Getting Kids to be Quiet

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pacificpastime, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Oct 13, 2010

Hello, I am new to AtoZ and am excited to learn from fellow teachers. I would like to know some of the various ways you get your class to be quiet. I have used many different ways over the years, but want to learn new ways that may be more effective. Thanks so much!

3. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 14, 2010

Don't "knock" the previous things that work. I teach 8th grade, and I use the "3 finger method." If kids are getting loud, I hold up one finger (a few quieten down), then the 2nd (more and more kids get quiet). Students know that anyone not being quiet after the 3rd finger receives a parent letter or discipline referral. So, I usually do not have to put the third finger up. Sounds nuts, but it works. Oh yea, I don't have to say a word during this. :D

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2010

"Clap once if you can hear me now.
    Clap twice if you can hear me now.
    Clap three times if you can hear me now."

By the end of the third, all is quiet and they can hear me.

5. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Oct 20, 2010

Proximity.
    Do you keep table points? Moving next to the board (marker ready) where you tally table points gets kids quiet.

6. prek176

prek176 Companion

Oct 21, 2010

I have tried all my usual tricks with this years class with limited success. I've tried the Connect Four whole class reward (still ongoing), personal rewards (works great for the ones who are quiet and follow directions anyway- some of the others are still working on earning the required 20 stamps), 1 2 3, missed recess, red light/green light, etc. Finally today I used a token type punishment system and OMG the results were amazing!! I have a group that can NOT stop talking but as soon as I started putting red tokens on desks you could hear a pin drop!! 3 red tokens and they owe me recess. A few kids "earned" 1 and another child "earned" 2. You don't have to say a word, just place one on their desk. Very easy and seems to be effective. My day for the first time this year was amazing!! (I did explain the process to the children before hand telling them that I was very sad that the reward system wasn't working as well as I had hoped and that now I would have to try a punishment system.They were very quiet through the whole explanation. At the end of the day I took back all tokens explaining that tomorrow would be a new day. We'll see what happens!)

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2010

One-two-three-eyes on Me.
    Also, I show them the peace sign (signal), and they show me theirs and turn their voices off. That's really all I do and it works.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2010

I'm just curious, what grade do you teach?

I've done 1-2-3 eyes on me
    Give me five (Harry Wong)
    Tootsie roll lollipop we've been talking now we stop (I think this is Dr. Jean??)
    P.A.T. (my favorite form of managing time and behavior)

9. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Oct 22, 2010

"If your listening, touch your head (nose, ear, elbow)"

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2010

Class, Class!

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 23, 2010

Are you talking about tricks (like above; all of which work BTW) to get the class to quiet down? Or, are you talking about creating a quiet working environment? Two different things IMO.

12. englishteach7

englishteach7 Companion

Oct 23, 2010

What is P.A.T.?

Also, what is the best way to quiet down seventh graders IYHO?

13. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Oct 23, 2010

I tried this with my difficult class this week

Teacher: Hey class?
    Students: Hey what?

Then they are quiet if not you say it again. You can also say it in different voices, slow, fast, deep voice, high voice...etc. They seem to like it because they get to talk too. I also so someone use it where after the teacher gets the attention and says what they need to they say ok? And the class replies yes ma'ham (or yes sir).