Getting Nervous

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mr.history, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 20, 2017

So I mentioned before that I moved districts and schools this year. (as well as grade levels!)
    This week I have actually started setting up my classroom, meeting teachers, and continued planning (we start school on August 1st). I moved from a title 1 high school in a rural district to a metropolitan district in a very upscale part of town. As I get to know my school more and more I'm starting to get nervous. Not because of the people but because procedural things are so different. At my old school we did not co plan, have common assessments, create data notebooks, ect. We were pretty "old school" and I had a lot of success in that school. Now my head is spinning with all the new things I'm having to incorporate. I'm a 5th year teacher (I know still a newbie) but in some ways I'm feeling like I'm brand new.

I'm also moving from 11th grade US History to an 8th grade US History course that focuses on the state I live in. I'm not worried about the content because they are fairly similar but all these other changes have me a little concerned. Anyone ever move from a laid back district to a more involved one? I feel like all I've been doing is asking 100 questions a day to my coworkers.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2017

I haven't had quite the same experience as you, moving from old school rural to upscale metro, but I have experienced changing districts and being overwhelmed by it. Last year was my seventh year teaching and my first year at my current district. I've worked in schools requiring common assessments, collaboration, and all sorts of other things before, but something about my new school was different. I remember very much feeling like a brand new teacher last year, despite the six years of experience from three other schools that I brought with me. I even broke down crying one day (alone in my room) due to a feeling of being completely overwhelmed and somewhat confused. All that said, I've probably grown more as a teacher in this one year than I did in all the six that came before it. And I'm working in the best school I've ever worked in - the one that I never want to leave. So, it was all well worth it.

You'll get through it, too, and you'll be better for it.

vickilyn likes this.
  4. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jul 21, 2017

I've been at my school for a few years but I sometimes feel quite overwhelmed because they are always jumping on the latest education buzzword or bandwagon. It's not a bad thing to want to improve and keep up with education trends, but the culture has really put the pressure on me to constantly keep researching, learning and applying new knowledge. It's a problem when there isn't enough hours in a day to do this on top of everything else.

For you, it probably feels overwhelming because its new and a different way of working, but once you get into your groove you will feel more settled. It's a great thing that you are co-planning and having common assessments. I have this at my school and I can tell you that it does help you to learn from other teachers and vice versa and I totally agree that it makes you a better teacher. You are lucky!

5. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Jul 22, 2017

I think we all get overwhelmed at times. For me, we have had almost five different principals in the last decade of my school. They have all been so different that it is hard to adjust to each new one. Our district often does jump on the bandwagon and then drop it and move to something else. I hate to say this, but almost all of the new stuff is a total waste of time. Like, we get a new program, spend years adapting it and training in it, then it gets dropped just when it seems like it is working.

When I last moved to a new school, I tried not to keep saying, "At my old school, we did ...." It was hard not to but I found that people really didn't care. I also tried to email some of my question because I would get different answers from different people. I basically ended up relying on one person in my subject area and one person in my grade level for the most help.

You sound like you are in a great school. I hope it works out and you have a successful year!