Getting students quiet in the hallway

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by newkteacher, Sep 9, 2006.

1. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

I am a new teacher and am having a problem getting students to walk quietly in the hallway. I modeled the behavior in the classroom and had the students practice countless times. I have one particular student who runs out of line and sometimes into the classroom of her old pre-k teacher. Much of my energy is spent on making sure she is in line. I try to watch each student equally but this one student behaves the worst. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks

3. lololsu

lololsu Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

At my school the children have to line up within the classroom with "Ducktails and Bubbles" before we can even enter the hallway.
    Ducktails are hands behind our backs and bubbles are mouths closed with cheeks blown up like a bubble. This works because they can't talk with bubbles in their mouths and they can't push and shove with their hands behind their backs. Hope this helps

4. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

I was going to say the same thing about the hands behind the back and the bubbles. You will also want to give praise, works wonder at this age ("Thank you Ashley for having a nice bubble!") With the student who is constantly getting out of line, she would be walking with me, holding my hand until she "gets it"! One of our classroom rules is no talking in the hall, so if its a ongoing problem they would pull a ticket for talking.

5. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 9, 2006

Sometimes I tell the children to pretend they are mice, and their is a sleeping cat in the hallway, so they have to be quiet as can be so we don't wake it. It's kind of silly, but the kids LOVE it and it works wonders. They often ask if they can be mice in the hallway. I try not to use it too much however, because then it won't be fun anymore...

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2006

Gasp!! I LOVE that idea!! Right now I just have my kids put their hands behind their back, but calling it ducktails and having them make bubble mouths is such a great idea! I love it!

7. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 10, 2006

8. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 10, 2006

I do bubbles too and it really really works, except there is always one who "pops" his/her bubble!

I like the ducktail idea too!

9. kinderkara

kinderkara Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

Secret Spies with Marshmallow feet!!!

I am student teaching in a kindergarten class now and when we are getting ready to walk into the hallway, I say, "OK, remember our job is to be secret spies! (Be really sneeky quiet) and pretend that we have marshmallows on our feet, so we can't hear them!"

10. Gail J-kndg

Gail J-kndg Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I stress the importance of the line leaders job. I let the line leader know how extremely important it is because everyone will be following them. I also give the last person the very important job of thumbs up person. I look back so often and that person gives me a thumbs up if the line looks ok and a thumbs down if we have to stop the line and regroup. I also give a thumbs up to the entire line as often as I can as long as things are going well.

11. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I love the "ducktails and Bubbles" idea! I'll try that- but it will have to be modified on rainy days as we walk across the parking lot to the lunchroom with umbrellas (and no one knows how to put them up or down!) Anyone else have a suggestion for dealing with kids and their umbrellas while in line? I mainly focus on "put the point-side" down(otherwse it's a weapon)...and don't walk too close to the person in front(eye safety)...and keep moving the line through the door before attempting to put the umbrella down(traffic jam out in the rain)...etc. It becomes a bit overwhelming. (and most of them have a lunch box in their other hand....)

12. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

We do "Peace & Quiet" down the hall. The kids hold up the peace sign with one hand and put their hand/finger over their mouth with their other hand. That way the hands are occupied and it's really obvious to me who's talking/turned around, etc. It works well.

13. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Sep 10, 2006

I do "hips and lips" They have to put one hand on their hip to remember to keep their hands to themselves and one finger on their lips to remind them to be quiet. THis keeps both hands busy. It has worked remarkably well!

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2006

We put on marshmallow shoes and take our voices out......holding them in our hands or putting them into our pockets. I tell them to fold their hands if they feel they may be tempted to touch their friends. Works like a charm! :)

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2006

Before we leave the classroom I have them put their marshmallows in their mouth.

16. smile

smile Companion

Sep 11, 2006

Wow! These are cute! I have my students walk with their hands behind them. I tell the students we have to go outside quietly. We do not want to distract the upper grades "big kids" because they are concentrating on their work. so we tip-toe without making a peep!

17. newkteacher

newkteacher Rookie

Sep 11, 2006

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will try the ducktails and bubbles with them.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2006

I tried the ducktails and bubbles thing today. The ducktail went fine and they looked so cute with bubble cheeks. I taught them this right before we went to lunch. We were in line waiting to get in and my kids still had bubbles in their mouth. All of a sudden, one of my kids said, she tried to pop my bubble!! I had to crack up, so did the other teachers!

19. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 17, 2006

I have preschoolers and they are a dream to walk in the hallway. The first time we walked through the halls together we talked in the classroom about making a line and staying quiet so the "big kids" could listen to their teachers and learn. We basically go "on a mission" to stay silent every time we leave the classroom. I also have them walk in one long line instead of two lines like the upper grades in my school usually do because we walk right against the wall. Whenever someone starts to step out of line I pat my hand on the wall and make eye contact with them and they run right back over. I also make it a point to not speak myself in the halls, I only whisper when I have to speak to one of them or my TA. They LOVE that I'm being quiet too and I think it encourages them to stay quiet. Hall walking has become a lot of fun for these kids, they even try to walk so that their shoes don't make any noise! I have actually had students wave me over in the hallway just to tell me that my heels are clicking on the floors!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 17, 2006

Our class is never a model lineup group, but occasionally I tell them they have to stay in the same tile row I'm in. They have to concentrate on what tile row the person in front of them were in. I mostly stay within one row, but to keep them interested, I will move 2 rows to the left, etc.

21. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

Walking in a certain tile "from the wall" helps the artwork from other classes stay nice. It also helps the line stay in order:)

22. Sadie217

Sadie217 Rookie

Sep 17, 2006

You are lucky that you have only one...I have like 10 out of 23 that are CRAZY in the hall. I have one that will go to the water fountain no matter what. I have a rule that when the students go to the water fountain they should only count to "1 2 3 that's enough for me" and one student just walks out of my room when ever he wants and doesn' even ask....It is so had for me to manage my classroom. I feel like they run all over me instead of me being the one in control. I actually have 5 year olds telling me "no" amd crumbling up thier work in front of my face. Every week I feel like I loose them more and more......I would love advice!!!

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 17, 2006

Some others would disagree but we have reward money (they purchase cheap trinkets at the "store" weekly) that we give out for positive behavior. Kids see other kids earning it and shape up becuase they are hoping you will give them theirs. There are other less materialistic positive reward systems. Do some research. Also watch your transition times. Sit down and write the problems you are commonly encountering and see if you can identify why then come up with strategies from there. It's not easy. I know our class certainly isn't perfect in classroom management.

24. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 18, 2006

We have a "compliment chain" that whenever our class receives a compliment in the hallway I add a link to it, and when it gets a certain length the class gets a special treat (free time, etc.) Each time we also do something different in the hallway, I tell them we are quiet mice trying to sneak by a cat, or today we "slithered like snails" we have also been deer, and have waddled like quiet ducks before.

25. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Sep 19, 2006

When I taught public school, I had a small basket by the door with the names of the children on slips of paper. I would draw one out before heading out, and would watch that person as we walked down the hall. The trick?! I never tell who it is. If that person behaved how I expected, I would tell the class who it was, and we'd get a point when we got back to class (I used points in my classroom for good behavior, one minute of free-time for each point on the board by the end of the week--usually about 10). If my secret person was acting out, I would just simply say, "My person didn't make it today" and end the discussion like that. I never told who the person was if they misbehaved. The kids loved it, and I very seldom had a problem with bad behavior in the halls. Very simple, but it worked for me!

26. lindalou

lindalou Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

I love the secret person idea! When we leave the room we recite the following poem and it seems to get them in the mood for good line behavior:

Hands are hanging by my side
    I'm standing straight and tall
    Eyes are looking straight ahead
    I'm ready for the hall.

Then I open the door and we're good to go!

PS The ONE child who always acts out (and there is always at least one!) walks with me...

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 19, 2006

ad65shorty-I LOVE THAT IDEA!!

28. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 19, 2006

I tried the "Peace and Quiet" today with my 4 year olds in the hall. It really worked!

29. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 19, 2006

I love the secret person and the poem! I'm trying them tomorrow. My kids love ducktails and bubbles, the other teachers do too, they look so cute!

30. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

Lol, I just realized that I try all of these things with my class! My poem is a little different:

My hands are folded by my side
    I'm standing straight and tall
    My lips are sealed up very tight
    I'm ready for the hall!

And we say bubbles and ductails.

I also have a marble jar. When the kids have a good hallway visit they get a new marble. If they have a 'bad' one, a marble gets taken out. If the jar gets filled they get a surprise (extra recess, new center, book, etc.)

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 19, 2006

Our class had such a fantastic line today (I didn't have to correct or complain about ANYTHING) all day. Yesterday felt like a full moon on the whole day, so I guess they were ready for a change too. :) I was so proud that I beamed then I gave them 2 reward dollars for accomplishing something great ALL day instead of just once. (They still got a little gipped because I normally give one per time if I'm in a mood to hand out dollars). They felt special becuase they had never earned a steep reward and I was gushing big time. Then later I stepped into the hall and saw the principal and told her about it so then she stopped into the classroom and gushed too! They were smiling so hard their eyes sparkled. My chest got big for sure. LOL. SO funny how a simple thing can make our hearts swell with pride.

32. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 20, 2006

I tried "peace and quiet" at circle time today when they were loud. It worked then too!:D

33. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 20, 2006

My kids do pretty well walking quietly, however, sometimes after recess I have difficulty getting them to line up quickly. It's gotten better since the first day, but I'm still having trouble. Any ideas?

34. cocacola

cocacola Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

I have used the "hips and lips" and marshmellows and both work well. I also count to three and say "zip, hug". They have to "zip their lips" and then give themselves a hug, which has their mouths quiet and their hands to themselves. As for recess, it has worked very well for me this year to have a cow bell. It rings quite loudly when I am ready to go in, and I don't have to keep yelling for them to line up. If they choose to not line up or come very slowly, they can lose some recess time the next time we come out. A bell or whistle tends to get them moving for me :)