getting out of a contract

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sciencegurl, Aug 24, 2009.

1. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I was laid off last spring and took a LTS position at a district an hour from my house. I signed a contract for the LTS position and school starts in 1 week. Today, my home school calls me back for a 1.0 middle school position (I have call back rights for 2 years). I have to take this. I know there is a penalty to pay to get out of my contract. Anyone BTDT and can offer advice? I'm freaking out a bit about calling the principal at the school where I have my LTS position (I'm waiting until the AM after I know my new position has board approval).

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

I backed out of my contract at the end of July. No penalties.

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

Your contract should specify what (or if) you have to pay in penalties.

5. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 24, 2009

It does---$750. How did the principal react when you backed out??

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2009

Last year I resigned from a position in the middle of the year to move back home. My principal was disappointed that I was leaving, but understood why. I think that if you just explain that you want to move back into a tenure-track position that is closer for you, then they would probably understand.

7. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 25, 2009

Well everything went well. The staff at the school I was resigning at was very supportive. Now on to a LTS position for Middle School Science (8th grade). Should be fun and interesting!

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 25, 2009

So did you have to pay anything to get out of your contract? Good luck!!!

9. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

I may have this problem too if I get the TA position I interview for on Friday. I just signed a contract for my LTS position today; didn't even know it was a contract - it was a single sheet of bright yellow copy paper, lol. Don't know what contracts usually look like but I wasn't expecting that. Anyway, I'm not worried because it said that I had 14 days if I wanted/needed to get out of it.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2009

I'm glad that it went well for you!

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 25, 2009

Glad to hear it went well. Good luck with your new position.

12. Youreapeach

Youreapeach Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

I have questions on this as well. I signed a temp contract for this school year. I taught Resource last year, but due to cuts, was bumped and left without a job. Then, one came up teaching a middle school self-contained class and I interviewed and got it. At first I was just so happy and thankful to have a job that I didn't think too much about my lack of experience and how totally unprepared I would be for this job! School starts Monday, and I'm seriously debating about what to do. If I leave, can I ever get a teaching job again, or will I have a black mark on me forever?? I have great references from my previous principle and psychologist, but they are in the same district. I'm afraid if I leave like this, they'll be so mad when they hear through the grapevine, that I'll get horrible reviews. Also, there really are no jobs out there right now. I am not sure what I'll do if I don't find another job. I'm so torn, but honestly I haven't slept in days, can't eat and literally feel sick to my stomach at the thought of taking on this job.
    Please give your thoughts on this!