Getting licensed for a new subject area while teaching full time??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissEducation, Jul 13, 2011.

1. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Jul 13, 2011

Has anyone successfully added a new subject area to a license while maintaining a full-time teaching position? I'm trying to figure out if this is at all possible for me.

I'm licensed in secondary English ed in Indiana. I have a Spanish minor and have thought about incorporating this, but don't know if I can squeeze it in while still teaching English full-time. I don't mind taking a class or two each semester until it's finished, but the student teaching is the part that I always get stuck on.

Do all programs require you to student teach in your subject area? Are there options for working teachers? I know it *can* be done in a pinch...For ex., I had a friend who student taught for an additional subject area in her own classroom, but this was because her school hired her on an emergency license for a class she was not (at that time) licensed to teach.

My school doesn't even currently offer Spanish classes. If they did start offering said classes, could I teach one or two of them (if my school hired me, obviously) and have this constitute?

Could summer school be an option? These are high school classes that are taught in my area for students who failed during the year, so the curriculum and hours are the same as a semester-long class packed into 6 weeks.

For me, student teaching was far more valuable in learning classroom management and the ins and outs of being a teacher - not so much concentration on the subject area, which has always been a very strong area for me. I don't feel teaching middle school Spanish would be a far cry from English as long as I had a strong knowledge of the subject matter.

Just trying to sort this all out...TIA.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

In my state you don't need to do student teaching for every subject you want to add to your license. You just need the student teaching component for the first thing on your license. If you want to get additional endorsements, you have to take the classes and pass the appropriate Praxis tests.

In addition, in my state you can usually add an endorsement with just a minor. Here you wouldn't even need to take extra classes if you already have a Spanish minor. You'd just have to pay the fee and fill out the form.

Have you looked at what your state requires?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

5. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Jul 13, 2011

I have been looking at that too, thanks. I guess it just seemed bizarre to me that you can just take the test and then teach it, but if so, that's awesome for me! (I mean, does that mean I could just cram a bunch of biology info into my head, take the Praxis II and then be a science teacher?) Indiana doesn't exactly value the professionalism of teachers, but since it works in my favor in this case, I won't complain...I'd MUCH rather just take a test!

Thank you!

6. smtownEngteach

smtownEngteach Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

It works the same way in my state as well. Yes, theoretically you pass the Praxis for Science and then become certified to teach it if that is what you wanted to do.
    I am certified to teach Middle School Social Studies and Lang. Arts. Last fall while I was trying to find the job I took and passed the High School Social Studies Praxis. In Missouri, after you have passed the test, you go online and fill out the form and they will add it to your certification (you have to be up-to-date on background checks and a couple of other things).

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 13, 2011

I became certified for teaching Family and Consumer Science just by taking the test. I have my degree in el ed and just did the FACS as an add-on. Odd as it seems, yes, in many states you can just take a Praxis test and add that certification on to an existing one.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2011

In my state you have to take tests and have so much coursework to add to your certificate. But you do not need to student teach again for additional certificates, endorsements, or subject areas.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2011

For my master's I'm having to do an on the job practicum. In order to put the endorsement on my certificate I have to have the coursework, the recommendation of my university & pass the test, then pay the fee to the state.

10. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

I have an elementary ed. degree and currently teach middle level math. Obviously I had to get that certification. Thankfully I did not need a lot of classes. I completed the classes I did need through University of Phoenix online. Some of the courses are only 3 weeks long!! I did not have to complete any student teaching. I simply completed the course work and sent in a form required in SC to add on certification with my transcript and it was that simple.

Yes it is extra work and there will be some things you have to put on the back burner and you will prioritize differently. But it is very much "doable". More education can never hurt you, only help you so I say yes go for it!

11. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

I teach in IN too and that's exactly how it works now for everything except for Special Ed certification and a couple of other licenses. Just take & pass the Praxis II, submit your scores and pay your $36.50 to get it added to your certificate. I'm already certified to teach Middle School Math but I just added 5 - 12 Business Ed with my Praxis score. I'm going to take the Secondary Math exam just to get the extra certification too. Heck, I might just keep taking tests and adding certifications until the state changes their mind about this! :)

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 13, 2011

Oh yes, I also had to take and pass the PRAXIS II