Getting paid once a month

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 10, 2009.

1. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jan 11, 2009

WHAT???? Say it's not so...Starbucks isn't a necessity? Oh my, I could never function without my daily trip to Starbucks...it's right on my way to school. I've just got to have my Venti Caramel Macchiato with extra driszzle and its 350 calories. Most days I also have a muffin or something along those lines as I have to work with 7/8th graders. Now you can see why I HAVE to run 4-5 miles daily. ;)

2. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

Everyone needs a vice. :)

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

or is it vise?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

The two schools I've worked for have been monthly pay. Here, when you sign your contract you can opt for a 13 month pay schedule so you get paid in August instead of having to wait until Sept. The pay is less, but you aren't having to use credit cards to get through to the end of Sept.

The district where I sub went to a bi-monthly pay period last year so we get paid on the 1st and 15th. My husband has always had a job that pays him weekly. I use my check for the house and cars. Hubby pays whatever bills come up weekly.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

Lemonhead-those definitely were great tips, thanks so much. :)

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

Well at least according to my husband who is not in a classroom all day with anywhere from 20-26 hormone filled teenagers. I do need my white chocolate mocha every morning.

MissCeliaB likes this.
  7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

Our district does this automatically, so whatever month you start teaching you get a check. I like having my check in the summer. I don't think I would do well if I got a lump sum during the summer. It wouldn't work for me.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

I also get paid once a month & dh is a student. By the last week of the month- we have zilch! I can make it until he graduates in May (hopefully!).

9. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

me too. :(

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 11, 2009

We get paid once a month, and our secretary is somewhat of a paycheck nazi. You cannot ask her anything about your check until after 2:00 on the afternoon of the 1st, or the first school day after the 1st. Also, and this is what is annoying to me, if you have a reimbursible expense, she won't write the check until the 1st of the next month. So the $180 in speech materials I had to buy the other day, I won't see until February. It's not like we are a huge school, we only have 20-some employees. It would be nice if she would write checks on the first and the 15th, or something.

DH is paid every 2 weeks, and I remember when he changed from every week to that. That was even painful at first. When you get used to it, it's ok-but it's the transition period that is awful. And this was right after we got married, and didn't know squat about budgeting! He is now salaried, so it helps to know exactly what his paycheck is every time (and mine too).

One thing I like about every 2 weeks, is that some months there are 3 paydays for him. We have a certain amount deposited into our checking, and the rest direct to savings so we don't even see it (this has helped A LOT!). So that 3rd payday is like a savings bonus every few months.

I still get a paper paycheck (I know, dark ages), so I cash it for cash every month. I pay our house payment right away, then what is left over, I use for household expenses. When the cash is gone, it's gone. His check is direct deposited, so I use online bill pay as much as possible, and he pays everything else.

Maybe not ideal, but it works for us. He comes to me when he needs cash, because if it was in his wallet, he would spend it.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

are you in a private school?

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

It's really all about what you get used to doing. I've always been paid once a month. So, it's just normal to me.

I get paid once a month, near the end of the month. I have all of the major bills set up to be paid within the first week of the month, so when I get paid I just sit down and do all the bills for the month. Whatever is left is what's left.

Personally, I would have a big adjustment if I got paid every week. I'd probably jsut have to "save up" all my weekly checks and still manage them on a monthly basis.

We get our June, July, and August checks deposited at the same time, and so many people talk about running out of money before their September paycheck. Even though my money is all in the checking account, I don't actually add it into my account until my normal "payday" date.

13. Feb 2, 2016

Teachers

14. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2016

I was paid once a month for my first few years of teaching. I would take all the bills and put them in an envelope and pay them as they came due. This way I knew what I had for the rest of the month. We got 12 checks so each month (in the summer) I would transfer that amt out of savings as if it was pay day. I still do that in the summer with 24 checks a year. I deposit like 5 checks in June and transfer the day that would be pay day. Not really a problem.

15. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 9, 2016

I used to be paid monthly, and I loved it! Now I have to be paid twice a month. I don't like it as much, because one check isn't quite enough to pay all of the bills I handle out of my bank account, so I have to pay bills twice a month now instead of just once. It's taking some time to get into a new routine.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 9, 2016

We use a free budgeting software called YouNeedABudget. It's really good at helping track where your money goes. We used it to get control of our spending, and then to start saving up for big projects. All of the money in our accounts has a job to do. Also, we know that we have enough saved for an emergency or for unexpected medical expenses.

Another thing we do that helps is we make all of our purchases (and pay most of our bills) on a rewards credit card. As a result, when we travel we always fly for free, and get steep discounts on hotel rooms. It makes it easily affordable to travel more often to see family or just on vacation.

We also keep our credit card available for true emergencies, like a major disaster at our home or major medical expense.

smalltowngal likes this.