Getting student interested in other books..

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by katydid205, Oct 22, 2007.

1. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Oct 22, 2007

I have a boy who will ONLY read Goosebumps books. While I am extremely happy that he's able to read those chapter books (2nd grade) I am not able to get him to choose other books. He will do guided reading, but will say "i dont like that book". I've tried showing him other types of mysteries and some nonfiction books. Any advice on ways to motivate him to branch out and read more types of books?

3. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

Are these books that he is checking out at the school library? If so, I would tell him that he can only check out a Goosebumps book every other time he visits the library (or something). Then try to have a list of scary/mystery type books to suggest instead.

If this is a book he is either bringing from home or checking out at the public library, I would tell him that they are ok to read at home, but that at school you would like him to choose something else.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 22, 2007

I have had students in that situation, and it has been a gradual process. What are his favorite subjects? If he likes science, for example, you can get him interested in science books. I've had a student who only read dinosaur/dragon books and another who never read chapter books until I encouraged him to do so.

5. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Oct 22, 2007

I had a student who was similiar and would only read a certain type of book---and it was one that was too hard for him to funnly understand. What I did was I went to the thrift store and bought a book for him based on his interests (which I'd gotten just from talking to him he really liked nonfiction--sharks). The next day during their bellwork I pulled him aside and said "I was at the book store and saw this book that I just knew you were going to love. I've already read it and its a great book so I wanted to share it with you." Then after he finished reading it, he got some one-on-one attention because we talked about it together. Seemed to work with him. :)

6. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Oct 22, 2007

Thanks for all of your ideas!

7. strepsils

strepsils Companion

Oct 23, 2007

I found that grabbing a book from the class library when you have a spare five minutes, and reading it to the class (with lots of expression, and really sell the book -- i.e. "this is my favourite because ....") worked wonders at getting a student interested in reading last year.

8. kburen

kburen Cohort

Oct 23, 2007

I wouldn't suggest telling him that he can only check out a goosebumps books every other week. Checking out a book in the library is supposed to be for enjoyment....If he enjoys reading those books, let him check those out. Just try in class to sway him into other books. I know in my school I would have parents VERY angry if I tried to tell their child what they could and could not check out of the library if there was nothing wrong with what they were picking on their own.

I had the same problem with one of my 5th graders my first year teaching. It was just something that me and his parents worked on with him continuously. If he likes the goosebumps he should LOVE the newer series that RL Stein did for kids....Rotten School. See if you can get him to try one of those....My 5th graders loved them and they arent much harder (if any) to read than the goosebumps ones. They all gross and things that kids love (the first one is called The Big Blueberry Barf Off).

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 23, 2007

I have a kid who reads only two series. Warriors and Animorphs. Animorphs is pretty much out of print. His mom went to Goodwill and bought them out (I told her to check.) He has now read about 30 of the books, but will read nothing else. Ug. I have so many other battles to pick with him, this is one I am leaving alone. He reads above grade level and has good comprehension. He will tire of them eventually... I hope.

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2007

Yes he will tire of them. My son would only read Goosebumps and then on to Animorphs. I let him go, he was reading and I was happy that he was enjoying it!

11. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Oct 23, 2007

I tell my kids that they can check anything out of the school library, but if it is not on their level they need to bring it home and read it with a grownup. They very quickly learn to pick on their level.

They check books out of the classroom library that are on their level or very nearly and can choose anything. The big fad right now is the Scary Story series.

I have had kids tell me they dont like the guided reading books and my answer to that is...this is what your group is doing this week/month and it will change soon, but isnt it great that you get to read so many other books from the library too.

As long as they are reading quality literature with me in guided reading then I really dont care what they are reading independently as long as it is on their level. But they get smart too because we do reading response letters and I have had kids tell me that they need to choose a better book on the weeks they have to do responses because they have trouble writing about Goosebumps and Scary Story type books.