition

Frequent quizzes to make sure they stay on top of it. I would handle the pronunciation in class.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2014

They need to see and use the words in context in order for the words to stick. Regular, frequent vocab quizzes are also helpful, but not as helpful as actual, practical usage.

5. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Jan 1, 2014

Great recommendations. Thank you, folks. Some of these (warm up questions and practical usage) I already do, and they do help a lot. Thanks very much!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 1, 2014

When I took German, we had to write dialogues or little vignettes. The German prof was also my linguistics prof, and I have fond memories of writing a dialogue for her in which Dieter explains to Anna why he has a roll of Toilettenpapier (toilet paper) on his dorm-room desk: he has a bad cold, and he's borrowed the TP from the Badezimmer (bathroom: at that point, I didn't know that it should have been a klosette) because TP is the student's Kleenex. Because she was also my ling prof and my good friend, I made a point in Hans's lines of substituting oral stops for nasals, as one does when one's head is stuffed up - so
    Ich bin krank, Anna. Ich habe mich erkältet 'I am sick. I have caught (myself) a cold'
    came out
    Ich bid kragk, Adda. Ich habe bich erkältet.
    She thought it was hilarious (of course, linguists do run to fairly strange senses of humor). I find that I still remember a lot of that dialogue, so clearly something worked.