Getting Noticed!

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by teresaglass, Oct 27, 2013.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 27, 2013

How does the average para get noticed by administration and offered a position? How can beat just being average? Do they volunteer for extra duty or try to get into some of the school cliques. I feel really discouraged and depressed as a para. I am sure no one will hire me.:dizzy:

3. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 27, 2013

Do you mean that you are currently a para but would like to be hired as a certified teacher?

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 27, 2013

Yes I am currently a para. I am a certified teacher and was a special education teacher in the past. I am trying to get a chemistry authorization to teach science.

5. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 27, 2013

It doesn't work at my school.

6. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Oct 31, 2013

My district has hired so many certified teachers for para positions that they have not had to open certified positions up to applicants outside the district for two hiring seasons. They can fill whatever openings they have through internal para applicants.

I am a certified teacher, but couldn't get hired this past summer. So I am working as a para, and planning on applying for teaching positions next year. There are about ten paras in my school, and more than half of us are certified teachers still wanting to teach.

I think every district is a little different in how they approach the issue. For us, the cardinal sin is to approach the para position as if it is less than a teaching position. If we accepted a para job, we are expected to treat it seriously. The pay off is the ability to get good recommendations and references from the principal and teachers we are working with and that all important internal applicant status.

My advice would be to put everything you have into your work assignments, ask for references and recommendations (making sure that you point out specific instances in your work as a para that highlight skills important to teaching-i.e. being organized and being good with parents, etc.). Feel free to make up a packet with your resume, cover letter, etc. and give it to your principal if you feel comfortable doing that.

It can be a struggle, I think, to work as a para when you're a certified teacher yourself. I have only been doing it for a couple of months myself. I have today and tomorrow off (without pay) because our district is having parent-teacher conferences and we don't get involved with those. But I am the one who put together each student's conference packet and I know that every student in my 5/6 combo class has made gains so far this year. And I know I have helped make that happen. And I have hope that my time as a teacher will come eventually. So take pride in your current work!
    Sheilah

7. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jan 14, 2014

I was a para for two months after I taught-I was moving in October for my husband's work, and stayed to ease the transition for the new teacher. I did not have trouble finding spec. Ed. Jobs after that. How much teaching experience do you have vs. para experience?

8. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jan 17, 2014

9 years teaching and four years as a para.