Getting Parents to Leave on the 1st Day

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by bdteach, Aug 5, 2007.

1. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I'm wondering what some of you do to include and then excuse parents on the first day of school? I'm teaching 2nd grade, and the 2nd grade classroom I worked in as an assistant last year never really dealt with this problem, until it became a big problem, at which time the teacher dealt with it improperly.

I know the first day will be different from the rest of the year--but what does everyone do the first day?

Thanks!

3. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Your principal really needs to make an announcement, over the intercom, that it's time for parents to leave so teachers - and students - can start their day. Although there's always one that thinks it doesn't apply to him/her!

4. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

For the 1st few days of school, we meet the children outside by the buses. When all the buses empty out and drop off is finished, we bring the students in. We do not allow the parents to come in due to security reasons. We really try to practice safety and security and tell the parents that we really need to start our day.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 5, 2007

Yep, we don't let parents in. Last year a kid came in late, and that's the only time I had the crying/hugging mom issue.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2007

Like jenglish97, our parents do not come into the school. The first day of school all staff is outside to meet the students and help them find their teacher. When it is time to go in, the teachers take in their students and the parents are expected to leave.

7. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

I don't know if it'll be the same way this year, but last year the parents were "invited" to stay the first day of school. Not invited by us, the teachers, but the district, so we didn't have a choice. Luckily no one did stay! I taught 3rd last year and I definitely think they're too old to have parents staying the first day. But, my plan if parents did show up, was to say hi, and tell the child where to go, then tell the parent, "thanks for coming, have a great day", and hope they got the hint that I didn't want them to stay! Like I said, no one did, but I'm teaching 2nd this year and that'll probably be my plan again! The first day is too important to establish routines, rules, and classroom environment as a class, without parents!

8. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

It was my principal who said I needed to figure out a plan for getting rid of parents, and suggested there may still be criers in 2nd grade. I think the best way to get over crying is to send the parents on their way. We have a back to school night before school begins, so it seems to me we shouldn't have to worry about this on the first day too!

I think I'll go with the majority and greet students at the door and have them say goodbye to their parents.

Thanks all!

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2007

It is a cultural thing

I take it since you are in California..you may working with several parents from different ethnic backgrounds.

Here is my experience. In Chicago, we didn't have that problem. Parents dropped kids off, and left! Period.

I taught for 1 year in So. Cal. I had kdg and 2nd grade. I could write a book about parents.

I learned, the hard way that certain cultures are very family orientated, and family is very important. They feel family is more important than anything. So from day 1 to day 181, I had 20 kids in line, and 20 parents EVERY MORNING!! I thought it was too bizarre! For every kid, I had a parent, a grandparent, a uncle, and a baby in a stroller, and a dog. And after the Pledge, and our announcements, all of these parents would follow us, across the lot, across the street, in the door, up the stairs to the door. I say, good bye, and they stand there. I say, would you like to come in and HELP me? They smile, nod, and do nothing! I close the door. Some kids cry, they pry my door open. I smile, reassure them, and they show up again, 1 hour before school lets out, camped outside my door.

In 2nd grade, I had parents come meet their kids in the cafeteria for lunch and spoon feed them. I had parents standing in line with me, after lunch was over, bring more food from home spood feeding kids. (these are healthy 9, 10 year olds) I needed to have a straight line, no talking, and all kids present to win perfect attendance. I never made it because my parents would be talking to their kids, or talking to each other, or if I got everyone quiet, my one kid would come, out of uniform!

All I can say is, it did not change, from August to June. If the principal does not change it, it will not change. So despite what he/she says, if they don't back it up, it will not change. The parents and community run the school.

I wondered the same thing when I went to the store, and 12 people would get out the car, and come in the store behind me. I can see bringing one, or two kids, if you are buying them clothes. If one is sick, and needs to see the doctor. But why does everyone in the entire family have to go??? Again, this is just their culture. In my house, Mom and Dad shopped, the rest of us stayed home with older siblings. End of discussion. If we all went out together, that was a family outing, picnic, or party!

For the same reason, as soon as a mother has a new baby, my girls would not come to school. They had to stay home and care for the family. This is second grade!!!

If somebody was sick or ill, the whole family would go back to visit and stay until they got better or died. They did not believe in leaving the children back with relatives. The entire family would be gone for months on end. Many children ended up repeating grades because they were so far behind, and due to low attendance, had to be retained.

Again, it has been my experience that this is the culture. And unless the principal changes policies, it will not change.

10. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

Our PTO has juice, coffee, and doughnuts in the commons for parents. Many parents do follow their children to their classroom with the morning bell the first day, but teachers can gently say that parents are welcome to stop in the commons and enjoy a cup of coffee. This usually does the trick.

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

I let the parents stay for about 20 min. to see our daily a.m. routine get started. Then I tell the kids, "Ok, time to get started tell your parents to have a great day, becuase you are going to, and you will tell them all about it over dinner." That usually works.

12. TeachGrade1

TeachGrade1 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I also let the parents come in the first morning of school. They drop off any extra supplies, and check out anything newly added to the room. If I see a parent that seems to be hanging around I go over and start a quick conversation with them. I end it by telling them to have a great day at work and have the child tell mom and dad bye. It's worked so far.