Getting Pulled over Unfairly

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maithal, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

Picture this -- I am driving along being very alert because traffic is heavy on the interstate. We have to start slowing down, when BAM --my head jerks back and hits the headrest, stuff is thrown forward, etc. I was struck from behind. Why? Because the guy behind me was reaching for his cell phone and not paying attention. I learned several things - my seatbelt DOES work VERY well, and always call the cops. You guessed it - no insurance and a suspended license. It also reaffirmed my belief that there is no call that can't wait until you are parked.

2. Pookie

Pookie Rookie

Oct 9, 2010

I lost my automatic respect for them. They can still earn respect from me. I think it is fair to talk about being in America because I never thought that something like this would happen here. I said that to the cop "This is America, how can you give me a ticket when you even admit you don't know if I was speeding" That is exactly how I felt. This incident made me realize I had too much faith in the system.

3. Pookie

Pookie Rookie

Oct 9, 2010

The attorney was surprised and said the officer wouldn't be able to even prove I was the same person he ticketed. My hair was a really dark brown and he wrote blonde, I was wearing a skirt, so it wasn't like i looked like a guy, he acknowledged that my car was silver and that there were many silver cars around and wrote gold on the ticket. Another problem was that the speed limit on the street is 45, what I was supposedly going, but its in a school zone. The 25 mile limit signs say when children are present, and there weren't any children present anywhere near the street.
    I don't know why he would have done that, cause i kinda felt it make him look incompetent, so I don't think he would have done it intentionally. He told me to just pay the ticket and go to traffic school and it wouldn't be on my record. I told him no way why should i have to pay a ticket when you even admit you don't know if it was me that was speeding, he told me I could fight it but that he would be sure to be there. His tone sounded like I could fight it but he would make sure I lost.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 9, 2010

Question. What is a bluetooth.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 9, 2010

First of all, it doesn't sound like the cop has a leg to stand on. If he does show up, your lawyer IS going to make him look very incompetent.

Secondly, it wouldn't be very hard to find out what day of the week this officer has off. Since officers normally have the same day off each week, you ask for a postponement on your court date and try to reschedule on his day off. Most officers are NOT going to come into court on their day off. If he doesn't show up, you the ticket will be dismissed because you have the right to face your accuser.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2010

These annoying devices that allow people to talk to others every waking moment, hands-free.

[​IMG]

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 9, 2010

Yeah, what Justme said. I don't think people are paying attention to what they are doing even if they are talking hands free. My cart got banged into by some woman on a bluetooth. She was so engrossed in her important conversation that she didn't look where she was going! What happens when she's driving?

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2010

Bluetooth is an open wireless technology standard for exchanging data over short distances (using short wavelength radio transmissions) from fixed and mobile devices, creating personal area networks (PANs) with high levels of security

there are many uses for it one is a wireless headset for Cellphones

My Keyboard and mouse are Bluetooth

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2010

I am part of the CB generation
    A CB only has one button
    SO I surmise that pushing one button on a cellphone is legal

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 9, 2010

The reason I asked about Bluetooth is that it is a technology in speakerphones for cars AND the little O'Hura headset thingy JustMe posted. So. If Maithal was talking "on speaker" as she says in her second post, and then later on her "Bluetooth," meaning probably the thingy JustMe showed, then what does she mean by "on speaker"?

Was she holding her phone up to her face with the speaker phone that is built into her phone turned on?

Or was she using her hands-free speaker phone that is attached to her sun visor which also uses bluetooth technology?

It makes THE difference in whether she was doing something illegal or legal.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2010

And so dorky that even sixth graders won't touch them.

12. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 9, 2010

Every time I see one of those things I think of the "Borg" from Star Trek! And really, how many calls are so important that one can't wait until they can pull over? I keep my cell phone in my purse in the back floorboard when I am driving just so I won't even be tempted!

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 9, 2010

Yes, I should have been more exact with my definition...these horrible headsets are but one use of Bluetooth technology. Although I assumed that is what the OP was making reference to in her explanations.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 10, 2010

We have a parent in our school who wears one of those thingys all.the.time. Conferences. Concerts. In the bathroom. During games. Whatever-so annoying! I have never once seen a conversation actually happen with the thing on...

Now, I will say, my BIL has some sort of headset thing that he uses, but he is severely hard of hearing and it connects straight to his OTE hearing aid...it has been a lifesaver for him...

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 10, 2010

Living in Marine town I see them ALL the time ...
    Because military bases ARE VERY STRICT about phone use

But here is a funny one I found

[​IMG]
    Mike Haeg is the mayor of Mount Holly, Minnesota (Minnesota’s Smallest Town). He also hates talking on the telephone, and to make his point he hacked together this amazing Bluetooth headset. Inside, the guts are that same as you’d find in any other Bluetooth earpiece. Outside, it’s a gun.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2010

Just had to vent: a Facebook friend just posted four videos of her friend singing in the passenger seat of the car on the long drive home from vacation. It's all very silly and funny; they're both cracking up. And, of course, my Facebook friend is DRIVING while RECORDING these videos. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 17, 2010

So I still wonder what the story was, Maithal. Were you holding the phone up to your mouth?

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 29, 2010

Any updates on this one?