Getting more and more frustrated

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mommyre, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I am losing hope of ever finding a job. I know God will put me where he wants me, but really, can we get on with this? I have and MAEd in Sped and a BA in Eled. I can't even get calls for interviews right now. Three years ago when I was applying I got several offers and many interviews. Now, nothing. I have updated my resume yet again, so maybe something will come along. Anyone else feeling this way? I just want to cry. I have sent out more resumes than I can count!!!!
    :mad::banghead:

3. loveallkids

loveallkids Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

Hi. I'm sorry that you're feeling so hopeless but please, don't lose hope! Keep your chin up and keep at it. You'll get a job! We are in extremely difficult times right now and you have to keep reminding yourself of that. You're not alone. With the cutbacks and job losses, it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. There are many people who are in the same boat as you and I'm sure many will empathize. How frustrating it must be to keep sending out resume after resume and hear nothing back! I'm about to join you, for I'm only still working on refining my resume! Luckily, I'm substituting and have a two day a week preschool position. I want nothing more than to have a steady, reliable paycheck!! So, yes, I hear you. Just know that this will pass and you'll land that job that you've been working so hard to get. It won't stay like this forever....it just won't. Good luck.

4. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

im in the same boat.. and i have an army of educators willing to go to bat for me, but apparently no administrators so far.

5. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I know I need to think positively, but I just don't feel very positive lately. I may start subbing soon, if I don't find something, but unfortunately, the daily sub pay means I will lose my unemployment if I sub more than 2 days a week, but won't get paid for more than a month, I don't know if I can go that long w/o a check. GRRR

6. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

Don't feel bad about being frustrated, and don't beat yourself up over an off day. In your situation it's perfectly natural that you are going to be negative sometimes. Life is not always rosy and positive. Throw yourself a pity party, hell- take a day if you have too. In a day or so, when you feel better, THEN start thinking of ways to change it.

I know you realize the importance of a resume, but have you considered updating it, retouching it? JUst an overall revamp. Not only could that make it better, but it would also give you something to good to focus on!

Have you exhausted all possible options? Have you called back to see about the positions you were offered in the past? Maybe if you mentioned to them you were looking for a job, they would keep you in mind the next time they had an opening :) No harm in trying.

And you mention you have a masters- Have you contacted any community colleges in your area? It may not be your ideal age group, but there may be an opportunity for you to teach a few classes. It wouldn't be full-time, but it'd be a paycheck and something else to add to your resume. :)

I can really feel your frustration from the post. It's a tough market, but there IS a place for you somewhere! It sounds like you are under a lot of stress and job hunting isn't helping. Give yourself breaks and try not to burn yourself out. Focus on what you do have going for you, and everything else will come together.

7. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I updated my resume today. My sister is a social worker and has helped many clients with their resume as well as been responsible for hiring employees. I completely revamped the whole thing tonight. I have updated my cover letter and references in the last week as well. Many of the previous schools to make offers now have new principals, but I am looking in the same system so maybe I will come across some of the old principals who offered positions before. I am stressed for a great deal of reasons as well, since my personal life has recently undergone a great deal of changes. You are very perceptive! Thanks for the encouragement.

8. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I'm sorry you are under a huge amount of stress mommyre- and I wish you nothing but luck in your search. It can be difficult to focus, especially when you are dealing with a lot of changes (hopefully not negative!). Make sure you take a break every once in a while and clear your head. It helps with getting a fresh perspective.

Take a bubble bath, have a cup of tea- these things are not expensive and will do you a world of good as far as stress is involved.

Our SpEd kiddos are going to call for you eventually- and they'll need your rested up :)

9. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Speechy.

I need an opinion from anyone willing to answer this: I am ADHD and tend to forget some things the interviewer says when I am asking questions at the end. Would it be appropriate to make "notes" of the answers as interviewers do in the beginning? I have never done that, but think it might show my serious interest in their answers and that I am taking steps to overcome my weaknesses. Or should I just listen intently and pray I remember the answers until I get home? I also fear that it would look silly or just bad, so I have never tried it. I can start a new thread to get it answered if I need be.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

mommyre, sorry this is happening to you. Believe me, you're not the only one! So several yrs ago, when you say you got several job offers, what became of them resulting in you not working now? Have you been subbig all these last few yrs?

