Getting paid for summer workshops & training?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ECE ABC, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 23, 2014

Just curious...

Do all teachers get extra pay to attend these workshops and training in the summer months?

As a Para I only have one training (PMT refresher course) I must go to every year but its in October and I get paid for it because its after 3 o'clock, per our contract. The refresher is 3 hours.

I also get paid for the ''meeting'' we have before Summer School starts. That is included in our first summer paycheck.

Thank you:)

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 23, 2014

As a teacher, I do not get paid for workshops or training during the summer, or on the weekends or after school. If it is during regular workday, then a sub is provided by the school.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 23, 2014

I can put in a summer grant that, if it is approved, my school will pay me to attend, as well as my expenses.

This summer I'm developing new curriculum for 2 of the grades that I teach- which includes lessons, obtaining materials, creating homework assignments and assessments, and updating my curriculum maps. For 5 days of work my school is paying me $1000 - but it looks like I might have to continue to work longer than 5 days and I won't be paid for that extra time. (I can complete the work at home.)

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2014

Sometimes my district will offer something that is paid. This summer there was a financial literacy class (1 day on your own financial literacy, 2 days on teaching it in your classes) that was paid. I would have been all over going to that, but it literally started on our first official day of summer. We have a really short summer and school got out 3 weeks later than usual, so I just couldn't bring myself to sign up for a class right away.

Most of our PD is embedded into the regular school day. Kids will either have a late start, an early release, or the day off entirely. Most teachers who seek out workshops on their own look for ones that offer graduate credits. Although you don't get paid for attending, the credits can help you move up on the salary scale. Extra pay for having more credits is significant in my district, so it's worth it. I just got a $1700 raise just for getting my first 16 graduate credits!

6. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jun 23, 2014

NO Pay!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2014

This is how it is for us as well. We cannot be obligated to attend any training or workshops outside of our regular day.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2014

Once in a while a training will pop up with a stipend. My district has a two day PD with a stipend this summer. If I am returning to that district, I will attend.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 23, 2014

We do 5 days of training over the summer, but they are part of our contracted days for the following school year. So technically, they are paid, but it's not extra pay.

10. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 23, 2014

My district is paying me for 7 days of districted-provided training. It's actually 5 days of training and 2 days of planning with my team. I'm also going to a three day AVID summer institute, which they are paying for, but I don't think I get paid for those days. I'm not actually sure, though, maybe I do.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 23, 2014

I'll get paid for a couple in district workshops but nothing for out of district. They will sometimes pay for the out of district workshops if you ask nicely.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 23, 2014

Pay? Never! Sometimes the cost of the workshop will be reimbursed, but even that is rare.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 23, 2014

One day was not paid.
    Three days were paid through a grant ($300).
    Three days in July will not be paid.

Most of our PD is free to attend. And, I can drive a school car. (I usually drive my own truck, though).

The PD I am attending in July has a registration fee and requires overnight stays. My school is paying for this, but it required special permission.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2014

Sometimes certain PD's will have stipend attached to it. Last year I took over 100 hours of math PD. It was though a grant that our region center offers. I got paid some heavy duty money and got a computer plus they paid my way to a math conference. This year my district didn't want me to do it so I didn't but I'm kicking myself in the butt for not. Great PD, great pay, and could use the technology for my room.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2014

No, although my school will offer to pay to send teachers to PDs they want teachers to attend. Usually, these are a waste of time for the teacher.

This is why I don't attend summer PDs.

16. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 24, 2014

I don't get paid extra and attending a conference this summer is my choice, but my school pays for all conference/training expenses - airfare, meals, registration, hotel, etc. It helps me to be a better teacher, so I'm willing to give my time this summer without getting paid to attend it.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

Nope, no pay. Unless you're "special" and the school handpicks you for something. Then they'll cut a check for those teachers.