Getting Ready to Go Back to School

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mldouglas, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

It is beginning to look like I will be subbing again this year. I noticed that on one of the other teacher forums that someone posted about a checklist/ things to do to get ready for back to school . I thought it would be nice to post a similar thread on the subsitute forum. Is there anything special anyone does to get ready to go back to school?

Mldouglas

3. Tookie Williams

Tookie Williams Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

pay your phone bill and know directions to all the area schools

4. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Jul 28, 2007

I'm ordering fresh business cards from Vista Print (for free) and 25 magnets (for free) as well. I just have to pay shipping. The magnets will just have my name, Substitute Teacher and my phone number on them. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want on my business cards right now. I know what I want, I'm just trying to figure out the order and wording. I want them to show that I'm not just a substitute teacher, but also an Alternative Certfication Candidate seeking a full-time position. I also want to add on there that I'm 4 - 8 Generalist (although I'll sub in any grade and/or subject). So, I'm playing around with it right now to see what looks the best.

I've also made sure my lunch tote is in good shape, will probably get a new spiral (I love to take notes about the different rooms I'm in), might get me a new tote bag to carry everything in, will get a good clipboard (just in case the teacher doesn't have one...I tend to carry it around the entire day so I can make notes for the teacher and/or myself).

I guess that's it. Luckily, when you sub in different schools, you don't have to have too many "teacher-y" outfits b/c you can wear the same one(s) over and over. So I won't be needing to replenish my wardrobe. Yea! It's hard enough doing that for my 3 kids. :)

Anyone else have any ideas?

Michele

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2007

Yes, I can make my own busines cards at home. I haven't subbed in a long time (I didn't all last school year), so it'll feel a little weird at first to start back again.

My to-do list:

- get clothes & shoes ready (also good idea to keep an extra pair of comfortable shoes in the car at all times, so if the ones you wear end up hurting, you can quickly change).

- maybe always keep a sweater in your car that will match w/ anything (you don't know how cold the classroom you go to that day will be).

- I always keep an umbrella in my car (fall & winter weather will be coming up)

- make hair apointment

- always have worksheets/busy work on hand, you don't know how much time you'll have to kill & you don't want the kids to get wrestless & unruly

- it may be a good idea to always keep stickers/incentives in the car (you don't know how misbehaved the kids will be that day & if you can reward them for being good, it'll make your day go easier).