Getting organized!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Woodbury, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Woodbury

Woodbury Rookie

Jan 24, 2011

My school has a 4x4 schedule so we are finishing up the first semester and starting the new one next week. I am really struggling with the best way to get organized with my lesson plans. This semester I kept a binder for each class and it was a lot to keep up with. I am thinking of going with one binder with all my classes. Also, does anyone have a template for a week of lesson plans?

3. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 24, 2011

I use a planner for my basic daily lesson plans (and most by now are pretty basic - I've been teaching for a long time!)and keep them so the next year it's easy to see what I did. I also put notes for changing the plan for the following year in the lesson plan book, so it's great for planning the following year because the changes needed are written right there and I don't have to dredge it up form my memory (what memory???) I keep a binder (bought at garge sales!) for more complex lesson plans, projects, and tests for each chapter in each subject area (I usually have at least four preps.) I usually can get at least three chapters in one big binder. I've tried other organizational methods but discovered that having everything for a class in one binder by chapter or topic really helped me the following year, when I needed to find something quickly (smile!) But I find that filing is a pain, no matter which method I tried...sigh...

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

I have one big binder where I keep a section for ALL my lesson plans, all my grade printouts (back-up only, since everything is on the computer), attendance printouts (again, back-up only), and class rosters. I like having it all in one place because it's easy to grab during a fire drill or something where I need to have my rosters. I figure that if there were a real fire and the computers and servers got fried, at least I'd have that binder which has all the important stuff in it.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

If you PM me your email address, I can send a copy of the weekly lesson plan template I use.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2011

I also use a planner to keep track of the pacing of my lessons; I don't write them out in detail any more. Major units--novels, Romantic poetry, etc.--each have a binder, plus lots of digital files on the computer. My "daily" binder has seating charts, attendance lists, and a paper gradebook. I finally figured out what works for me a few years ago--a divider for each class, the grade sheet after that, the seating chart in a page protector facing the attendance sheet. I insert the new attendance on top of the old so I can look back at previous weeks, and I make a note of when we had tests or projects due so I can see if certain students are always absent on due dates.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 24, 2011

I use GoogleCalendar to plan.
    Almost all of my stuff is on my computer. I have a folder for each class I teach, and within that folder, a folder for all of the units I teach.

I tried the binder thing, too much for me.