Getting Kids to Move Quicker

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutelilram, Sep 7, 2014.

1. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Sep 7, 2014

We have been back to school for two days but my students move too slow. They are not completing their work and are having trouble focusing. I feel that this is going to be more than a getting back into school problem. What do you do to get your students to move quicker to finish work? I have 30 students in my class.

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

We see this in high school too. Some things that work for me are: increased energy as I talk, setting timers, working even faster/expecting more and assigning undone work as homework.

At your level maybe planning in some play time that the students who finish can have but those that dawdle miss out on? As in, "when you finish you can get on Starfall on the computer until everyone catches up..."

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 7, 2014

It's two days, and they still have summer brain. I wouldn't make any long-term conclusions yet.

I find that visible, electronic timers get kiddos moving though.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2014

This year I've been setting clear time-limits, and shorter time limits than what I'd naturally think to give. I do this often like:

Okay you have 2 minutes to complete this task.

Okay now complete this task you have 30 seconds.

Okay now I need you guys to do this. You have 3 minutes.

When I break up complex tasks into this way, the kids are less confused about what to do, they are moving to beat the clock, they know I'm assessing every single time to see that they are doing what they should, and we actually get a lot more done in less time (even though it might seem the opposite).

I usually noticed that kids moved slow when they were unsure of what to do, or they have complex multi-step tasks that weren't clearly communicated. I would even take full worksheets and break it up into a few problems at a time and tell them they have a certain amount of time to get those done, then we'd check our answers, and move onto the next set.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 7, 2014

I like this a lot.

I might try it this week.

7. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Sep 8, 2014

Thank you, I will try this and the other suggestion with the free time.