Getting Students to Listen to Directions

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsX, Jul 29, 2007.

1. MsX

MsX Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I'd like to hear others ideas for getting students attention to listen to directions. I have several methods that I use to get the students quiet, but many of my students from last year would get quiet but continue doing whatever they were doing. For example, if I would clap a pattern and have the class clap back, but some kids (usually the same ones) would pick their pencils back up and continue working! This happened despite continued reminders and practicing as a class.
    Does anyone have a good technique that both gets students quiet AND requires them stop what they're doing to listen?

3. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Have you used Give me 5? I have a poster up that says:

Give me 5 (And a picture of a hand--I traced my own)
    5. Eyes on the speaker
    4. Mouth quiet
    3. Sitting still
    2. Hands free
    1. Listening

The way I use it is when I want their attention, I say "Give me 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. This reminds them to do each thing on the poster. Of course you have to model like crazy and make sure that they know that they do all of these things the entire time you are talking, but it can work!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2007

I struggled with this during my student teaching (1st grade as well). My mentor teacher told me to wait them out. So, at times, I'd stand there waiting for what seemed to be forever, but they all eventually gave me their attention. The time it took got to be less and less until it was almost instant. I would tell them that if we didn't finish this, they would have to do it during recess, specials, free time, etc... So, if they wanted to waste time, they'd do their work during a "fun" time!

5. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 29, 2007

I like this method a lot! I'm considering using this for my 4th grade class. Do you think it will be just as effective with an older group of kids?:confused:

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2007

Megaphone, taser, and a whip!! :lol:
    Kidding!!!

7. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Miss Bradley- I previously taught 5th and it worked for them!

8. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 29, 2007

Great thanks MissaG :)

9. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jul 29, 2007

I used that with 3rd and 4th graders...I just said..."Ladies and gentlemen if I can redirect your attention back to me in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" with my fingers counting down...so far it has worked.

10. pokybloom

pokybloom Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

I have a friend who teaches second grade and he purchased a little xylophone and each note (or tune) is a different direction (ie, changing centers, stopping working, lining up) He said it was like magic, and a lifesaver. I know it sounds pavlovian, but I am trying to think of something similar to use with my fifth graders because my voice is not very loud.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 30, 2007

I do a countdown 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 as well as Give me Five. Works for me. If someone is not doing any of the 5 things, I simply remind them... "I need your eyes on me." or whatever. I say this to the whole class, or "Thank you for having your eyes on the speaker."

At the beginning of the year, if they are NOT stopping, we wait, practice, talk about it, etc. I keep up with the practices until they have it.

12. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 30, 2007

I used the give me 5 as well with my Kindergartners and they did well with it. I had a fellow teacher use a rain stick to quiet her class and it worked for her. No matter what you use you have to be consistent and practice, practice, practice at the beginning of the year to make it routine.