getting rid of the teacher desk...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teresateaches, Aug 21, 2012.

1. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 21, 2012

is this crazy talk?

last year, I never used mine. It was a place to store junk in the drawers and pile junk on top. I never once sat at it. It was just there taking up space I could have used for other things. I've never been a desk sitter, even when the kids aren't there. I'm doing stuff, copying, running around, planning, etc. The only time I sat down last year was at the computer table in the back of the room during planning when I needed to find activities, print, lesson plan, etc.

This year, I have a laptop issued and all the kids have lap tops so no computer station.

I'm thinking of just getting rid of the teacher desk since my laptop will be on the rolling AV cart.

Anyone done this?

Thoughts?

Any reasons you can forsee to keep it?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 21, 2012

If I'm allowed to get rid of mine, I always do.

I moved to a new district. I was told to hang on to mine as its hard to get one once it's moved out so it's shoved against a wall for this year.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 21, 2012

A lot of people chose not to have teacher desks.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 21, 2012

I have had years without a desk and years with one. As far as not having one, the only issue was my "stuff" got piled up on my small group table, and I had to constantly move it to work with groups. If you have a good organization system, it can work great. When I switched schools, my room was super small and there was zero storage, so I ended up getting a desk just to put my "stuff."

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

Will you have a secure place to put your personal items (purse, ibuprofen, whatever)?

7. teresateaches

teresateaches Companion

Aug 21, 2012

I will. There is a locking cabinet in the room.

8. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

I got rid of my desk several years ago and it is a decision that I don't regret. It was simply taking up to much real estate. This new space allowed me to create two stationary centers for the students.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 21, 2012

Just got rid of mine today. :) I have a closet for my purse and I'll hang my coat on the back of my rolling chair. Everything else has been organized into various drawers.

This desktop thing holds all my office supplies:

[​IMG]

(Note: This is my friend's from 1st grade, but same thing/idea.)

I put it on the end of the computer table. That was most of the stuff I put in my desk last year. Anything else I'll put away as the need arises.

10. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 21, 2012

This is the first year I've gotten rid of mine. I'm using a kidney table for my desk and area to work with kids. So far I love it! It freed up so much room and it made much more sense to combine my area (that I never really use anyway - except to pile stuff) with an area to work with small groups. I'd say about half of the teachers in my school don't have desks.

11. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

For the last three years, at my old school, I didn't have one since the school didn't allow them. It was hard at first since I didn't know how to organize, but now that I do, I find that I don't need one. I have one at my new school, but it's a good shape/size, so it works. I don't think I'll use it to sit at much, but I like having a place to put stuff on, like papers. I also saw on Pinterest, a teacher used those plastic door hanging shoe organizers to store stuff in when she didn't have a desk. That could work well.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 21, 2012

I would feel lost without a desk. I like having my space. I work at my desk. I don't have any other place to set up work space either.

13. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2012

I got rid of my desk this year. It opened up so much space in my classroom. I am loving the end result. I always used the desk as a dumping ground so I just found a shelf area to use as a dumping area instead.

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2012

My desk was a HUGE old metal eye sore. I didn't want it, I knew I'd never sit at it- plus it's my co-teacher and I working in the room- so who gets to sit at the desk? We have a small group table that we sit at if we're doing work or we just sit at the kids' tables when they're not there. I'm sooo glad I got rid of it! We have a small printer table where we keep our office supplies and important papers. It's much easier to keep organized than an entire desk.

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 22, 2012

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2012

I have mine turned and shoved against the wall behind my kidney table. I don't use it to sit at, but I keep my textbooks on there, along with my magazine holders for each day of the week, a hanging file crate to organize papers, and an organizer to keep office supplies within easy reach. The drawers are used for extra storage.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 22, 2012

Very few teachers at my school have desks. We all got rid of them a few years ago. I started the ball rolling after reading some of Debbie Diller's books, then others jumped on and none of us looked back! Now, looking at my room, I can't even imagine finding room for a desk.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

We had to get rid of our desks. It's hard to get used to because mine had great hiding spots for papers and plans I could grab in a hurry as needed. Now everything is in this tall metal cabinet and I have to drag everything out of it to work on things at a table that the kids use for lunch and art. It's ridiculous. My desk was not enormous and I kept it very clean and organized.
    Teachers and desks just go together.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

My desk delineates 'my space':D

The entire rest f the room is OUR shared space.

And even then, kids know where the white out, Sharpies and staplers are at my desk so they can grab with permission as needed!

21. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Aug 22, 2012

My desk is turned behind my kidney table. I like it like that, the only thig that is on it is my computer, pens, a calendar, and binders with manuals, worksheets, lessons plans, etc.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 22, 2012

I like having a desk. That's where my desktop computer, printer, and Elmo are located. I have lots of personal things in my drawers, too: cell phone, keys, Advil, chocolate :cool:, etc.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Advil might be better kept in a higher location..I have a basket with Tylenol, feminine products, nail file, hand cream in my top file cabinet drawer...too high for second graders to reach.:)

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

The kids knew that my desk was "my" personal space to keep things. They frequently bring me things they find in the room, draw me pictures, write me "letters," etc. Well now they don't know where to put things for "me!" We all miss my desk. You should have seen me today, digging out my plans from this stupid file cabinet, shuffling through my "cabinet" for personal items, and locating a bunch of other stuff through the day that used to be in the top drawer of my desk!

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

Did they give you a reason for eliminating desks?

26. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2012

I have 2 teacher desks. One for the computer, one without. That's is where I keep all of the copies we need for the day, papers that get collected, important school papers, etc. I conference with students there. I spend just general time there. I couldn't imagine not having a teacher desk. It's the first place I go in the morning, it is where I am planning, when students are taking tests, doing some individual work, at lunch, after school. Crazy to not have a desk.
    I am excited for the future when I will have a desk that is my primary place to work all day long.

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

No reason was given at first. The director came in and told everyone that the message from the boss was. "All desks are to go," and she didn't offer any reason. I was really upset and and talked to the boss at the end of the day to find out what was going on. She told me that the goal was to make all classroom space to be "child friendly" in order to impress the "5-star program." Every space is to be used for the children. The other director felt that I should have been able to keep my desk since I am the Preschool Teacher, but the boss said to be fair, it applied to everyone.
    In my case, the space gained from eliminating my desk is a very small corner where there is now a bucket of Legos!!! The kids don't even use the space because they know that's where my desk was!!! :lol:

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

This is what we are trying in my classroom this year. The desk faces the wall and our horseshoe table is in front of it. Neither of us tend to use the desk when students are in the room, so we think it will work well for us. It does seem to open up the room more!

29. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Aug 23, 2012

I didn't have a desk (wasn't permitted) when teaching Preschool. I really disliked not having an "adult" size chair and desk or table to do the massive prep work required to run a preschool classroom. My butt and back would hurt so much after sitting at the tiny kidney table and small chair doing hours of prepping. I would always have to move my prep stuff off of the table so we could use it for eating, centers, and activities.

Now if my job didn't require so much prep work, a well organized set of drawers would work fine. But I do like to have my own space where I can just keep my ongoing projects without having to move them.