Getting Nervous

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mego65, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I am getting really nervous about next year. I still do not have a job and have had only one interview. I keep hearing that it is not too late, but I'm starting to wonder. I am moving from CA to TX and I need some time to move, I would like to have a job before the beginning of the school year. I would hate to try to move in a rush. I just wish something would happen, sooner rather than later.

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 29, 2009

It's not too late. Teachers sign a contract about April/May. They have until mid-July to cancel their contract. Some teachers will wait until this date to cancel their contract because it gives them benefits for a longer period of time, and because they will continue to get paid through the summer where as if they do not sign a contract, they get a lump sum check. So, there will be more interviews, and there will be more openings. Keep the faith. Good things will come your way. Remember the next 2 weeks are traditionally the times when school districts close down, and principals take vacations. Principals will not be filling vacancies while on vacation. Best of luck and keep everyone informed.

4. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I know the feeling, I am in Texas and still looking.:dizzy:

5. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

It's still early in the game...but I'm with you it sucks not knowing and not having a job. Even though it's still "early" it doesn't make it any easier for those of us w/o a job. Principals around her are on vacation until July 27th by then I'll be flipping out haha :)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2009

mego~I understand the frustration. It seems that this year interviews/hiring is happening further into the summer than last time. Don't give up hope. I know you'd like to time to move and plan for the school year; however, I would prepare for anything.

Good luck!

7. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I'm in the Dallas/FT Worth area and nothing is happening either....

8. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I am totally in this boat!! Not much has been posted in my area lately. I would try areas a little bit farther away, but I don't have the greatest car in the world, and I can't afford to move. I have to keep my spirits up about the whole thing. Everyone keeps telling me not to lose hope because a lot of hiring gets done in August, but it still doesn't help me much with the here and now.

I have a friend who's going on her 3rd interview in 4 weeks on Thursday. I asked Mom if she thought I was doing something wrong....like faxing in apps instead of mailing them, or totally blowing my cover letter. She said it was probably the fact she's able to move and she's broadened her horizons that she's getting interviews. Still, it depresses me. I have 3 classmates who have jobs, and probably one more, and that makes me feel bad, too.

9. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I know how you feel. It's hard being in limbo. While I sit here trying to find a job and exhausting all options, I can't help but think what the heck am I doing come August?

Subbing again is always an option, but it's really getting hard to fight for sub jobs here. More people who are laid off from other professions are looking for cash and just subbing to make ends meet.

We still have time...I just know how you feel.

10. mom2alex

mom2alex Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I totally agree with what you are saying. I have put in applications for all of the districts near me even the ones that don't have jobs posted. I just graduated and I haven't even had one single phone call. I just keep reminding myself that something is going to happen for me. It also helps that my husband knows that I am doing everything I can to get a job. I really wanted to work in the county I live in (I previously was a parapro there) and I did my student teaching here, but they are on a hiring freeze. Keep taking deep breaths...that's what I am doing. My professors from college are swearing that come August schools will be hiring because they have to have someone in the classroom. Let's hope it's us!!

11. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Keep the faith everyone. That's all the advice that I can give. Keep applying and something will come up. :)

12. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 30, 2009

I am in the DFW area too. I have heard most districts in the area are closed for vacation right now. I hope things open up soon. If I hear of anything opening in my district, I will let you know. Keep the faith. :rolleyes:

13. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I'm also in the same boat. I just graduated as well, and I've put in quite a few apps, with no phone calls yet. We just can't get discouraged. I keep telling myself that something will happen. It might not be my first choice, or even ideal--but something will happen. (fingers crossed)!

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

It seems like hiring has come to a complete hault where I'm at. No new job postings, no calls for interviews, etc. I know...I hope things will pick up mid-July when admin start trickling back to work.

15. smalltowngal

Jun 30, 2009

emma~this year it seems things are happening later than last year. Did you say you didn't want to relocate?

16. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

I can't relocate and wouldn't want to even if I could...

17. smalltowngal

Jun 30, 2009

I was thinking of a district that's hiring, but it's a bit too far.

18. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Well, if it's any consolation my mother's BFF (going on 30 yrs!) has been a Principal for about 15 years and says that EVERY year at the middle/end of July she gets a boatload of non renews/retirements etc and has to hire lots of teachers!

19. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jun 30, 2009

:cool: It's true. It happens every year causing principals to hire quickly. So, take a break and get ready for the mad rush of calls that you are just about to get! Keep us informed! :woot:

20. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jun 30, 2009

I'm in the same boat--still applying everywher...not hearing anything. I think the worst part is not knowing...I'm a planner, I like to know where I'm going to be next week, next month etc.
    I'm staying positive--things will work out for all of us!!!

21. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jun 30, 2009

Where in TX are you tb71?

22. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

My sister in law is in administration so she reassures me daily that more will be popping up soon. But, I now have one and a half months to find out if I have a job, where it is, and then I have to move across the country. It doesn't seem like enough time. People ask me if I want to do stuff in a few weeks, and I say "No, I may be on my way to Texas, but ask me closer and I may still be here." I hate it!

23. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

Emma it really feels like things just stopped. I found a few new postings to the south, but besides that nothing.

24. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jun 30, 2009

I know what mego is talking about. I was looking last summer and we didn't get to go any where. Couldn't relax, stressed all summer. I got hired right before school but it was a temp. job. Now I am at it again. I want security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 30, 2009

i totally feel your frustration...i havent even had a single interview yet! probably sent out close to 40 resumes for actual open positions that were advertised and maybe another 20 to random districts.

26. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Jun 30, 2009

I'm in the same boat. I've been wondering if I'm just wasting my time. I have so many strikes against me. I think I've applied to about 50 jobs in just about every district south of Dallas. I can sub again this year, and don't mind doing it, but I really need a job in case my home situation gets too difficult to live in. I don't mind driving for a job, but I have a child going in second grade and would really like him to stay in a school he's comfortable in, at least the first year of teaching.

27. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

August just seems so far away.... :-( Even mid-July seems so far away, and it's only a couple of weeks!

28. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

It's just such a rollercoaster of emotions. Some days I'm like, "Yeah- this will work out. I gotta keep the faith!" and others I'm like, "Am I wasting my time? Nothing is happening."
    One thing is for sure... if/when it does happen, I will appreciate my job so much more after these months of suffering.

29. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 1, 2009

I'm a nervous wreck right now. I'm waiting to hear back from Monday's interview. It's my best shot at finding a position for this year. I've been so close a few times this past year and I'm scared to death that this will end up being the same way. I've managed to avoid subbing by collecting UE and I'll be getting another extension till the end of the year if all else fails. I'm tired of doing nothing. I just want to teach and I really don't care what subject.

30. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 1, 2009

i just found out that my best shot at a job this year was given to someone else without so much as an interview. talk about discouraged.

31. smalltowngal

Jul 1, 2009

:hugs: guys!!

MAT~I hope that you hear good news today!!

Ford~I had days like that as well. Don't give up though!

32. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

I also think the same thing. I don't know how things will turn out. I'm iffy on some of the things being posted here such as prinicpals are on vacation and people always wait until July to renew or not renew their teaching contract. That might have worked 5 years ago, but with the current unemployement rate at 9.6%, I don't know if there is going to be as many people leaving their jobs.

33. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Well, this morning I got an E-Mail asking for an interview tomorrow. So, hopefully this is it.

34. smalltowngal

Jul 1, 2009

Crossing my fingers, mego!!!!

Don't give up hope!!! I've been interview late July, early August, even in Oct!

35. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

Yay mego65!!!

Don't give up hope guys....all of my job offers have come in August!!

36. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 1, 2009

:)Best of luck!

37. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

So far all I'm seeing posted are things I'm not qualified for....counselor, special ed, administration....very discouraging. I did see a posting I'm qualified for today, but it's in my district. I've already interviewed there and gotten rejected. I feel like reminding them about little ol' me, but I also feel like it's a huge waste of time.

38. smalltowngal

Jul 13, 2009

txteach~nothing is a huge waste of time. Apply for EVERY position you're qualified for, even if its in a district you've interviewed with before.

39. djaychad

djaychad Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I had a great interview a month ago at my son's school (a private school). The Principal said she could not give me an exact time frame she would get back to me since they were doing at lot of activities at the school. I just don't know what to do and what to think. It is very frustrating. We have communicated twice since the interview, but she did not indicate anything! I am sooo frustrated. I have send out resumes since, but heard nothing. I contacted those secretaries,and they told me my resume was on the Principals' desks

40. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 18, 2009

Yeah! I am so glad for you. I HOPE that this is it!!!!!:)

41. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

Good Luck Mego!!