Getting reimbursed for PD

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by DSD, Jun 29, 2013.

1. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 29, 2013

I recently completed an Orton Gillingham training and am wondering if I can ask my new school to reimburse me for it. I had indicated that I would be doing this training when I interviewed for the position in early June. I will be teaching 6th gr. math speed, which I know isn't directly related to the OG training, but I think it will come in handy when working with students on how to approach word problems. Is it worth it to ask the school to reimburse me for the training (which, by the way, was quite expensive!)?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2013

My school as remuneration policies which include having the course pre-approved.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 29, 2013

Same here.

You can try, but I imagine they will probably tell you no.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2013

My current school pays for PD. I just pay for it myself, submit receipts, and they reimburse me. I can get it paid for ahead of time if I submit it early enough. But mine have been really cheap (only $30-60). The other schools I worked at didn't do this-they had no extra money for PD.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 29, 2013

I doubt they will. I'm assuming this was expensive too because the real OG training near me is like $600-$800 if memory serves. If it was like that I guarantee they won't pay it.

I wouldn't bother my new principal about it. Just cost of doing business.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2013

I don't think you'll get reimbursed - my district pays upfront for all PD/flights/hotels; the only thing we have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed for are travel expenses (gas, parking, etc) and food.

8. DSD

DSD Rookie

Jun 29, 2013

Thanks everyone! The school is a charter school that seems to be doing well (they are paying me a bit more than the local DOE) but the training was pricy (just under $1000). Part of me thinks it may not hurt to ask but I also wouldn't want to annoy anyone before I've even started.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2013

I probably wouldn't ask if its that expensive and you haven't started working there yet.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 29, 2013

The money they have is budgeted for students. I think you may even offend someone in a leadership position there by asking them to pay that much for something you won't be doing there. Write it off your taxes if you can or consider it an insurance policy you took out to find a job. You didn't need it but you still had to pay the premium.

11. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jun 29, 2013

A good rule of thumb is that you ask the school if they'll pay for you before you sign up.

If I were a principal and a teacher asked me to pay for a training that already took place, I would definitely be taken aback. It's almost like a teacher asking the school to foot the bill for student loan payments. It is not standard for schools to pay for previously completed courses.

Unless you can find a school policy that might apply in this case, I don't think asking for this is a good way to start off a new job.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 29, 2013

I honestly don't think it would hurt to ask. The worst that could happen would be that they tell you know and explain their process. My principal wouldn't pay me back for a training like that, but she would probably find a way to get a little back to me (something for my classroom, etc). You could also offer to share the training with the other teachers there, that could make a difference. (Offer to present at a back to school meeting.)

13. MzQualified

MzQualified Comrade

Jun 30, 2013

It won't hurt to ask, but if it were me I wouldn't reimburse you. Especially if you technically don't even work for the school yet. For example, I was just hired, but my start date isn't until Aug. so I wouldn't possibly think that they would reimburse me for something I decide to do this summer, before even starting.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

There is no way I would ask in your situation. You listed it as something you were planning to do before they hired you and completed it before your hire date. Asking at this point could really start you off on the wrong foot.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

I disagree with 'it couldn't hurt to ask'...your admin could be 'taken aback' as noted by a prior pster..best would be to ask a new colleague what the pd remuneration policies are for future classwork ..highly doubtful that the policyi is to pay for completed, not pre- approved courses.:2cents:

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

I personally wouldn't ask. I would be afraid to make someone upset with me before I even started. Plus, it technically doesn't apply to your position, even if it might be helpful. And as you stated, you said you were going.

All of our PD has be board-approved ahead of time.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 30, 2013

I'm obviously in the minority. I wouldn't demand, of course, but simply asking the procedure for reimbursement and if it would apply to the pd...I honestly don't see the harm. You are new to the school and that's information you don't know yet. Chances are they will say no, but they might say yes. I have a good relationship with my principal, my school secretary, and vice principal. Maybe that's why I don't see it as a problem.