Getting over the holiday anxiety

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by BioAngel, Dec 30, 2008.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 30, 2008

I've been bad this holiday break :( I've taken off this whole vacation with no work being done and now I have 5 days to at least plan my first week back to school! While normally I know this isn't a big deal--- just dive into those huge stacks of grading papers, checking for missing HW, and seeing where I left off--- its honestly giving me a dose of anxiety so I'm just avoiding it.

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the grading... I have to... I don't have a choice, I MUST be caught up with it before I start back to school. I already have ideas in my head to finish up my unit and then start a new unit next week.... it's just scaring me. I feel like its the first day of school all over again... minus having to learn a ton of new faculty and 67 new students :blush:

I guess I'm just looking for some comfort that I'm not the only one feeling a little anxious to get myself caught up and ready to get through the work again. I think also I'm anxious about the upcoming observation by my headmaster (no date set yet) and how I hope I can finally stop losing my patience with my students. It's nothing HORRIBLE--- the worst I do is tell them "when you get into 6th grade, you'll be in for a huge surprise with having to do your work or else you'll fail out" (they don't get grades until 6th grade) and just some of their attitudes are HORRIBLE. Honestly though, I can say I love every one of them and just hope they get through life alright.

:dizzy:

3. SreevesTX

SreevesTX Guest

Dec 31, 2008

I feel your pain, I have reorganized closests, cleaned my son's room, packed away old clothes. . . . I finished a book I have been wanting to read in two days. That being said - my school bag is still by the front door waiting to be opened. I am sure I will find something else to do today - maybe I'll take an extra aerobics class.

4. Greensleeve

Greensleeve Rookie

Dec 31, 2008

I find it both anxious and exciting - I have so many new ideas that I will bring into my classroom and how I am going to change my ways that have not been working! I did a lot of reading over the break, and feel that I am slowly getting into the groove again to take on another semester.

5. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Dec 31, 2008

Oh I'm totally feeling the first day of school anxiety, but for me it kinda is the first day of a new year since we're on block schedule and I get whole new classes. Since I started in October, this is my first "first day" if that makes sense. I'll be teaching one class a second time (well the second half of it anyway) and a new class that is state-tested, so I'm adding a prep from h*ll. But I think my biggest problem is that I've gotten back into the habit of sleeping most of the day! :lol:

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 31, 2008

I'm feeling the same way. I've spent a total of 4 days over BREAK at school so far!!! The problem is that I've been organizing and cleaning the heck out of my classroom, but I haven't touched my plans. I love organizing and I hate planning. I'm planning on spending this Sunday in my classroom lesson planning and I'm absolutely dreading every minute of it.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 1, 2009

Ack~ I've been back to my school on two days over this 2 week vacation and that's just to feed my fish in the classroom :) My school is closed most of the time so we don't have a chance to go in and do work... which is good because I spent too much time last August in my classroom preparing.

After I made this thread, I did end up planning my next week~ most of the days I'm happy with but Thursday and Friday and I'm still not sure what to do exactly.

Well I'm going to attempt to start grading papers~ thought I'd quickly stop by and let you know I'm still dreading all of this but I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

8. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jan 2, 2009

No, you're not the only one. We're lucky and get a three-week break, so I don't start until the 12th, but still - I told myself I was going to do SO MUCH over this break, and so far, I've only managed to grade a couple stacks of papers.

I know I have all of next week, and my husband will be at work so he won't be a "distraction" :), but I've been enjoying this break so much and I'm not really sure I want to deal with the stress of school again. I'm nervous about it all starting again and not being as prepared as I wanted to be...but I also don't want to do anything school related.

I don't want the next week to pass!!! :)

9. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jan 2, 2009

Now that the holidays are done, I'm having the same worries. I actually went into school for three hours today. I got most of my planning for next week done (not sure if we're having things like guidance, so throws my schedule off), made the urgent copies and even got some things graded. I still have some stuff at home that I should grade, but the rest I left at school for Monday prep.

I'd been putting off school work because I am taking two grad classes (correspondence classes) and I was really hoping to get one finished over break. I did spend all of Tuesday working on it and would say I'm about 2/3 done. Looks like I'm going to have to focus on that again tomorrow.