Getting started with Love and Logic?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by jeljohns, May 18, 2009.

1. jeljohns

jeljohns Rookie

May 18, 2009

I have read the Teaching with Love and Logic book twice now. I agree with just about everything in the book and the style really appeals to me. I really want to give it a shot next year. My question is: How do you get started with Love and Logic? My biggest hurdle seems to be choices and turning garbage in to gold. When a kid does something bad it is really hard for me to think of two choices on the spot. I usually panic and revert back to my old ways. I also have trouble making sure I’m always phrasing things in a totally positive way. How do you think of good choices to give in the moment? What is the best way to really change the way you are teaching in to a L&L style?

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 28, 2009

I started using it midyear. It was most useful for me to use it piece by piece. I started off by giving students choices. "You can choose to sit down or go stand out in the hall." Then I gradually added more things until it was totally natural.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

I think with any discipline approach, the transition is going to take time and even when it's made, it's going to be a blend of that particular discipline approach and other approaches you innately take. Don't get frustrated if you're not phrasing everything in a positive way - it'll become second nature before you know it. You're having to change the way you naturally react to certain situations and people so it's going to take time.

I can't believe I'm recommending another forum, but visit loveandlogicforum.com for more advice if you haven't already. I'm sorry AtoZ! I feel like I've been having an affair. :lol:

5. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

May 30, 2009

If you cannot think of something on the spot, you can tell the offender his options are to do what you ask or you will have to do something. If he asks what, tell him you will let him know. This gives you time to think of something appropriate and him some time to worry about what it will be. Doesn't work all the time. You may have to escalate if the inappropriate behavior continues and is disruptive to the class. But when it works, it is very effective.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 30, 2009

I started using love and logic earlier this year and then started reverting to my old ways again, too. I can't wait to start fresh in the Fall! I don't have such a hard time coming up with the choices, but it's the consequences that give me the most trouble. I only have my classes for 2 hours a day so sometimes it's hard to think of a consequence that can be given in only that time frame, especially for one that fits the crime!

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2009

I've been reading up on conscious discipline says you should offer 2 positive choices. The books says if you say "You may do your work or pull a card/go to the office/lose recess" you are giving a false choice. this book says the choice would have to be something like"You may do the odd problems or the even problems first".

Conscious discipline is similar to L&L, but with definent differences. Although I admit I think CD is better for younger grades.

8. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I'm not familiar with love and logic, but I get the idea about giving 2 choices and I use it often in my class.
    My biggest problems in 1st grade are usually disruptions and not following directions. If during guided reading I see a child at a work station who is causing a disruption I give them the choice to either correct their behavior or take the station to their seat away from others. Or sometimes I give them the choice to sit quietly at my teacher table while I finish the guided reading lesson.
    If the problem occurs when I'm teaching whole group at the rug or when working at their desks I again let them choose between correcting the behavior where they are or moving back to their desk or to my empty teacher table. Moving to the hallway is occasionally on option too. So my options are just changes in location. It works pretty well.