Getting rid of cable

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Chrissteeena, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 5, 2011

Cable One already has caps on their internet, so we already pay $25-30 extra for our internet to have no cap.

BF works 7:30a.m. - 5p.m. and I will be working 2-10:30p.m. ...we have only actually watched maybe 2 or 3 hours total of cable in the two months that we've been here. I'd rather watch shows on the computer (if hulu says web only) and then netflix and hulu through the xbox than pay for something that we aren't using.

Yay for saving $55 a month!

Or ... yay for finding an extra $50 so we can put BOTH cars in the underground heated parking? HAhaha

Does anyone not have cable and only using hulu or netflix? Or if you got rid of cable... did you/ do you miss it?

3. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Oct 5, 2011

We are considering doing this, so I'll be glad to hear feedback. Most of the shows I watch on are on Hulu anyway. I'm a SAHM so I often have the TV on in the background but it's a waste - there's nothing I need to be watching all day long! I just enjoy the Today Show in the morning and that's basic cable.

Comcast said we could switch it from DH's name to my name and get another 6 months of the lower promo price but I think I'd rather just cut it at this point.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2011

I've been debating this, too. I currently don't have internet at home, so I have to investigate how the pricing would all work. Also, I don't have any sort of device for watching streaming things on the TV, so I would probably want something for that. My biggest issue is that I can't get any local channels at all where I am, and I would miss watching football!

5. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 5, 2011

I don't remember what BF said is on our TV but he said we might be able to pull in local channels straight from it.

The cable company also charges us $8 for the cable box and we have to pay $5 for the modem (or whatever it is called for the internet--- router, modem... something to give me internet lol).

With where BF and I are in this point of our lives.... saving money is more important than cable.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 5, 2011

If they still had analog TV, I would definitely just do that. There are only a few shows I watch regularly on cable (almost everything else is on the local stations), and I could always look those shows up online. My parents have a very "basic" cable package that basically gives them only the local channels for less than 10 bucks a month. Unfortunately, we don't have that option in my area- the cheapest/smallest option is about 60 channels, which is what I have. I bundle with my internet, which brings both prices down, so it's not too bad. I'd have to pay a higher price for the internet if I just wanted that, so for now it makes sense to keep both.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 5, 2011

My mom got rid of her cable in 2009, the day after my dad died. She does still have the television, and I hooked up a digital box and antenna for her. She gets one channel, maybe two when the weather is just so. She's never turned it on.

I wouldn't ever switch to online only because I never ONLY watch television. The TV is more like background noise to whatever else I'm doing. Getting anything reliable with an antenna is next to impossible with terrain here.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 5, 2011

We've become accustomed to having the iMac or the iPad playing in the background when we're doing something. If we are cleaning, we turn the iMac on and play music. If we are in the kitchen cooking we usually have the iPad set up on the stand playing music or streaming a t.v. show that we can listen too.

Since we're not on a contract right now we're figuring it will be the best time to do it. If we find ourselves going crazy we can always add it back.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2011

We live in a very small town. Our cable company just went out of business so it was Dish or Direct TV. For a week we had nothing.
    It was a GREAT week with no idiot box. Then we got Dish Network.
    They go 80 miles to Jax for our local stations when all three networks are just 15 miles away in Gainesville. I hate their policies.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 5, 2011

I do not have cable or even basic tv. I watch tv shows on HULU or other internet sites. We had an extra computer so we hooked it up to our tv in the living room so the TV is the computer "screen" and we have a mouse and keyboard on the coffee table which is our "remote control". I would have been paying at least $70/month for cable right now since the rates keep going up

11. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Oct 5, 2011

I switched from cable to netflix only. I did miss the cable a little bit. Now we also have hulu+ and I'm not missing the cable.

12. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Oct 5, 2011

I don't have cable- even basic. I watch Netflix and Hulu on my computer. $16 +$56 dollars for internet is still cheaper than cable + internet.

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2011

Having Dish is one of my quality of life splurges.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 5, 2011

We haven't had cable or Sat. since we moved into our new house in Nov. 2009. Sometimes I miss it. But most of the time I'm fine watching the tv shows the day after they air on my computer. I tend to go to ABC, NBC or CBS before going to HULU.
    We had netflix but got rid of that to because we didn't watch it enough.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2011

We didn't have cable for 6 months when we moved here and I missed it terribly. Now I have very basic cable through Sky (so I get quite a few American channels and am able to change many of the channels into English) for only $169 pesos a month, or about $15 USD, more or less. Cable is much cheaper here (of course there are more expensive options).

16. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2011

I've had Netflix for a while and just added Hulu.

Haven't had cable in years.

I miss shows like House Hunters, but I *could* watch some episodes online if I really wanted to.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 6, 2011

Good for you! I would get rid of it if it were not for DH attachment to sports shows.

As a kid, we had just TV w/local stations. When the TV went out, no more TV! We (a family of 7) would go for months with no TV. It was so refreshing! We found lots of other things to do - cleaning, cooking, playing outside, READING, talking to each other, playing games together (board games as adults all living in the same house! way cool.).

18. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 8, 2011

We just went out and bought an amplified antenna. We're getting 12 channels and except for like two or three channels that we watched (SyFy, HGTV and ABC Family) we're getting all the major channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, etc.)

On to saving $60 a month (I thought it was $50 but w/ the HD cable box rental it adds on $10 more)

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2011

Cool, Chris! I was thinking about the antenna, too. I'm not sure if that would help--I'm about an hour away from a big city.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 9, 2011

I for one NEED my cable. There's too many shows I like watching & it's one of my ways of relaxing, like how people like to relax at the bar drinking a drink. I would NEVER get rid of it. :)

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

Some of the shows I watch from a free website includes ABC Family and SyFy. I have learned that most of the time if I really want to watch a show I can find it somewhere online. It's great that you're saving so much money!

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

We can't get cable out here, but we have a dish. I think I would miss it, but I can't be sure. I don't have any "must see" shows that I watch regularly (although there are a couple shows I watch a season at a time through Netflix), so most of my tv watching is random in nature. I think if I depended on the Internet, I would miss out of those programs I find accidently. I love the channels that show Ancient Egypt marathons or hour after hour of astronomy-based shows or "Through the Wormhole" (♥!). But it's not something I have to seriously consider as my husband wouldn't do without his sports package for baseball and college basketball.

23. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Oct 9, 2011

I would love to get rid of cable! It drives me nuts how much time my husband and kids spend in front of the television. But, I guess in reality, I spend just as much in front of the TV! We've talked a few times about getting rid of the cable - the biggest loss would be that my kids and husband LOVE Sports Center. Is ESPN available through Hulu+ or Netflix? What about Disney Channel shows? Those are the two major channels I think we would miss the most! Sorry for hi-jacking, but would love to know more about Hulu+ and Netflix!

24. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 9, 2011

ama- we tried two antennas before we got the 12 channels we get now (well 10 because we got 2 spanish channels and neither of us speak spanish so we deleted them). I think if we lived in a different location the cheaper antenna (non amplified) would have worked better (that one was $25). We ended up with a $50 amplified antenna and the picture quality is actually better than we had when we had cable! Since we do have hulu+ and netflix our entertainment is now a total of $16 a month. =)

Ms. I- I thought I NEEDED cable too. But, after moving we realized we don't watch cable as much as we thought we did. We are usually a day or two (if not a week) behind in our shows. So for newer shows, we use hulu plus (modern family, community, parks and rec, the office) a day or so after the show airs. We are a full season behind in SVU so we've been watching last season on Netflix. When we're done, we will wait for this season to go onto Netflix and watch it. All of our big shows that we watch are either on NBC, ABC, FOX so that is what the antenna brings us. We do watch a few shows on USA- which some are on hulu plus and we do watch a few shows on SyFy which are also either on netflix or hulu plus.

25. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 9, 2011

I don't think ESPN is available through either. I know ESPN3 is available on the X-box, however, from what my BF said, you need a compatible cable company in order to get the games. I didn't see the disney channel shows on hulu+. As for netflix, under Children and Family there are a lot of movies and there is a section that says Kids TV which seems to have some stuff (that I've heard of- some that I haven't lol)

26. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2011

There are some Disney shows...Phineas and Ferb, Good Luck Charlie, The Suite Life on Deck, Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, and The Suite Life of Zack & Cody.

27. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 9, 2011

Dish Network was the option besides cable. We thought about it when we first moved in, but we were hesitant (with what happened at his previous job) to sign a 2 year contract with any company. The prices are also higher. We both love college football and I like baseball but we don't actually watch the games- we just keep up to date on the iPad with the scores.

Both of those shows Ancient Egypt and Through the Wormhole seem interesting. But netflix only has them on DVD... we just got rid of our DVD portion b/c they raised the prices. BF watches a show on Netflix called Ancient Aliens which he seems to enjoy.