Getting Ready for Parent Open House before school!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teachnrun, Jul 20, 2006.

1. teachnrun

teachnrun Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Greetings! I'm getting ready to walk into my classroom as a teacher for the first time on Aug. 8th. What recommendations do you have for what to be prepared for on day one? Do you have suggestions what to have for a parents' open house night that your school has prior to the start of school?

3. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 20, 2006

I usually have some sort of emergency card for the parents to fill out, I usually get more up to date info than what's on file. I also include a welcome packet with Q & A's for the parents. I also write a little letter to the kids letting them know what we will be doing this year and let them make a temporary name tag for their desk. That way if they go by another name or shortened name I will get it right when I do their permanent tags.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2006

I just go through my introductory packet, lead everyone around the room, and have parents work on paperwork there or at home. I ask the students questions about their interests and try to get to know each one that comes a little bit.

5. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 21, 2006

Hi Teachnrun ~

I noticed your are in Arizona. What district are you teaching in? I teach in Kyrene.

I wasn't sure what grade level you are teaching but I have a "Welcome to 5th Grade" packet that I give out at Meet the Teacher night as well as some other forms. I'm sure you'd be able to adjust them to your grade level. I'd be happy to email it to you if you want.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2006

I personally do not give anything to the parents on open house night unless the ask for it (ex my supply list). I tried to give things out years past, and lost track of who I had given what to (that time of the year is crazy as far as paper work goes!!!)

I let the kids/parents take a tour of the room & answer questions. I am a "newbie" at my school this year, so it will probably be a busy night since they do not know me!

7. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 21, 2006

I will have a packet of info (in a gallon sized ziploc bag) at each desk. Then, after open house I can see at a glance who didn't show up, b/c the bag is still at their desk. Those students will take it home the first day of school. In the packet will be: welcome letter, behavior policy, important info (about homework, grading, birthdays, etc.) a parent input sheet for them to let me know about their child, along with any papers the school wants sent home (emergency medical forms, menu, etc.)

8. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

katenar

I also teach 5th grade in CA. This is just my second year of teaching and so I am still trying to refine my parent information. Would it be possible for you to email me the information you have? I would really appreciate it.:thanks:

louise771@verizon.net

9. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

To eliminate the question of if someone got paper work or not I put all of the information a family will need o the students desk. I let me kids pick a desk when they first come in so I just let them know they can pick a desk with the paper work still on it and no nametag taped on. It works really well.

10. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 21, 2006

I normally have my parents fill out all the forms that usually go home on the first day. The most important question I ask is how will your child get home on the first day. I'm interested in seeing the 5th grade packet.

11. Ali

Ali Companion

Jul 21, 2006

I have come up with a survey for the parents to fill out to help me learn a little more about them, their child, and how they view their child academically. And, to make it a little more exciting, and enticing, I hold a drawing where those who take the time to fill out the survey can will a small prize.

12. sweidl

sweidl Rookie

Jul 21, 2006

I am about to start my 1st year of teaching 5th grade, and all of this information is very helpful! I have been terrified of meet your teacher night because I had no clue what to do or say. I feel much better now! Keep the suggestions coming!

13. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 25, 2006

Last year my school had a new elementary principal, and she wanted us to do 2 "presentations" during open house. Ok, even though I've taught several years, it is still kind of nerve-wracking to do that! Before open house, I buy all kids the same color folder (our school colors are blue and gold, so some years I buy both colors for a nice look!) and place one on each desk. Inside the folders are all of the necessary forms from the office, such as the emergency card, free/reduced lunch applications, etc. Also included is the syllabus for each course I will teach as well as outlined homework policies, discipline procedures, honor roll qualifications, etc. Basically all of the info that I might be questioned about later in the year is included in this packet. (I send home the folders on the first day to the parents who didn't attend open house). I briefly tell the parents what they will find in the folder and invite them to take them home to go through. I ask that all papers that must be signed and returned be sent back with the folder and all other papers be kept at home. This way the kids all have an extra folder at school, and when all of those forms come back to school I can stack my folders and go through them when the kids are at recess or special class. Also at open house, I give an overview of what we learn in 4thg rade, my expectations for the students, ways to receive tutoring, and generally just let the parents know that I am on their side!!! Hope this helps!

14. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 25, 2006

We don't have an open house or a parent's night because of the area. But I would think some things that should be done at open house is have parents fill out the student information sheets/emergency information/bus schedule, student interest surveys, hand them the supply lists, hand them the class expectations letter and explain it to them, explain the rules and consequences, contacting procedures, etc. If you use different types of folders (I have a behavior folder that goes home every week, grades folder, makeup work folder, tracking folder, etc), explain those to them.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2006

I try to be pretty comprehensive in my teaching packet and include all different types of topics to interest the parents in becoming involved in our classroom environment. The paperwork is really important to distribute, though, more than anything else.

As for being busy, my room for some reason is always busy. I had most of my families for September Open House last year (in the second month of school). It's a great thing to see the families. :)

Mrs. Mom, what did you do for presentations?

16. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 25, 2006

In answer to your question, Ms. Jasztal, basically I just explained things I would want to know about if I were the parent of one of the students. I especially let them know that I am fine with parents contacting me about ANYTHING. I sometimes tell them about when my daughter was younger and how upset she could get when she couldn't remember the assignment but was afraid to wait until the next day to ask the teacher and was positive that her mother wasn't explainging things correctly. I want my parents to know that I truly don't mind evening phone calls if it helps keep the peace in their households!! I usually talk about student responsibilities a lot, as well as the types of district and state testing the kids will go through during the year. We're a small school district so I usually already know the majority of the parents, it is usually a lively evening.

17. ar11706

ar11706 New Member

Jul 25, 2006

You can use manila folders or two pocket folders that the parents can keep. They take it home that night. You can easily see who did not attend because you still have their folder. We create a table of contents and separate the forms that need to be completed and returned from the ones they can keep.

18. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 25, 2006

Hi, I was wondering if you could e-mail me your "5th Grade" packet. I too will be teaching fifth for the first time ever...and I really need all the help I can get. By any chance, is it in Spanish too?;)
    :thanks:

19. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 26, 2006

Sure - just send me your e-mail address at katenar_78 at yahoo

20. Live to Learn

Live to Learn New Member

Jul 27, 2006

Great Ideas for Open House

Even though I am a new teacher dreading open house also, I did pick up some ideas from my mentor which I plan on incorporating into my own classroom. One idea is at the end of each school year she has the students write a letter to the next year students. It includes what they have learned, their favorite subject, their favorite activity from the year, what the new students have to look forward to and other items. At the beginning of each year her new students recieve letters from her students last year. I really like this idea. She also incorporates a small goodie bag for each child with a poem, which reads....
    "Your teacher appreciates all you can and will do so here's...
    A highlighter to remind you to highlight good things about everyone~including yourself.
    Bubblegum to hold thing together when they seem to be falling apart.
    A tootsie roll to remember the sweetness of everyday successes.
    A heart to link you with other lovers of literature.
    A button to remind you to "Button your lips" or keep from saying thing you shouldn't.
    An eraser to remind you that everyone makes mistakes, and that's okay.
    A peppermint because we're all worth a mint, as long as we work together.
    And a penny because no one can have too much luck."
    She also did manila folders with her business card stapled to the outside for each parent. (They signed in, so she could account for who had recieved a packet and who had not.) The folders had papers for parents to fill out as well as a welcome letter, her discplinary plan, and other vital information they could take home.
    I know I'm new and I'm sorry I wrote so much but I hope this helps someone.

21. Live to Learn

Live to Learn New Member

Jul 27, 2006

PS. I would also love to see the packet...I will be teaching 4th grade.

22. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jul 27, 2006

Katenar,
    I would love to have the packet too!!