Getting Students' Attention

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teach2Inspire, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

What are some other ways to get students attention besides using Give Me Five? If you have tried a couple which one works the best? I not sure if I will have 5th again next year or 4th, and won't know until I go back to school at the end of August. :) :thanks:

3. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I use a music baox to get attention. When they hear the music, they are to stop, look at me, and listen. You could use a CD player instead and play something until they stop. Of course, it has to be something that won't get everyone wound up!

4. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I read something last year on this site about using a music box and then rewarding the class if there was music left over. Do you do that too and it so what are the rewards?

5. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I do that! :) Actually, I often forget to use the music box, but if I've promised the reward, the kids still get it lol.
    This past year the reward was usually just a piece of candy. I'd like to do something like extra inside recess or a video at the end of the day on Friday, but the schedule didn't allow that this year.

I also really like clapping in a pattern that the kids repeat, or just start to sing loudly(opera style) or do something silly that gets their attention.
    I don't like the give me five or the hand in the air with the peace sign. Kids will try to start that on their own and I usually think they are raising their hands! lol

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  6. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I usually say in a normal voice "If you can hear me, clap once." Wait five seconds. "If you can hear me, clap two times." Wait 5 seconds. "If you can hear me, clap three times." Wait another five seconds. By the third time, the whole class is clapping and looking at me.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

I raise my hand in a "Stop" motion...palm out, facing them, arm at chest level, sticking straight out. The kids know to put their finger to their lip and motion to others. Works very well and it's quiet. It's like one of the arm movements you would use if you were singing, Stop in The Name of Love! LOL

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I have a silver bell on my desk that I tap. After I ring the bell, I begin counting down from 5. Many times students are in their seats and quiet before I get to 2, much less 0.

9. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

This is what I use.

10. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Jul 18, 2007

You could try and use chants. I am planning on using some type of chant that I say once and the students either repeat me, or repeat and expected phrase. For instance, I say Sponge Bob and the students repeat "square pants". Or, I say "ears" and they say "open". This technique is used in the military to gain the attention of groups of recruits and works well. Here is a video link of a teacher using another method that seems very effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8WpiueGP5s&mode=user&search=

11. WindyCityGal606

Jul 18, 2007

I just watched it and got some great ideas! I think the constant I'm seeing in many of these teacher videos is incorporating movement into learning! I will definitely get my kids more involved in moving and chanting but I still want the noise level to be softer. We have a very small school and the walls are thin so out of respect for all, I have to keep the noise level low. We will definitely do the chanting and movements but we will do these with whisper voices!

12. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Thanks everyone for all your great advice! I like the clapping, chants, bell, and music box. So my next question is, is it okay to try them all out with my class or is it better to start the year with just one and keep it throughout the year since procedures are so important at the beginning of the year.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 18, 2007

One thing we do is flicker the light switch. If I flicker it 1-2 times, look at me. If I turn off the lights (need windows), I am not happy with the state of the room. At that point everyone does what they are supposed to do and sits quietly. I don't turn it on until I'm ready. Keep in mind this is a deaf classroom but anyone can use it. Most of the time 1-2 flicks gets everything I need IF I've trained them to understand what it means (stop what you are doing and all eyes on me). We mostly use this for transition or if I really need their attention because I'm not getting it in other ways. Keep in mind we can't just talk to them. Sometimes when we do the shoulder tapping, by the time we get to the last kid, the first 4 have already started getting busy with other things and aren't looking. So lights are more efficient when the room needs transitioning or focusing.

I've used it on hearing kids and because it tends to be a novelty, they enjoy it.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

1-2-3 all eyes on me (yes, I even used it with 5th graders).

I see Anna lined up quietly, I see ....

Hand raised in the air in peace sign.

I need to see you eyes.

15. WindyCityGal606

Jul 18, 2007

Complimenting one and saying waht it is they are doing correctly really does work. I evened used that with my 7th graders last year and they would really be eager for a compliment. Wonderful!! Everyone likes to hear praise for the things they do correctly!