Getting sick from the kids!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Dec 9, 2006.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 9, 2006

Hi Everyone!

I am a first year teacher, and right now I have 16 four-year-olds. I have already been sick 4 or 5 times and it's only December! I'm doing everything I can, washing my hands, eating healthy, taking vitamins, sleeping right, all the usual stuff, but my immunity has always been a little weakened to begin with. I feel like every time I kick something, somebody else has a sliiightly different version of it that I catch. I know that this is a normal thing that new teachers go through, I'm just wondering how long it took all of you until you started to become immune to all of their little diseases? I really can't take much more of this!!

3. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Dec 10, 2006

TeacherGrl7--After years of working with 4 year olds, in a new placement it took me 3-4 mos.--and I tended to keep that immunity for awhile!:)

I'd add that continual reminders to the kiddos to wash, a lesson on germ transmission, plenty of tissues and demo-ing how to 'catch your cough/sneeze' is REALLY important.

I also utilize disinfectant (bleach solution) on door handles, etc. every day.......

Don't forget your oj, too!

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 10, 2006

Here is a list of ideas:

Move the student’s wastebasket away from your desk. Keep a small one under your desk for you to use.

Crack a window a tiny bit for fresh air.

Plants are wonderful. Plilodendrom, Spider Plants and Wondering Jew are easy to grow.

Wash your hands often. Use anti-bacterial wipes or spray on the door knobs and wipe down student's desk everyday. Be sure and wipe their pencils. Put a bit of spray on their desk and give them a paper towel and let them clean before leaving each day.

Never use students pencils. Don't let students use your pencils or scissors.

Teach them to cough in their elbows, not on their hands.

Spray the room with Lysol.

Drink orange juice and green tea.

GERMS--- sneeze and cough and about spreading germs. (Of course this is done in August when it's still hot!) I hold a misting bottle in my hand (they think I am taking care of the critters or plants) and start talking to them, suddenly I start sneezing and coughing. I squirt the misting bottle in the air as I do. I am walking around the room so I tag 'em all! I ask them what I should have done and of course they all yell "cover your mouth". So I "sneeze" and "cough" using the bottle in my hand. My hand gets soaking wet. I then walk around the room shaking hands, touching shoulders, pencils, desks, etc. They realize how far my "germs" spread. It leads to a really good discussion on how to prevent spreading germs.
    GERMS-----Have the kids divide into three equal groups. Have one kid from each group come up and spray their hand with water then dip it into a bag of glitter. Have each of the three volunteers dip in three different colors. Then they go back to their group and shake hands with everyone in their group. Once you have done that have the kids inspect their own hands for "germs". Then coat the volunteers hand again and let all of the kids shake with kids from the other groups. You could give a limit of shaking with 7 kids or something. When they are done they should have a fairly good dose of "germs" on their hand. You can then go over proper hand washing techniques while they wash the "germs" away.

"Immunity diet". It consists of dairy products like yogurt and cottage cheese (for the whey protein), lots of tomatoes (and substitute tomato soup for chicken noodle when you're sick), www.womenshealthmag.com if you're interested.

DO NOT touch your eyes and/or nose

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2006

I have had a sinus infection for the last 2 weeks. It is my third one since school started. Those are all great ideas for younger kids, but with the high schoolers I would imagine it is different. I should be more diligent about the door handles and such, though. I use Clorox hard surface spray when I remember to do it.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2006

I am in the midst of my annual bronchial infection right now. I don't know that you can ever completely prevent yourself from getting sick, but be sure to take the time to take care of yourself when you are.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

keep a supply of Ariborne and vitaminc C on hand.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2006

Does Airborne really work?

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

My husband says it does... I'm a skeptic. Maybe he's having a placebo effect:p :D

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

I think it took me about a whole year to build up my immune system. Make sure you or your school are also following your sick policies! Allowing sick kids (outside of the normal colds) in care will only make it worse too, and get others sick.

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 10, 2006

We talk about germs a lot, and I must say "go get a tissue" about a dozen times in a 2 1/2 hour session!! I have been looking for a good book to read them about germs and what we do to keep from spreading them. I used to know of one that was terrific but it is totally escaping me right now!

12. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Dec 10, 2006

This looks like a good book Germs are not for Spreading, by Elizabeth Verdick. I have not read this book but I have read another of hers Hands are not for hitting. Very simple good for 2's and PreK.

13. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Dec 12, 2006

Yup, me too. I just went to the dr. yesterday, for round one of Antibiotics. I have fluid in my ears too....OUCH!:eek:

It's not easy to stay well when parents send their little ones in with snotty noses. I teach 2's, and they aren't really good about wiping and blowing themselves:rolleyes:

14. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Dec 12, 2006

I read Germs are Not for Sharing today to the kiddies, what a great book! It was so simple and to the point, and it covered everything. They were really receptive to it, I just hope I see some effects! I can't wait until this sickness ends..........

15. ad65shorty

ad65shorty Companion

Dec 13, 2006

I recommend the flu shot! Ever since I have begun receiving it, I haven't been nearly as sick! I used to catch colds (which were constant through the winter months), strep, and of course, the flu. The year my baby was born, as parents, we were required to get it in order to protect him (especially because my husband and I are both educators). I have not gotten the flu or strep since! And my colds have improved immensely!! I swear by it, and all of us get it every year now.

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

In the current Parenting magazine there is a coupon for a free copy of Germs Germs Germs from Scholastic. I don't know if the offer is on their website or not.

17. msjustice

msjustice Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

the biggest thing for me is make sure u have ur flu shot, recommend it to all ur parents, and make sure the kids constantly wash your hands and after they leave the room bleach or lysol all surfaces, including door handles and toilets!

18. Myname

Myname Comrade

Dec 15, 2006

Like Jenpooh said I believe it takes awhile to build up your immune system. You will not be sick next year like this year.

19. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 16, 2006

Hi- I think every person is different. For me, it took 5 years in Pre-K to get to the point where I am not sick all the time. I am allergic to the antibacterial stuff like Purell so I use soap and water only, it works great and according to my doctor Purell is not necessary to stay healthy. Some great advice has been given so far in this thread, I have implemented a lot of the advice above and it works for me.

Here is my list of what I do to stay healthy:

Flu Shot

Airborne daily during cold and flu season

Lysol all tables and doorknobs daily

Wipe telephone and keyboard of computer with alcohol wipes weekly or after anyone else uses them.

Never, ever use the same tissue box as the students, I keep my own on my desk on top of my computer- where the kids can't reach :)

Teach them to cough in their elbows

Never use student pencils, crayons, or scissors

Never touch face during the day at school, don't rub eyes, nose, scratch etc- it's a hard habit to break but can be done.

Drink plenty of water daily- keeping hydrated is CRUCIAL to staying healthy. When I implemented a 2 bottles of water per school day rule I started to have fewer incidents of illness. I force myself to drink two bottles of water during each school day and I must finish them before I leave each day.

Get plenty of rest, I go to bed at 9pm each night and get up at 5:00 (I have a long commute) so I can get at least 8 hours per night. Sleep is also a crucial part of staying healthy. I can almost guarantee illness if I start staying up late and not getting enough sleep.

De-Stress- I listen to relaxation music on my ipod daily sometimes at school during my planning times, after school, or sometimes at night before bed- they're great!

Good luck!