No, there's nothing wrong w/ bringing in a notepad to jot notes. I think it makes the applicant look better because it shows they don't want to miss or forget anything. :)

I've got an MA in Sped & 2 credentials. Was hired the summer I graduated for '06-'07, but that only lasted a yr. I didn't really apply for any other jobs, but did go on 1 other sped interview, didn't get the job (& didn't really care that I didn't).

In '08, I returned to school, got my SLPA (speech-lang path asst) license & am now in grad school AGAIN working on my MS in communication disorders & sci.

All we can do is keep chugging along! Good luck!

11. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I took one of the jobs but it seems to have turned out to be the wrong choice. I left the position and got my MA and went to work in 2 community colleges, but both jobs got cut. (I think I have the worst luck in the world, haha) So I am again looking for a full time position. I would love to work part time right now, but am going through a divorce (don't feel bad, congratulate me!), so I can't afford not to go full time. I have applied in the public school systems, private schools, colleges, community colleges, charter schools, etc. within a 150 mile radius, and only had 3 interviews. 2 I thought went well, but they focused on my need to relocate, so I think I lost out for that, the other was just one of those days.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 8, 2011

I see, well, good luck w/ everything! You've applied at a LOT of places! :dizzy:

I personally do NOT want to return to special ed teaching. I switched gears to the SLP field & that's where I want to stay!

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 8, 2011

Have you been substitute teaching during this time? Substituting is still the most sure fire way to get noticed and get your foot in the door. (At least in the states that I have worked in.) I would make sure lessons were done as described in the plans. I would leave the teacher notes. And I would straighten the room and clean the board before leaving. I wanted the teachers to remember me when that all important job became available. It may not be glamorous and I HATED substituting but I did it for half a year until I was able to find a job. GOOD LUCK! Crunch time is just around the corner. More opening will become available.

As for taking notes, I suppose that would be fine. I guess I might find it a bit odd as an interviewer. I would probably be more focused on the fact that you were not speaking to me but scrawling notes. If you are not sure of a question, just ask them to repeat it and ask for clarification. You can have notes beforehand, and questions ready to ask at the end. I have interviewed a lot of teachers this year, and no one took notes. So, I am not quite sure what that might look like. I guess I am in a place of .... I don't really know.

14. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Thank you Ms. I! SCTeach, I meant during my questions, while listening to their responses, jotting notes on how they responded. I see what you mean though. I am thinking about going back to subbing, but I really don't know.

15. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Aug 8, 2011

mommyre, you sound like you might be from my neck of the woods, where sped/eled people are a dime a dozen. May I suggest adding on secondary certifications? Here in PA you cannot teach at the secondary special ed level without being highly qualified or having an additional certification... and the elementary sped jobs tend to be filled up already. Although I haven't yet found a job, I have been on several interviews where the principals have told me that it REALLY sets me apart that I have these additional certifications... apparently no one has these things!

16. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I have certainly considered this, but financially this is not possible right this minute. First paycheck and I will take whatever certification tests they want, but on less than 200 a week in unemployment, the testing would take almost a week's pay! UGGGG seems so unfair, but someone needs me! I just don't know who.

17. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I'm not sure where you're located on the east coast but try looking at http://mosaicaeducation.com/

They have several openings for Special Ed. Good luck!

18. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

I will check it out!

By the way all, I put together a portfolio to take on interviews. I have a personal information section (Resume, cover letter, philosophy, reference list), Classroom resources (lesson plan and activity samples), Reflection and Observations, Professional Development and Education (PD Log, test scores- Praxis, and License), and Reference letters. I don't have a great deal of experience, but I thought this would be a start. Any feedback? I am trying anything to get noticed in an interview, etc.

My sister has been in charge of hiring and is a social worker who has held numerous trainings on resume development, and she suggested taking notes during an interview. I guess I will try it. She says she always does it.

19. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Aug 8, 2011

It sounds like you are doing everything you can. Good luck!

20. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 8, 2011

Thanks for the luck!