Getting kids settled

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by filochica, Sep 2, 2008.

1. filochica

filochica Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

I am a student teacher in the 4th grade and my question is about how to get kids settled down when returning to the classroom. I bring the kids from lunch back to the room. Prior to lunch, they have had a special AND recess, so it takes a lot to get them quiet. I have tried telling them how 4th graders act as compared to 3rd graders and have a system where they get to put up a "gumball" (a sticker) on a large gumball machine cut-out. I have thought about turning out the lights as well to get their attention. Any suggestions from experienced teachers? Thanks.

3. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 2, 2008

I have seen teachers turn off lights & read to them. I used to do silent reading with quiet music after recess. :D

4. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 2, 2008

Our schedule's so regimented that we have to start math right after recess and continue it right after their special. I hate it. I've always enjoyed doing a read-aloud right after recess (and allowing for drinks/bathroom). Can't do that here.

5. filochica

filochica Rookie

Sep 2, 2008

I should have mentioned- in the 20 minutes before they switch for their afternoon class, I have to get them to switch their books/take bathroom breaks/do cursive handwriting instruction and have them ready on time, but I am spending half that time just trying to get them to quiet down so they don't miss any directions.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 2, 2008

Maybe have them get their books for the afternoon ready b-4 lunch. Then I'd have the handwriting ready to go...on the overhead or desks. Then as they enter they can get right to it. Those that are working can use the RR & get drinks first. You could still do quiet/ calming music in the background. If you have clipboards, those students that follow directions can grab a board & find a calm spot on the floor to work.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 2, 2008

Go back to teaching procedures until it is drilled into their little heads. My problem was always getting the calmed down enough in the morning to prepare for the day. I heard this trick somewhere (maybe here?) and decided to try it. When you take the kids to the bathroom (or just before) tell them exactly what your expectations are (enter silently, do what needs doing, wash hands, get out, drinks only after restrooms) and have them repeat it. Do this everytime you take a restroom break prompting them less and expecting them to be able to recite more of the expectations with out prompting. They'll get it eventually. You might ask them if they think they need restroom monitors to report when someone is not following procedure of if they think they are mature enough to handle themselves without a monitor. put that way, they may respond well (rather than comparing them to 3rd graders.) As for entering the room, walk them as far as about 3 feet in front of the door. When you get to this point, tell them exactly wah you expect them to do (First, go to your cubbies and put everything away you don't need. Second, get your materials for math and reading and take them to your desk. Third, begin working on your bell work silently while I read aloud from our novel.) Again, make them repeat it back to you. If you see someone is having trouble remembering what to do, you might say something like (I see Shauna has put her things away and is getting her materials ready. She knows what to do.) I would do this every time we enter the room from arrival to dismissal just to get them into the proper routine. This year I have started greeting my children at the door and stopping small groups to review the procedures each day (Enter the room silently, make your lunch selection, unpack bags, check the schedule and get morning materials, etc.) We are almost to the point where they just walk in and get started without my help. Yea!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 2, 2008

I read for 20 minutes to my kids. Well, a chapter or two. That takes about 20 minutes. We just finished Ramona Forever-that's the first chapter book I've ever read aloud all the way through! I'm really happy. ;) We're going to start the Thief Lord next. The kids love that time. They lay on the floor, take their shoes off, and just listen. It def. gets them settled down.